DJI On Screen Display (IOSD) with 2 AV-in,releasing soon.

Attachments

• osd.jpg
    osd.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 314
  • spec.jpg
    spec.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 343
Last edited by a moderator:

plingboot

nice, but do have a few observations…

can the osd be usd as a hub as i have no spare bus connections when using the 2.4 data link?

for use as an fpv osd it would help to have 'distance from home' and 'direction/pointer to home' info.

would also be nice to have a receiver (ezuhf for example) rssi input so that could be displayed too.

i assume this will work with third party VTx's

ChrisViperM

Could you explain where the benefits of using DJI OSD compared to Eagle Tree, ezOSD or similar proofen, customizable products already on the market are ?

PS: If you announce a product, please don't write "...release soon..." In todays economy it should be possible to show a new product and tell a launche date. If you can't, customers will buy something else.

Chris

plingboot

I think the USP for the DJI unit is system integration.

If you use (for example and because i happen to do so) EzOSD, then you're adding an extra set of components into the mix, doubling up on current and gps sensors while missing out on autopilot specific information.

Simply adding the DJI unit to the mix is probably more straightforward and less cluttered.

The DJI unit looks very neat and if they can address the points i made above (more FPV specific information) then i'd consider adding them to my wkm builds.

If however, it's a closed system requiring DJI specific VTx or any other closed system issues, then i'd be less inclined to pony up for one.

Would also be important for DJI to supply dealers with plenty of the various connector pigtails as spares too.

In my experience with EzOSD, i've spent lots of time crimping up my own leads - longer ones for wings, shorter ones for small MR builds, which is possible with off the shelf molex connectors, but the ones used in the DJI unit look to be less DIY friendly.

'distance from home' and 'direction/pointer to home' info---We have it in OSD.

Thank you for all your suggestions, we will consider it.

kloner

Aerial DP
it's a shame too cause sydney used to do such a good job at answering everybody...... this is like walking through china looking for a carne asada burrito.....

DaveM

View attachment 6565

Well it looks like it can be used as a Can-Bus hub, it has 3 ports.

I have just had a read of the manual, and distance from home and direction to home is all there,
no RSSI though.

Manual should be attached, I think :)

Dave

Attachments

• osd.jpg
    osd.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 295
  • osd-user-manual-v1.0-en-2012.09.19.pdf
    310 KB · Views: 301

kloner

Aerial DP
note to dji, if you do make one of these compatible for naza for us fpv guys, no rssi no sale....... that's more important than anything else they got on there... it's just a 0-5v input that is measured in percentage after a calibration of radio on, radio off..... it tells us how much our "radio signal strength indicator" ie, got controll or not and by how much

Right now i have three nazas that are running on bare osd's, shows volts, mah and rssi. it's all an fpv'r in a multirotor needs, just nice to have the extras offered here, especialy the FC's state as in sats acquired, mode, etc.

that connector looks like the old school tamiya power plugs from back in the day, that is a mess.

all that green road looking stuff seems overboard

the osd i saw from the guy in poland that cracked your code had a way better layout for fpv,,,,,,, might look into it

plingboot

When you think about it an OSD is really only needed for FPV flight, so the info should be fpv specific.

If you're doing LOS aerial photography/filming, you'll probably use the data link - which has all the info you need, on the laptop screen, for that kind of flying.

If i ever use the goggles when taking photos i only ever do so to have a quick glance to frame a shot, not look at flight data.

Having looked at the manual, the majority of info is available on the OSD - which is good, but to be honest (picky) i prefer a rotating arrow graphic pointing to home rather than a designator which appears over home on the horizon, as you yaw around. For me that only works if the designator actually shows your exact ground location too - like a fighter jet HUD's 'painted' target designators.

As kloner says RSSI is a definite for fpv and since UHF receivers have this output, it seems daft not to have an input for it - seems a like there's some disconnection between how people are using the autopilots and how the manufacturer perceives (rather than asks) what people want.

Tahoe Ed

View attachment 6568View attachment 6569View attachment 6570View attachment 6571View attachment 6572View attachment 6573

Mine just arrived and after a quick set up I hooked up my video goggles for a quick test. I got the OSD display but no video from my Nex5N. I checked all the connections and after several frustrating hours discovered the connector from the Z15 to the iOSD had the leads reversed. The ground was where the video was supposed to be and visa versa. After I corrected that everything was fine.

The set up was quite simple. If you are using a Z15 there is a plug that goes from the Z15 video out to a six pin port on the iOSD. If not, the iOSD just connects to the can bus. The iOSD is switchable between two video sources, V1 & V2. To do this you will need a free 3-position switch. Mine came with the necessary leads to be able to construct a custom cable do this which is a nice feature. If you are using the DJI Video Down Link there is an 8 pin lead that connects to the vTx, if not they supply a connector that will allow you to make your own connection to your vTx. Another nice feature is that if you are using the 2.4gHz Data Link you get 3 can bus connectors on the iOSD. I have the 900mHz which has 2 but the 2.4gHz only has one. Now those users will be able to connect everything.

If you have seen the screen shots of the iOSD or the Ruling the unit that I received was just like them. There is plenty of information displayed. Artificial horizon, height, distance from home, number of satellites, voltage, voltage warning level, video channel, video input, orientation from home point, velocity in m/sec, pitch attitude and roll attitude in degrees, control mode and failsafe mode. The graphics are pretty simple right now but the iOSD has a mini usb port for future updates.

A few notes about the vTx/vRx combo. It is a 5.8gHz 500mw unit with a cooling fan. You change the channels on the vTx using a three position switch on your RC Tx, the same one that you use to change the video source. The vRx has a button to access the 8 channels. I do not have a 14ch RC Tx only a 9ch, so I ended up using 2 R921's and 2 JR9503's, one for RC control and one for Gimbal control. I am using a total of 16 channels to control all of the functions of the WKM and the Z15 with iOSD. The new 18 ch Dx is starting to look pretty good if you want to attempt a single operator version. I would not attempt it for anything other than the simplest of jobs.

The vTx/vRx frequencies are compatible with Foxtech but not Immersion/FatShark. I think this is unfortunate and I would like to see them offer both versions. I have a diversity ground station that now needs another vRx. Mine came with the optional antennas. These are very cool units with the CP antennas enclosed in a plastic housing. They should be very durable. They look very similar to these: http://hobbywireless.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=821. If you decide to get the Video Down Link, I would recommend getting the optional antennas or an equivalent antenna. I have switched all my FPV multi's to CP antennas and I am very happy with the result.

Since I am still using my temporary battery mount, Ace Hardware yardstick and 1/4" plpe clamps, I decided to keep it simple and made two more, one to mount the GMU and the other for the iOSD. Yes it is ghetto but it works and the pine in the yardstick is lighter than CF. I will probably do something different in the future, but it works for now. I have attached some pictures of my set up for reference.

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG_0686.jpg
    IMG_0686.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 297

kloner

Aerial DP
why they use that channel switching thing? been around this a little while and have enver changed the channel on the ground..,,

that antenna is gonna get them in the same trouble immersion is in with ibcrazy, it's pateneted

i thought the same as you pling, but if is the case, there aint many guys using wk for fpv....

Tahoe Ed

I am not a big fan of the RC based channel switching as well. I think that it is going to cause people alot of issues since you are using the same switch to change video channels. It is easy to change channels when you did not mean to do so. You should be able to lock the channel.