DJI S1000 Owners Thread - Mini Build Log

fdproductions

FD Productions
Thanks Tahoe, after speaking directly with DJI America they seemed to not even want me to send data logs, but I can PM them to you if you'd like I've already sent a copy to Kloner as well. I'm still trying to get my hands on the software and how best to plot the channels...
I think the two posts above summarize what I would have asked. With an expensive craft like the S1000, an iOSD MK II with flight logging is always advisable incase something happens. The logs don't lie and sometimes when things go wrong we don't have time to think let alone remember all the sequence of events. I hope you can forward the log to DJI. That may save you the cost of shipping.

fdproductions

FD Productions
Sorry to hear about your fly-away and subsequent destruction. I am curious as to what you were doing just before it took off? Were you hovering, moving? What flight mode were you in? What, if anything, did you try to regain control? Did you have any hard landings prior to this flight?

hovering in gps mode, tried switching to atti, manual, then failsafe, no hard landings ever prior to this flight. I will say though the aircraft would have some glitchy tendencies i've never really experienced with other A2 rigs i've had, the flight mode would switch on its own and happen at the strangest times, i fly atti mode 85-90 perecent of the time and sometimes when the aircraft would come back from filming i'd notice my iosd say gps mode even though my futaba switch was at 2nd position which is atti (this is not an endpoint issue). also oddly enough, the aircraft would spaz out so to speak when switching from ATTI to GPS mode way more than any other multirotor i've flown its almost like a forced stop mid-air (i know they are designed to do this on gps lock but for some reason the s1000 almost overreacts to any slight movement prior to gps mode and while in transition from atti and then realizes its over corrected and moves back in the gps lock direction. when flying aircraft close its was quite a scary experience but not one worthy of grounding the aircraft. one time i did notice the iosd read an acclerating forward flight for no apparent reason while the aircraft was on the ground, should this happen to any of you don't fly until DJI has inspected your equipment. simply restarting the aircraft is not the solution or waiting for another lcoation or day when you don't see this and have more satellites.

Tahoe Ed

If my craft were exhibiting that behavior I would not fly it until the source was found. I am thinking that you may have a bad GPS puck. Send me the flight log and I will forward to DJI HQ for analysis.

Spare Parts Inventory

I had similar issues with a brand new top of the line ASUS Notebook PC a few years back. The battery failed within the warranty period. Retailer indicated the manufacturer had not yet released the new replacements into North America yet. But I was able to get one within 4 weeks straight from HongKong. It seems to be the ways things have developed for fast released new technology.

ed- its not rocket science to have parts available when releasing new products. if it isn't the U.S operation manager then its who ever decides on business plans/roll out is responsible for this. some distributors are looking bad because of it.

fdproductions

FD Productions
Ed, so I am a bit confused I have the all the .dat's in front of me are the most recent flights the higher numbered ones or is it reversed numbered? I just want to share the correct .dat from what I've seen its not easy to tell, also does the logger log everytime it gets power or everytime the aircraft takes off?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
A new log starts with each Power On so, unless you keep clearing the log, they multiply rapidly. Consequently, identifying individual flights is not really feasible - except the last one when it crashes.

fdproductions

FD Productions
you've got to be joking me, so the amount of .dat does not equal the amount of flights but actually how many times the aircraft has been turned on or off? Does this mean the second to last flight is the only one thats cached even though there are several others multiplied?? Why would they call it a flight data logger if you can't even identify single flight, have to power the device independently outside of the aircraft for the pc to recognize it anyways. i have gone through 76 flights of data, many not showing any M1-M8 output.

Tahoe Ed

Ed, so I am a bit confused I have the all the .dat's in front of me are the most recent flights the higher numbered ones or is it reversed numbered? I just want to share the correct .dat from what I've seen its not easy to tell, also does the logger log everytime it gets power or everytime the aircraft takes off?

You can open the file in the iOSD Assistant then go to Data View. It then gives you the data logger as an accessible remote storage drive.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
you've got to be joking me, .....

Nope. It is a very rudimentary affair that requires endless patience precisely because there is no 'intelligent' logging of flights only and no way to identify them bar a relatively meaningless log number. One would have thought that with access to satellites it might also be able access the date and time and create a more useful log number.

Can't say I ever look at the OSD info mid-flight anyway. I'm too busy flying and framing. It does act as a useful CAN Bus hub though and give a main voltage reading before you take off, so it is not entirely pointless.:highly_amused:

-----------------------

Good answer Ed !! Try reading the post next time.

