DJI has released the new firmware v3.12 for Naza-M

TAPPEDOUT

Maybe against better judgement but tried 3.12 firmware on rev 1 NAZA yesterday after satisfied how it looked in the software.
The first few times I messed with software the NAZA would get kicked off the software and needed reboot to connect again.
The next day after power on of computer all seemed fine and did not get kicked off. The advance calibration worked as well. I do not use gimbal so know nothing about that.
I use immediate cut off and no voltage monitoring.

Keep fingers crossed and wait for next update!

Last edited by a moderator:

cpmboy

Same here......in my 1st try of the 3.12 upgrades, I can't arm the motors and the LED were blinking yellow (4x - system warming up) and it was like forever. Then I switch off everything, went to watch some chinese movies. Then, switch ON everything and do the adv IMU calib and walaaa! my f450 is on the air again. Just doing some low flight, FF, ascend/descend, basic stuff and all is fine at the moment. Haven't test the RTH/IOC yet, maybe this evening if I have some free time.

MikeyJ

Upgraded to v3.12. Can't seem to arm motors now. Tried the re-binding routine. Only gimbal control works. Blinking Red, Green, Yellow.

wkruger

Has anyone addressed or come up with a fix for the gimbal issue yet? I just upgraded to 3.12 last night and SO FAR this is the only issue I have noticed. I hesitated to install initially based on the $ involved if there is a glitch or bug, but the algorithm seems to be pretty solid (at least in my initial testing).

Carbon Core H650
Photoship One MKTR Pro
Avrotos
Plush 30A
2x Zippy 5000 mAh
12" APC
NAZA + GPS 3.12 firmware

CrashMaster

The DJI Firmware Update farce is causing a serious dilemma for me, which may result in driving me away from DJI completely.....

My 3.12 firmware experience of being an un-paid beta testing for DJI firmware.

As I have reported here there was a serious problem with firmware 3.10 relating to retaining calibration settings so reverted back to previous. When I tested 3.12 last week there was a gibal issue which resulted in no gimbal control at all so reverted back. I had some spare time yesterday so tried again - the gimbal issue has now gone but no new firmware number still 3.12.... really DJI at least have the courtesy to number your updates fully - V3.12.1 may be appropriate.

Anyway I had a play today and the update went without a glitch but had problems gaining a hover at 50% throttle so no attitude hold:

1. Vertical gain wase set at 135 with the previous working firmware but no hover at 50% throttle with 3.12.1 so I decided to be logical and varied the gain back.
2. 100% - no take off until 88% throttle.
2. 150% and hover achieved at 66% throttle
3. 160 hover at 57%
4. 165 hover at 52% getting there
5. 163 hover at 50% but some serious wobble then disaster.

The machine pitched hard left while at about 10 feet high straight into a very large and very solid farm machine used for rolling fields. This was about 80 feet from where it first pitched and right input didn't correct that movement...... No damage to the farmers machine but.... 5 trashed Graupners, which you can't buy now as they went into liquidation, and a motor with the missing circlip..... I only noticed this when changing the blades and the motor didn't feel right so check under the motor and found that the circlip was missing. Now my dilemma was it a missing O Ring or the gains, which caused the strange and dangerous action or did the impact cause the ring to pop off.
I have replaced the props with standard plastic DJI 1038 props and replaced the motor for a new one. Unfortunately, due to the fickle weather in the UK I will probably not get a chance to fly, or should I say Beta Test crash for DJI, again for a couple of days, according to the forecast of rain and winds here in the UK.

I am getting a little annoyed with DJI over this whole saga because those with problems get lambasted on some forums and told how to suck eggs by those who have no problems and no support or offerings from DJI are to be found anywhere.

I tried to phone them in China but got told to read the manual and e-mail my dealer for support. They appear to think that we are all just cash cows so my dilemma is multiplied now: should I just ditch all their stuff and go for another more capable system where there is support or stick with them and try and work out the problems.

The fact I have a very well behaved Phantom proves the hardware and software can work but the F550 is proving the breaker. I now no longer want to fly it because it is so dangerous and certainly not fit for AP work now.

CrashMaster

Oh just thought my setup may be useful if the wizards are looking:

Stock DJI F550 frame
Stock DJI 2212 920 kv Red Motors
Stock DJI 30A Opto ESCs
AeroXcraft F550 Landing Gear Here
AeroXcraft GoPro 2 axis Gimbal Here
2 x 3S 30c 3300mAh Lipos
Gopro Black
ImmersionRC EzOSD
ImmersionRC Current Sensor
Immersion RC 25ma 5.8gHz AV Down-link with clover leaf Antenna
Devo 12s TX 2.4Ghz
Devo 1002 RX 2.4Ghz
Devo Telemetry on-board module - Temp and voltage monitor
5v regulator for gimbal servos and RX

Ready to fly 2.502Kg

Note: before I am told again this is too heavy to fly this is all stock stuff built for the DJI f550 and with previous firmware flew for 10 to 12 minutes, dependent on lipos and wind, with no difficulties at all. Admittedly not a sports flying machine but it is an AP platform only.

swisser

Now my dilemma was it a missing O Ring or the gains, which caused the strange and dangerous action or did the impact cause the ring to pop off.

