DJI OSD? - Cart Before the Horse

RotorTalk

No Longer Active
My Octo pre-flight checklist is exhaustive, but still there are things that my moderately comprehensive setup cannot tell me:
  • ESC temp
  • ESC PWM in
  • Attitude
  • Vibration
  • Rotor RPM
  • Power Loom status
Maybe DJI's planned OSD will address one or two of these, but I can't help thinking that if the frames we build, the Autopilots we equip them with and the payloads we then entrust to them really are for professional risk-free aerial photography then we are kidding ourselves... why?

Because we don't (and neither do our flight controllers) fully know the status of all onboard systems.

Until we do we're flying blind and so are our Wookong-Ms etc.

Flew a new craft 8 times recently, then went out again and it was bucking all over the sky - I'd changed nothing. In an ideal world I'd log in to my DJI log and diagnostics data and find out what it was.

OSD will be nice but how about data logs, diagnostics (If I know how I controlled it but it behaved like this then I can infer what might be wrong). How about a proper monitored power supply?

I could go on. Before the bells and whistles there has to be a solid foundation based on data. That's partly why Droidworx went off and hid in the lab - they've had to go rethink it all - end to end.

Wake up DJI - we are all out there potentially collecting data for you to use to improve and evolve your products, come get it from us!!!!!

ChrisViperM

I am absoltely with you....today there should not be any technical excuse for the lack of flight data recording, and to make it readable via a log file. If something goes wrong, it goes wrong for a reason, and it is technically possible to monitor the vital functions of a Flight Control, regardless who the Manufacturer is. One of the few things I found so far is this, altough it' more tailored for RC airplanes and Singlerotor Helis: http://www.rc-log.co.uk/flight-data-recorder.html

Chris

araines2750

Hexa Crazy
This is the same information the is shown on DJI groundstation.
I do not always fly via my DJI Groundstation, so this information is not available to me when flying via traditional TX.
I do not yet fly FPV, but intend on using my 900hz. link and groundstation for this application.
Just a FYI.

kloner

Aerial DP
there was a guy in here from poland that had a working osd gathering data from the dji data stream no too long ago. there is also ruling from dji that has a very extensive osd. there are several aftermarket ones available, but nothing that links directly with dji product, at least not yet. the one at that link looks interesting.... does it sound aftermarket or form dji themsleves? I got 3 rigs i need osd for but am waiting till i see what dji does here this winter. utilizing the dji gps is huge for an fpv guy, otehrwise were running two gps and they like to fight each other, loose signal, create interferrence

the simple way to get data of everything but vibration in the ops list above you can used EzOSD, Eagle Tree OSD pro, Remzibi, theres alot of em
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_21

ET looks like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sCXksa6bp4
you can add pretty much anything you want, 3 temps, 2 voltages, view the servo deflections pwm levels and it all runs ppm to watch those, speed, distance, altitude can add a barometer, whats in teh video above makes altitude very accurate compared to gps...... the ez one is rough, not super customizeable, gotta hack it to change anything. I want the dji one to try..... now

Zen Mitt

Has anyone found any other information on the wookong OSD yet, I have done all the sites I can find, and the two main dealers in the UK have got the same basic information right now.... quadcopters up a few comments and over at build your own drone (http://www.buildyourowndrone.co.uk/DJI-Innovations-OSD-On-Screen-Display-p/dji-osd.htm) there is not a great deal more I can find? Thinking it would be nice to have this OSD as I have some Fat Shark gear laid about doing nothing right now!

Tahoe Ed

Some of the dealers have received test models. They are going to be the ones that can supply that info right now. I think that they just got them so it may take a day or two for them to get the product into the air.