DJI Inspire 1, What's the Verdict?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have a new Note 4 phone. It's pretty good size. Ya think that would work in a pinch.

Quinton

@Quinton,
There is something wrong with your battery, you will have to contact your dealer/support. Really sorry to read that.

And yes what I use is a power supply where you can adjust the voltage and limit the current. If you recharge with the charger it comes with it is about 75min, with "other" methods you can reach 45min, just the question if this 30min are worth the hassle.
best regards
Ferdinand

Thanks for that, got this from DJI this morning after they seen the video..

Sm.D (DJI)

Feb 5, 13:16

Hi Quinton,

We would like to replace the battery for you. Our colleague will contact you and your dealer soon.

Thank you.

DJI Tech support

Just makes you wonder how much electronics are actually in these things, and how long they would last.
DJI are in a PERFECT position, the more Inspires they sell, the more they will make in batteries, extra controllers etc...very smart.
Luckily I made a purchase of another battery yesterday from another dealer, so hopefully that should be here today/tomorrow, I just hope it is the battery and nothing else.

Quinton

New battery arrived today, plugged in, charged up and yeah its working.
Step 2 tring to get an android device that will connect to it.
I first tried a Nexus 7 that I had lying around, DJIPilot installed fine, but wont conect, then I stole (borrowed) my sons Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 and it is the same, app installed fine, but it wont connect.

Finally got the Inspire activated by updating my iphone 5c and installing the Apple version thats floating about, at least everything seems to be working now, except wont really be able to monitor flight through iphone as too choppy, hooked a ninja 2 into the HDMI link in the controller and its almost real time monitoring, although when I do that I then get no signal on the iphone.

OK I can activate duo monitoring and now get it on both although no flight data reaching hdmi monitor..roll on tomorrow :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Best buy has a 2 day sale (think it ends today) on the iPad min2 for 249... Might be worth looking at if you like Apple stuff.

Quinton

@Quinton,
You have to activate USB-debugging on the Andriods. Also you can enable/disable OSD on the HDMI-out

best regards
Ferdinand
I did that in all of them.
I know you have to goto settings and hit the version number 7 times to unlock developer options and unlock usb debugging, but on all 3 machines I got disconnected at the top..thats why I was worried about going out and purchasing a new Android device.
The second I plugged it into the iphone it said "no signal" instead of disconected, but then I am a bit worried regarding IOS support, as it isn't there yet.
The iPad 2 mini does seem like a really good option, but what I have learned today it seems like an Android tablet with a Tegra processor is required, and the best one out there seems to be the Nvidea Shield.
I am looking forward to seeing DJI keep up to date with all the different Android O/S they may have opened up a can of worms..you "should not" require a tablet to even activate your machine so it can fly.

FerdinandK

At my tab this is just a setting ...

You have to connect the tab (with the wire) after starting the RC-TX, otherwise it won´t connect.

The IOS support is as it is, but it is not official so far, but there are updates (inofficial ones).

I don´t think you need a tab at all, but I have not tried so far.

best regards
Ferdinand

Quinton

At my tab this is just a setting ...

You have to connect the tab (with the wire) after starting the RC-TX, otherwise it won´t connect.

The IOS support is as it is, but it is not official so far, but there are updates (inofficial ones).

I don´t think you need a tab at all, but I have not tried so far.

best regards
Ferdinand
You need a tablet to activate the Inspire, otherwise you can't even get a motor start...after its been activated you prob don't need one (at least I hope so)
The HDMI output seems to be 720p 60Hz
May I ask what Android tablet you are using?

FerdinandK

I am using a Gigaset QV1030, but it is too big to fit, which I solved by modifying the tab-holder.
20150119_000934.jpg

best regards
Ferdinand

dazzab

I saw an Inspire in the flesh for the first time last night. It was very impressive. Flew perfectly during both aggressive and slow flying. Ground station software on the iPad was just awesome with real time high def display. Looks to be very well engineered and built. Really just an amazing bit of gear. Camera seemed quite impressive but I still have my doubts that a sensor that small can deliver the quality I like. I bet they will come up with a coax version that carries a bigger camera at some point in time. But I'll never have one. It's certainly a pro level product but I still prefer to support other vendors.

Quinton

Had my first test flight this morning, I have never felt so confident with a multirotor, it just sat there in GPS and did not move an inch.
I seen @FerdinandK do a timelapse with his, and I am going to try the same as it IS that good.
I know the sensor n all isnt great with its 5.3x crop or whatever it is, but the important thing is that this will certainly help me improve on flying skills as I can just take it wherever I want and fly it.
So first thoughts are this thing is like having a tripod in the air and I need lots more batteries, as Im going to enjoy flying this thing as much as I can.
Hopefully DJI will be working on a few different camera setups for this thing.