Hi Guys,

Got some info...

I just joined this discussion which seems to have slowed three weeks ago. I've just assembled my S1000 and was looking for set-up options.

@fdproductions...
I found an A2 bug in the previous Version 2.1 which matches your flight behaviour.
If using a three position switch and switch from Failsafe back to ATTI, the FC goes into GPS mode and not ATTI. It is shown this way on the iOSD too, however when you watch the iOS app it says it's back in ATTI.
If you switch from GPS mode to ATTI it does what it's supposed to do.
I believe you got lock out at some point because you entered failsafe (either manually via a switch, or from loss of signal). This would temporarily or permanently lock you out of any control input depending on how the FC gets to FS state.

Anyone on A2 V2.1 (I hadn't tried 2.2) can easily simulate this behaviour if they have their mode switch configured to GPS<ATTI>FailSafe

I posted a Youtube Video of this bug on March 21st 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJMsq5BPQvc

Let me know what you think...

hovering in gps mode, tried switching to atti, manual, then failsafe, no hard landings ever prior to this flight. I will say though the aircraft would have some glitchy tendencies i've never really experienced with other A2 rigs i've had, the flight mode would switch on its own and happen at the strangest times, i fly atti mode 85-90 perecent of the time and sometimes when the aircraft would come back from filming i'd notice my iosd say gps mode even though my futaba switch was at 2nd position which is atti (this is not an endpoint issue). also oddly enough, the aircraft would spaz out so to speak when switching from ATTI to GPS mode way more than any other multirotor i've flown its almost like a forced stop mid-air (i know they are designed to do this on gps lock but for some reason the s1000 almost overreacts to any slight movement prior to gps mode and while in transition from atti and then realizes its over corrected and moves back in the gps lock direction. when flying aircraft close its was quite a scary experience but not one worthy of grounding the aircraft. one time i did notice the iosd read an acclerating forward flight for no apparent reason while the aircraft was on the ground, should this happen to any of you don't fly until DJI has inspected your equipment. simply restarting the aircraft is not the solution or waiting for another lcoation or day when you don't see this and have more satellites.

Tahoe Ed

I would try v2.2. There was a minor tweak 10 days ago. I have gotten reports that the GPS hold is enhanced and there are no loss of control issues.

R1031

I really like the S1000, I was thinking maybe using a NAZA FC but now I'm thinking A2 or WK-M, my largest MR is a 550 and a QAV500.

I started with the NAZA then moved up to the WooKong M then finally the A2 now for my Cinestar 8..... Each is a significant step up in terms of additional features and flexibility etc.
When attempting to justify the extra cost of the A2, take in to account that the s.bus receiver is already part of the deal, i.e., built in to the FC and it frees up additional channels for other functions..... possibly even remote LED light control etc.
And for lifting an expensive camera, why settle for a hobby level FC when the commercial versions seem to promise better control and reliability.

chuck spoto

I just received a new S1000 plus built and test flown so they say. I have hovered this thing 3 times and dont like it. It got hyper in yaw and spun in yaw back and forth a couple of times. Also, it tipped on landing causing a loss of 4 blades. I starting reading all of the post and my head starting spinning... in yaw!
Does anyone know the drop dead procedure for loading firmware and proper safe firmware for the standard A2?
I have an Inspire as well and that machine is rock solid.

rcflyerheli

The latest software version for your computer is v1.8. If you have it installed on your computer, the remove the props off your 1000, plug it into the computer via the USB cable, then power it up. Insure that it connects to the software and go to the info page and check that it is displaying your correct serial number.

To upgrade the firmware, go to the tools page and click on each individual component. There you can do the firmware updates. When I built my S1000/A2 last year, I did the updates individually, but there is an option to do them all.

I found flying mine, that it is similar to any tall legged unit, you have to be careful on takeoff and landing. On takeoff, it seems intuitive to slowly advance the power, but I have had units tip over because one motor comes up a little stronger than another until you get the stick past the midpoint. So I kinda pop my birds off the ground.

On landing, these units cannot have much ground speed at all, or that will cause an inertia related tip. No particular techniques here, you just have to get it as still as you can with respect to the ground.

The A2s that I have flown have not demonstrated any unusual flight characteristics using stock, default gains. Compass calibration is an important step in the setup, so make sure that you do it correctly. I remove all metal items from my person and make sure I am far away from anything but the transmitter when I calibrate my units.

Hope this helps.