Heavy Lift Octo payload data

Heavy Lift OCTO / HEX payload data

I did not want to get off topic in the "show what you filmed" thread so I thought I would start a new thread here to discuss some testing we did today. We meant to run through more tests but had some problems early on with the Xbee which slowed us down.

Test format:

We flew our octo with no payload, and then loaded on payload in 1lb increments up to a max of 10lbs. This was using 14x4.7 props

This chart shows the current draw at various payloads. The dry weight of the octo RTF with battery was 6.8lbs. The testing was done at 500FT elevation above sea level with an ambient temperature of 82 degrees

I included the data points as well. Hope this will help some of you working on heavy lift octos!

View attachment 834

View attachment 835

Attachments

• CineStar_8_Current_Draw.jpg
    CineStar_8_Current_Draw.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:

Macsgrafs

Nice charts Tabb, very informative & just what I wanted to know. What motors did you go with & are the props standard or slo-fly? How do you find the response of your octo when carrying such a heavy load & is she smoother with more weight, excuse my million questions ;)
Just found your websute & your film work on vimeo...one word my friend..STUNNING!!!!

Regards & thanks
Ross

Ross,

The motors are QC3328. Props are the APC slow fly. With 10lbs she felt 'subdued' but still had plenty of authority. I really like the way it flies with about a 3 to 6lb payload. Still light enough to really toss it around but with enough weight to smooth out the little bumps here and there.

Thanks for the kind words on the website, glad you enjoyed it. The FreeFly team is really enjoying branching out into multi rotors...they offer a lot of flexibility in filming situations.

Tabb

DKTek

Thanks for the info Tabb. Multi rotor is a great platform with it's size, UAV capabilities, and it's an amazing FPV machine. They started out with a lot of potential and are steadily growing.

Macsgrafs

Ross,

The motors are QC3328. Props are the APC slow fly. With 10lbs she felt 'subdued' but still had plenty of authority. I really like the way it flies with about a 3 to 6lb payload. Still light enough to really toss it around but with enough weight to smooth out the little bumps here and there.

Thanks for the kind words on the website, glad you enjoyed it. The FreeFly team is really enjoying branching out into multi rotors...they offer a lot of flexibility in filming situations.

Tabb

Tabb, I'm using 2820/07's on my octo, stll not sure if slofly props are up to the revs we need...was thinking about standard APC electric props???
I found that my old trex 600esp could just about handle my Canon 40D, it meant going full throttle on descents from about 40ft up to reduce the speed, so thats why I went the MR route. I do like your website, you have indeed filmed for a wide range of sources, all good experience.
I had to turn down the BBC just before xmas as I had vibration issues on the heli....hopefully I've cured that with the octo. The mrs is also my camera op & she gets some wicked views....whilst all I see is the bottom of an RC aircraft ;)

Thanks again my friend.

Regards
Ross

Hey Dan! Good to see you on here. I am jumping into multi rotors a bit later then most it seems! Sure having fun with them though. I see a ton of potential as well, especially as cameras get better and better and smaller!

Ross, the trex 600 seems like a bit of a handful with a that much load! not very fun when you have to use full collective on your AP ship! Vibration can be so frustrating on helis!

On my ships I am usually barely hitting 50% throttle and have not had any problem with the slow fly props thus far. The APC Thin Electric props seem to not fly quite as good as the SF props in my opinion. I would really like to test some XOAR props as well.

Best,

Tabb

Macsgrafs

Hey Dan! Good to see you on here. I am jumping into multi rotors a bit later then most it seems! Sure having fun with them though. I see a ton of potential as well, especially as cameras get better and better and smaller!

Ross, the trex 600 seems like a bit of a handful with a that much load! not very fun when you have to use full collective on your AP ship! Vibration can be so frustrating on helis!

On my ships I am usually barely hitting 50% throttle and have not had any problem with the slow fly props thus far. The APC Thin Electric props seem to not fly quite as good as the SF props in my opinion. I would really like to test some XOAR props as well.