Quinton

Went out for a fly a while ago and it says update is released and it would not go away unless I updated.
Came home and went to update and it would not let me as I was using an iPhone 5C which says not compatible :(
Looks like I am going to have to borrow my wifes iphone 5S from now on to go flying!

Also noticed today that sometimes if I am quite close to the home point the Inspire will just land instead of coming back to its home point, anyone else noticed that?

FerdinandK

This is described in the release notes of the last FW update. If you are within 20m of the RTH-destination, it will just land and not do RTH

best regards
Ferdinand

Quinton

Just a couple of things I found this afternoon, I changed the C2 button to control yaw and tilt, and noticed that when the camera is pointed forward its not actually possible to do a full 360 degrees, the only way you can do it is to turn it the opposite direction, then complete a 360, just thought it would have been normal to do a 360 from a forward start.
Also when using an HDMI monitor I noticed that the battery details are all over the place and dont relate to the actual battery settings on the IOS screen.

Enable hardware decode..any ideas what thats about?

Quinton

Been having a good 4 flights per day all this week, and its looking really good still.
One thing I will say though, the "smart" battery may not be so smart, and will bite a few people in the behind at some stage.

Was flying in high winds today and it was handling really well, then I got my first low battery warning (I have it at 26%) o started to bring it back in, then all of a sudden it started into 2nd level warning and screen showed just 6% immediately, so in a matter of seconds it fell 20% .
The 6% did show it being at 21.5V so maybe it would be possible to set battery warnings at voltage instead of mAh used.

Normally when I am flying other machines I concentrate most on the voltage, with the inspire it is a bit of an after thought and you only look momentarily at battery % which is not so good I think.

When my batteries are fully charged it shows on the app 4244 mAh and 25.9V (from a 4500 mAh battery)
Just wondering how accurately this can be accounted for, as we have to trust what the app says, just wondering if there is no way to calibrate that.

Also went out for my 5th flight half an hour ago and forgot my phone :( but Inspire will still fly np without the link up.
Am I the only one still getting incorrect feedback through HDMI monitors, the battery % goes right up to 2-300% for me.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Has anyone investigated whether or not standard LiPo's can be made to work with the Inspire 1 ?

That would be a nice bonus for owners. :)

econfly

I'm sure it's possible, but it wouldn't be easy.

The Inspire uses a "smart" battery with its own internal hardware for monitoring charge, balancing, and even automatically discharging to storage level in a set number of days if unused. Much of the software is relying on that hardware. There are a couple of signaling pins that connect along with +/- when the battery is plugged into the Inspire. I'm guessing these pins are a serial bus of some sort (DJI likes CAN bus -- maybe that's what it is). I could probe these pins and attempt a decode, but even with that info the next question is how to implement the functionality in another LiPo. Maybe the Inspire will work without it, but given the level of integration that DJI has here I doubt it.

Then you have the physical issue of fitting another battery to the Inspire. That's a general Inspire issue by the way -- it would be a challenge to attach anything to it. Not a huge deal, but more work.

DJI is certainly charging a premium for their batteries ($169 for 4500 mAh 6s), but in the grand scheme of things it's not a miserably high markup considering a typical owner will want just a few batteries (I have three at this point).

I am still liking the Inspire. It is like the flying equivalent of a pocket camera -- you take the photo with the camera you have. Just as I would love to be able to instantly access my Canon 1DX with a big heavy lens on it (as opposed to the RX100 in my pocket), I would like to have my big octo with a BMPCC or GH4 ready to go for aerials. That's not always easy. Just for example, I can throw a pelican case with the Inspire in it on the racks of my 4-wheeler and head out to remote areas on the farm -- through dust, mud, etc., -- for aerials with ease. Getting my big octo anywhere is not nearly as easy.

So, for me anyway, this Inspire is all about convenience. It packs easily, travels easily, has minimal prep involved pre-flight, and there is nothing about it I need to change to make it work the way I want. It's the best out-of-the-box experience I've ever had with a multirotor.

The downside is complete lock-in to DJI. If this thing breaks it's almost certainly going to DJI service for repair. I'm a fix-it-yourself guy and that's not really on the table with the Inspire. And, as I've mentioned before, the camera is just fine for the purpose, but no GH4 or BMPCC. For a lot of uses that's no big deal, but just a limitation to manage.

Tahoe Ed

@econfy that is $159 for the 4500mAh lipos and $199 for the 5700mAh lipos. That is not that much in my opinion after paying over $400 for lipos for my S900 that can only get close to the Inspire lipo performance. It is all relative.