I can't tell you if the missing O ring caused the crash. What I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence is that that varying gains between 150 and 165 did not. As I mentioned on another thread recently, gains are not about an ability to fly or not, they're about fine tuning the flight characteristics. Somewhere I have video clips, both of the WKM controller and the Naza (at the time version 1), where both the basic and attitude gains were varied over a large range - and I mean the full extent of a remote change, from 60 to over 200 - and the craft full reasonably well (in a reasonable wind). Unless one was moving the sticks you couldn't even tell the gains were being changed until they reached over 200 and the craft did a rapid but still not flight-threatening oscillation. Far too much stock is placed in gains and they are almost entirely unrelated to basic, controllable flight.

Your F550 doesn't sound too heavy at all. I have an F450 that flies reasonably well at about 2.2Kg (albeit not stock DJI ESC/props/motors).

If you're convinced that the Naza firmware is the problem why not revert back to older Naza firmware which was stable, until such time as you feel the early adopters have tested out the new firmware to your satisfaction? That to me seems more sensible than giving up on the money you've invested so far.

Like your phantom, lots of other people aren't having any problems at all and you sound experienced enough to be well aware of the subtle interactions between the multitude of components. If you want to be scientific I think you need to double check absolute everything you can, fly again with the latest firmware in an as controlled as possible manner, then downgrade the firmware and without changing anything else whatsoever fly again on the same day in the same weather in the same controller manner. It's really frustrating when you read (not from you, but elsewhere) "I changed the firmware and it flew really badly, even the new props that I had just installed didn't seem to help" or "It crashed, so I put a new ESC on and changed the firmware and then it was fine which proves it was the firmware".

If you bought the entire platform (and I do mean entire) from one dealer who sold it as a ready to fly then I think you have good recourse to them to sort it out. Any other scenario and I think you're relying on their goodwill.

If you're ever in London and want a hand testing it out let me know.

b0nafide

I tried to phone them in China but got told to read the manual and e-mail my dealer for support. They appear to think that we are all just cash cows so my dilemma is multiplied now: should I just ditch all their stuff and go for another more capable system where there is support or stick with them and try and work out the problems.

What other more capable system do you speak of?

Ampere

Hello -
NAZA M with GPS (Red label)
Stock DJI F450 frame
Stock DJI 2212 920 kv Red Motors
Stock DJI 30A Opto ESCs
3S 20c 6400mAh Lipo
No other gizmos ...
I have been following the new firmware via this and other forums and wanted to give it a try. My 3.10 setup wasn't stable enough for me, so I spent the last few (windy) days getting the GPS right and was able to get it into the sky without any travel. This morning it was calm, I tested the system with my 8 inch DJI props and all was good.
I then did the update, loading the new assistant and then flashing the 3.12 FW. I rechecked all my settings, recalibrated the sticks and GPS and the 450 flew with no problems. I've cycled through both batteries, which gives me 20+ min of flight time, did lots of GPS hovers and worked over ATTI and don't see any problems. I will wait to get to the field to test the new failsafe settings, the switch driven F/S worked fine.
Stay Green,
John

CrashMaster

Swisser, thanks for the offer and support but as you will know the weather her in the UK for the next few days is against us and having a machine I am now very wary of means I will not be testing it until we have winds below 10 mph and no rain. At that rate it could be August before the next flight test...:dejection:

As for visiting London I may take you up on that one day but I worked there for over 30 years before retiring 5 years and so only visit very rarely, I prefer the peace and quiet of semi-rural Essex.

I have been thinking about the f550's crash again and am now not entirely convinced it was the firmware, although this firmware is supposed to have added support for motor redundancy for rotor loss on Hex and Octi and it would be convenient to blame the firmware: The wandering off began after quite a violent wobble as if I struck a tuft of grass on takeoff but was 10 feet off the ground, then continued with a slow pirouette by about 45 degrees in yaw and then a 20-30 degree tilt in pitch towards the field rollers. The violent wobble could have been caused by the armature moving in the motor seat? This could then have caused the motor to delivering less power or reduced rotor head speed. If the armature shifted in it's seat due to no circlip when load was applied may have given this reaction in flight. A motor can often run without the circlup but if it shifts in the seat disaster can strike because the winding moves out of the motor casing by a fraction so reducing efficiency. The bearings all appear to be good with no roughness so I assume a new circlip may render this motor usable again - after testing.

That said I will try again when the weather is not against me and report back.

Did you know we are only 7 days for June and nearly into the official British Summer here in the UK - Temperature 10c wind 15mph and freezing cold rain. I think a move to California may be needed.