DJI, SBUS, and 8 motors?????

crcr

Thats a pretty good result for a Hexa setup.

I'm guessing an Octo in the X8 configuration should be ok?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
no for the ok you can't say okay or not. The hexa redundancy you see in the video is a specific feature just for hexas ( with other words for the S800). Octos are uncommented. I never had a in flight motors stop or prop brake on a octo. So i don't know what happens !

It would be nice though if DJI would program a similar feature for octos !

But feeling wise an X8 should give more redundancy than a flat octo ! But maybe someone can comment on it that already had a situation were this came to the test.

Boris

jffry7

aka TruckBasher
I have lifted an X8 with one motor now powered. I thought it was working as the prop was on the bottom motor was spinning it but I felt a slight yaw. so after 30secs I put it down without issue. I tried to re-arm after landing thats when I notice one is not powered.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
There are videos just can't find them right now ! Were DJI lifts of with several different configs were one motors is not on. X 8 was also included. Just keep in mind there is a difference between taking off with mine motors disabled and a motor stopping in flight.

thats the nice thing about the dji hexa redundancy feature ! If you look closely they switch off the motors in flight !

Boris

mbsteed

aerial video centric
I have had a motor quit mid flight with my Hoverfly octo and honestly, I couldn't even tell anything had happened. I haven't had that happen with my ocoto WK-M but hope it would be as stable.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I have had a motor quit mid flight with my Hoverfly octo and honestly, I couldn't even tell anything had happened...

I have had three props break on the MK Octo and on each occasion I only knew about it because I saw something fly off sideways. The Octo continued flying as before.

I then changed to APC props and haven't seen it again.

Aviator

I have lost a prop and didn`t notice any difference in stability, a friend was filming it at the time with his iphone he didn`t film the landing unfortunately but as you can tell it was perfect..
Dont understand why so many people have stated they lose control with a motor down on an Octo?

Last edited by a moderator:

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Early on the WK-M wasn't programmed to deal with the loss of a motor and there were some horror stories - apparently now that has been rectified, this is really reassuring to see evidence of that.

questech

Well I am no expert but I am running futaba R6203 sbus X8 quad. And I dont know if I understood your question correctly, but here goes. Basically the SBUS free up the input of the WK-M allowing you to make it as output for servo/gimbal while the F1 F2 to be converted to motor output making it 6 + F1 F2 8 motors. So one servo lead from RX to WK-M / 6 motor + F1 F2 / T & R (gimbal)

Or did I completely misunderstood your question?

Hello, this is my first post here, so thank you in advance for your support!

I'm building an octocopter and am using the NAZA-M with the updated firmware to use it with an octocopter.

I have the Futaba T8J transmitter with the R2008SB SBus Receiver (8 channel).

Realizing that I have to use F1 & F2 as M7 & M8, I am at a loss as how to run my gimbal now.

You are the first person that I heard a solution from, but I don't fully understand your explanation. Could you explain it in more detail as to how exactly I set it up and what I connect to what in order to get it to work?

Thank you in advance, you are a life saver!!!

AM

questech

As Jffry said its similar to the Mk with Jeti as only needs one output from the receiver to WKM but will still give out all the channels .
And frees up the Camera gimble ports which would be used if you did not have S-BUS with a OCTO set up.

Geoff

Hello,

But you still have to plug in the gimbal somewhere??

I only use pitch control so I plug my control board into F1. Not only does it allow me to control the pitch with my VR dial, but I assume that it also communicates to the gimbal control board to help it keep the camera level.

So with my F1 port being used to power a motor, where do I plug that connector into in order to keep my camera level and allow me to control the pitch?

Thanks in advance!

AM

mbsteed

aerial video centric
Hello,

But you still have to plug in the gimbal somewhere??

AM

As I recall you are using a Naza and that only supports a hexacopter not an octocopter - I could be wrong but that is what I remember' I use a WKM with an octocopter and have to use a different gimbal controller for the camera because the motor 7 and 8 take up the ports for the camera controller on the WKM so I use a Hoverfly gimbal controller).

soler

Naza supports an octocopter now in the recent firmware. However you will lose the ability to use the FC as a gimbal controller, maybe you should consider using a BGC or other closed loop gimbal controller that does not need to be plugged into the FC.

questech

Well Guys,

When everything is said and done, I found a solution.

First of all, my gimbal controller doesn't need any help from NAZA, it works all by itself. So it will keep my camera stable on its own.

Now I can just take my extra CH5 and just plug the gimbal into that and everything works just fine!

Thanks for all of your feedback, and I hope this helps someone else as well.

Anthony