DGI 450 build What soldering iron

Faffer

Ok
So I am looking into what soldering iron would be best to use

I have a gas powered one but I am sure I'd be better getting a 240v one
For the build

Having the right tools makes a job so much better so

What one or what watt version should I be looking for ?

Links if you have any

Cheers

Richard

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
hi Richard

the one you looking at should do just fine most people like 40w pluss so that should do the job and be good for future projects

anything under 40w can struggle abit on the battery leads and large conections etc lower watts normaly for fine stuff

if your new to soldering look at some of the other threads or a few youtube videos its not that hard just takes a little practice to get nice clean joints etc

keith

Faffer

Would be nice but I am in the UK so no good but thanks for the link I will keep looking but now I know that I need 50W +

Bearing in mind I'm not a great solderer, I was trying to solder a Voltair Distro board with 12AWG this week with 60w 450 degree Solder station from maplin and it just seemed to not be hot enough i tin some thing and then find it really hard to Re melt the ends together. Is this me being bad or iron not hot enough?

kloner

Aerial DP
mines the weller WESD51,,, same thing i linked at the begining but digital. unreal little machine. It doesn't need new tips,,,,, mines built 5-6 craft in the last 3 months and it's on alot. tips like new. even using flux from time to time. That stuff eats up chineese soldering iron tips,,,, like making video antennas and that

mines the weller WESD51,,, same thing i linked at the begining but digital. unreal little machine. It doesn't need new tips,,,,, mines built 5-6 craft in the last 3 months and it's on alot. tips like new. even using flux from time to time. That stuff eats up chineese soldering iron tips,,,, like making video antennas and that

Think i'll buy one of those bad boys

WillM

I've owned a few different irons. This one is fantastic: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10553

Better price here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU

There is also available overseas in a 220v version.

If this is your first iron, then a cheap 40-50w version will get you by, but understand that if you stick with this or other hobbies that require small and bigger soldering jobs, you'll want to invest in a nice soldering station at some point - it will be an investment. Bottom line, it is fine to go cheap now, but when you outgrow the cheaper one, you'll be better off to get something like the Hakko or Weller posted above, then to sink more money into another cheap iron.

Congrats on your first build...enjoy it!

Faffer

I've owned a few different irons. This one is fantastic: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10553

Better price here:
http://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888-FX-888-Soldering-Station/dp/B004M3U0VU

There is also available overseas in a 220v version.

If this is your first iron, then a cheap 40-50w version will get you by, but understand that if you stick with this or other hobbies that require small and bigger soldering jobs, you'll want to invest in a nice soldering station at some point - it will be an investment. Bottom line, it is fine to go cheap now, but when you outgrow the cheaper one, you'll be better off to get something like the Hakko or Weller posted above, then to sink more money into another cheap iron.

Congrats on your first build...enjoy it!

Well I dont have much use for anything else that needs it right now .. I have a gas one that I have only used now and again for things but they have been more car related .. The idea was to get a nice one for doing this job but as it will only be for this I am not looking to spend to much right now

Main point was to find out what power i would need .. no point getting a low power one to them be stuck with trying to do a job it wont do ..

from reading 50W or 60W sounds like what I need to be looking for.

and a good tip with it for the larger connection (power and ESC)

For things like adding Led lights do you connect them to the main power connection or solder a lead to that and then make you own power block to add and remove things ?

Cheers

Richard