DJI Inspire 1, What's the Verdict?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Narrowing the field of view is cropping the already small GoPro sensor so you will get more noise in the resulting file (and fisheye, but less noticeable), but it does seem the encoding bitrate is not affected.

that's odd then, isn't it? they're using less area of the sensor to reduce the field of view while using the same bitrate but with that more generous bitrate/pixel they're not improving the quality of the image at all?

so the ability to shoot in ProTune with the GoPro favors the image quality of the GoPro since everything else is about equal?

econfly

that's odd then, isn't it? they're using less area of the sensor to reduce the field of view while using the same bitrate but with that more generous bitrate/pixel they're not improving the quality of the image at all?

so the ability to shoot in ProTune with the GoPro favors the image quality of the GoPro since everything else is about equal?

I get it now. Yes, the quality of, say, narrow view is better than if you were to shoot wide and crop. My response earlier was that narrow or medium view are worse than wide if you compare quality per pixel. All I was saying was that using less of the sensor is producing a lower quality result. But, if you know you want to use that crop then it's absolutely better to shoot, e.g., narrow than to shoot wide and crop later.

ProTune does give an edge to the GoPro. You can shoot in log format on the Inspire but the sharpening is still there and that makes some editing more difficult.

Quinton

It stopped raining for a while this afternoon so decided to go out in the back garden and test the new iPad Air as I had always been using an iphone and to run the batteries down a bit.
Normally my inspire was solid as a rock in GPS hover, but today it started to drift in the wind like it was in Atti mode quite a lot.
I never experienced this when using the iphone, and when I brought it back inside I noticed that the antennas were almost touching the back of the iPad air with its larger size.
Will have to do more testing, but it was quite strange to see this after many flights without seeing any problems at all.

On a side note iI have been reading users posts regarding taking multiple exposure and HDR shots, I take it this is an Android only thing?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Got my Inspire late Monday. Maidened 3 flights yesterday, getting to know it in light winds & cold weather. On many levels, it's amazing so far. Lots of features and functions that are well worth having IMO. Insulated my battery compartment with dense foam and didn't see any crazy battery behavior or failure, but also came down at 35% while breaking the batteries in.

Have more testing to do, but so far, I'm underwhelmed with the video quality. Read in another forum where one user said his video looks good in warmer weather but gets worse as the weather gets colder. I didn't/don't expect it to match my good cameras, but did think it would get close to the GoPro. Cleaned the lens & ND filter today and will try some different settings.

Only surprise so far is there is no audio recording through the DJI camera. I hadn't read that. Never assume or ......

One thing on my list I haven't figured out is when in the DJI ap on my Android device, in map mode they default to zoomed all the way out so I see N. America and a few other continents. I have to do a fair amount of finger pointing / spreading fingers on the screen to get zoomed in. Anyone know how to get it zoomed it at the get go?

We have some low wind days coming up and temps in the 20's so hopefully will get some more flight time in.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Flight 4 ok. Flight 5 ok, except forgot to stop recording before turning off Inspire battery. 5 hrs later (3 DJI support calls over 5 hours), camera won't format card, record or take photo's even though it sees a newly formatted fat32 card (tried 3 different Micro Sd's). Some settings are available but won't change, some aren't available. Very strange. Tried 2 tablets, loaded unloaded app, etc etc.... What a pain.

Bought it for up coming trip and now not sure if it's going to happen.

econfly

I had a card that wouldn't format/work and I got it working by formatting the card on my Mac (exfat format).

jfro

Aerial Fun
USPS failed so didn't get the replacement camera delivered today.

DJI put out a firmware update this AM. So, I thought I'd give it a try. Turns out that wasn't too smart....
Inspire update appears to not have worked.
Radio update failed and now may be bricked.
Might be my first fail after 6 successful MR custom / DIY builds.
Glad it's not my first or only experience.

jfro

Aerial Fun
To late for me. I'm bricked. Camera malfunction now this. Not a good first 3 days.
Probably time to return it. One last attempt to revert to old firmware, but it's not on DJI Inspire's Download page anymore.
Anyone have copy of the 1.2.0.16 firmware?