Best,

Tabb

Zoar props...I've been looking at them, but I cant justify the cost at this time...maybe a bit further down the road ')
The strange thing with my heli mount was that the first ever flight there was NO vibration issues, but the flights adter were awful!!!! Finally brought a new cam after 1.5 years of issues & problem gone.
I will try the slowfly myself & see what happens.

regrads
Ross

DKTek

Hey Tabb!

Here's what I found flying out here in Iraq, 118 deg F at about 487 ft msl. I didn't chart any thing but I did strap 2.5 liters (5.4 pounds) of water to my stock MK Okto with a 5000mah lipo. It hovered for 8.5 minutes before the alarm sounded. I did do a couple of climb outs and descents to get a feel for the recovery power. I found that it hovered at slightly less than 3/4 throttle and required full throttle to stop the descent in a controllable manner. I definately could feel the weight in response time but it was completely in control. After the test, the motors and speed controllers were warm but not what I'd describe as being hot.

Good info Dan, thanks!

Ross, Heli's can be such a nightmare when it comes to vibration! The last 10 or so filming jobs I have had I have been using the CineStar more and more. It is so much less finicky then the big helis and also really nice to be able to load up 10 flight packs into my backpack if needed for hiking into locations etc.

I did some testing on the Hex yesterday, will post numbers as soon as I get them charted and graphed.

Tabb

Macsgrafs

hahahaha so true Tabb, hence why I have moved from a heli to the octo ;)
I only have 1 set of batts until I sort out max current etc, then will be the right packs (fingers crossed).

Ross

Cinestar 8 and 5dmk2 flight:

http://vimeo.com/28514336

Details:
This is a test flight from take off to landing. We used the Canon 5dmk2 and the footage is unprocessed. The platform is our prototype CineStar 8 oktokopter. AUW was around 11.5 lbs with 7:15 flight time with our 6200mAh lipo. The battery took 5260mAh on recharge and we were showing around 50Amp draw during flight. The hottest ESC was at 80C and the motors were barely warm when we landed.

Cheers,
Jeff

Tabb, I'm sure you're very busy. No worries. Something I'd also like to ask about is the CS gimbal. Is it too soon to discuss details? It looks outstanding.

Quick test with the Cinestar 6. AUW was around 9lbs.

Looking at the numbers while lifting the 5dmk2 with the Cinestar 6. Ambient temp was 88F, and the hottest esc was 79C. Average amp draw was 40-45amps with 50 amps on climb out. Flight time was 8.5 minutes on a 6200 mah.

Cheers,
Jeff

MICROFOE

I have been involved with photography at a professional level for more than 25 years. A couple of year ago, I got bored with photography and put my Hasselblad away. Researching the Hexikopters heavily for the past several months has gotten me very interested in the AP and AV part. My question and it may be a silly question, is if the FAA says that AP and AV using multirotor and the unmanned helis is illegal for profit, how are we doing all these great photos and videos? I really want to get involved with the AP and AV part of the multirotor scene but I do not want to invest the $ to make this possible and then be told I can not use it. These great photos and videos have made me want to get involved with photography again. I am a total beginner at the multirotor part, so any answers you can give me would be very helpful.

DKTek

Some of these guys aren't necessarily doing this for profit but maybe some of them are simply using them in their arsenal of devices as an elevated tripod for holding their cameras. Just another peice of equipment, tripods, telescoping mast, jibs, sand bags, hands, multicopter, poles, etc. If you're a PRO then I'm sure you've seen or used tripods costing close to $10k.

I'm sure this won't help much but something to think about...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Microfoe.. once you start you just cant stop.. but be warned its not cheap. I am not a professional photographer just a keen amateur. I have been to the most amazing places on this planet and got some amazing photos.. I cant travel anymore like I used to but what I have found is the results I get from my ADX3 gives me the greatest satisfaction. Here in the UK flying for reward is legal as long as you jump through the hoops.. I have jumped and should have my CAA permission to fly by the end of the month.. I will then try and get some of my investment back but it will take a long time!

Dave