DJI Failsafes and JR nine channel receivers

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Just did a little research to figure out why I couldn't get the failsafe switch positions to bind to a JR 921 receiver.

Here's the trick!

WIth JR nine channel receivers there is a peculiar step in the binding process to make the switch positions work when the signal is lost

With the TX off, plug in the bind plug and set your switches to the positions that will force the DJI system into failsafe mode.

Power up the receiver and verify the receiver/satellite lights are blinking.

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE, REMOVE THE BIND PLUG AND VERIFY THE LIGHTS ARE ALL STILL BLINKING.

Hold the bind button on the transmitter and turn it on.

When the lights all illuminate solid, unplug the flight battery and turn off the transmitter.

Go to DJI's Assistant software and verify the bind was successful and that the system will go to failsafe when the transmitter is turned off.

So, the trick is to remove the bind plug before using the transmitter to actually bind to the receiver!!!

Hope that helps.
Bart

02deuce

Time Warped
You forgot one very important step.

1. TX Throttle has to be above 10% (or it will drop like a rock)

Three most common steps forgotten in this fail safe bind are:

a. not having the radio TX in fails safe mode when performing the fail safe bind.
b. not having the throttle above 10%
c. not pulling the binding plug out of the RX before binding to the radio TX.

Also when ever a future full bind is performed it erases the fail safe bind and the fail safe bind must be re-programmed again.

Bartman

ahhhhh, so you're saying there's the bind step for Tx to Rx and another bind process for the failsafe feature where switch positions are recorded and used in the event that radio control is lost.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Jesus Bart, this is the 2nd time I have told you something and you have posted asking how to do it. I'll just keep my mouth shut from now on.

02deuce

Time Warped
ahhhhh, so you're saying there's the bind step for Tx to Rx and another bind process for the failsafe feature where switch positions are recorded and used in the event that radio control is lost.
Yep, it a two bind process. First is the TX to RX (initial bind) then your Fail Safe bind.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Bart, I'm not being cute, I explained to you when you got the Naza, to not only set up failsafe in the naza but to setup the JR's fail safe such that it will activate the naza's failsafe. Dont remember that at all? I feel like I am taking crazy pills.

Bartman

i must have missed that. i thought you were trying to explain about configuring the NAZA failsafe feature AND the radio loss failsafe. don't recall anything about bind plugs.

see? cute.

w4arf

Hello,

I had tried your method with my older 9303 and 921 and did not have any luck. The Naza would go into failsafe with the TX switch but not when power was removed.

I came across this You-tube video by Tesfly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxX7ofavCME&feature=plcp

With his newer 9503 he used the exact procedure you outlined with one addition. He turned failsafe on with the switch programmed on his transmitter and then held the bind button, turned TX on and let the 921 receiver bind with the sw in failsafe position.

After I did this my 921 would go into failsafe with the switch or turning TX off.

I don't understand why some radios are different but this might help some one that is frustrated like I was.

Good flying

Steve Haynes

Eggbeater

To all,

That Youtube link was the one I followed and has worked flawlessly ever since. I saved the link for future use. I use his same switch settings too so that i can go into failsafe (RTH) in all modes as well as radio off. That guy (TESTFLY) also helped me understand the setups and uses of the IOC's and how to program them using the JR9503/R921. He repeats himself but you come away with a clear understanding.

As a side note, one of the weird parts (at least to me) of using a JR9503 (and most radios) is setting up the switches. Too complicated and restrictive. In contrast, I used one of the JETI DC-16 radios for about a month and have the DS-16 on order. Without a doubt, the whole approach to physical switch positions, programming, and labeling switches can be anything you want and very easy to assign. The hardest part of using the radio is getting used to how easy it is and how many options you have. I have no affliation with the company.

Tahoe Ed

When doing a Preset Failsafe on any of the JR/Spektrum receivers that support preset, the procedure is the same. Set up your Tx first. Adjust the end points so the throttle is above 10% you can do this while connected to Assistant. I then move the switch that I have a mix set up on to failsafe. Then turn the Tx off, power the Rx with the bind plug in. Once the led flashes, remove the bind plug. The led should still flash. At that point turn the Tx on with the bind switch pushed. The led should go solid. Unplug the Rx. Rest the Tx throttle end points to -100 100 and the Failsafe switch to off. Now repower the Tx and then the MultiRotor. Connect to Assistant and confirm that when you turn off the Tx the throttle goes above 10% and the mode slider moves to failsafe. If confirmed, you are done. Just to be sure, I check in all modes.

Stet Hindes

There are two modes of JR bind. The traditional bind which holds all channels where they were at the point of loss of signal, but throttle cut. This you do by pulling the plug when you are done binding the tx to the rx. Our type is to have all channels go to a predetermined position, that is done by pulling the bind plug before the tx is bound to the rx. In our case, have all channels set to where you want them, namely throttle above 10% and the flight mode channel endpoint adjusted so that the flight mode switch lands in one of the two failsafe regions.