Quinton

To late for me. I'm bricked. Camera malfunction now this. Not a good first 3 days.
Probably time to return it. One last attempt to revert to old firmware, but it's not on DJI Inspire's Download page anymore.
Anyone have copy of the 1.2.0.16 firmware?
How could you get it to update if your camera was not working correctly?
The only reason why you are bricked is probably because you managed to update your transmitter but not your inspire, and as they are on different firmware then they will not communicate together...no?

My update actually went fine in the end, and I have features working that I never had before, even my HDMI output is showing correct information.
Just 1 thing that I wish they would do and that is to be able to also reset tilt with the C1 button, as I would like to know when I am completely horizontal with the camera.
Im sure your a bit p*ssed @Tahoe Ed not even being aware of the update, the joys of communication unity in large foreign companies.

Tahoe Ed

The good news was that I was in LA when this came out. I was able to grab a returned Inspire and do the upgrade according to the instructions contained in the Zip file. There were no issues for either the Inspire or the Tx. I will state that I formatted both cards and did a clean install of the bin file. I used to Tx's to test the different ways to link the Tx to the Inspire. The easiest is with the App and then push the kind button on the Inspire. The other way is available when you don't have a device. You press and hold the C1/C2 and Record buttons, then press down on the Right Knob. That triggers the bind function in the Tx and you can press the bind button on the Inspire. I flew two flights, one with iOS and one with Android. No issues noted with either.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Quinton, that is my only hope that when I get the new camera, the Inspire will update and I will be able to bind the Radio. Sounds Like Tahoe Ed was able to do this with a returned unit. At least there's hope.

My frustration is that this was bought for a trip I'm taking in 10 days. It was a last minute decision as I chose convenience over filming quality. I have a 22 hour plane ride coming up and I wanted a bunch of flights to get comfortable and be able to trust a new MR, ie the Inspire. If not, I need(ed) to build a smaller gimbal for a BMPC for my larger quad, which I haven't done. Just running out of time.

Matters are being made worse by our USPS service. Orig shipment was 2-3 day, but ended up 6 days for the Inspire The replacement camera over night due yesterday, is still unaccounted for on the tracking. I have never had problems with USPS, so to have back to back missed shipments adds to the my mess.

Ed, when you press the bind button on the Inspire, do you hold it in till you get a tone signal or is it instantaneous?

Keeping fingers crossed.

skypyro

Love my inspire, latest update was odd but has at least worked. Looking forward to recieving my TB48's when they eventually arrive due to the heavier weight and problems with certain carriers.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Camera replacement is in and updated as per the Success line in the text file. After 3 hours of fiddling around, I've put it aside, I cannot get the radio to bind and connect to the Inspire. It's pretty much a constant red led and once in a while it might throw out some beeps indicating error. Can't change any setting in app to make it master, give it name. Tried the app connection and ed's hardware only to no avail.

Just hit 20 F here, so charging up 32000mah of 6s batteries and going to fly my x8 and do some gimbal tuning. Wasted enough time.

As a famous fighter said years ago NO MAS

Bluerex

View attachment 23575
Well, I managed to join the bricked remote club too. At least I had two remotes and the other update went fine. Also the Inspire update was sort of smooth - I know know to boot the Inspire WITHOUT the app running and leave it alone while it buzzes and updates. I read about this technique only after freaking out that the remote status bar was not moving and the app/remote lost contact with the craft during the update. The re-link (bind) command was a little hard to find in the app, but once located they linked as soon as I pressed the hidden button on the aircraft.

Now the positive:
DJI tech support was great! The guy/gal on the 24hr chat line went through a bunch of tests, sent me a new .BIN file to try and finally had to admit defeat. My details were logged and passed on to the support department.
Next was the head office tech (Hi Sally) via e-mail. Sally ran me through another series of tests before deciding that the remote will need to be returned. I asked about a replacement unit and and she said that they would send one - can't complain about that!!

Sure it would have been better if the process had NOT resulted in a bricked remote, but these things happen.

C

Attachments

• remote.jpg
    remote.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 419