Coming soon Zenmuse gimbal

DennyR

LOL, OK guys...

It was shot by Ron Goodman in 'Professione: reporter/The Passenger", 1973.

Here's a link for the people that I typically work with, written by Stan McClain. http://legendofpanchobarnes.com/film/about-the-film/history-of-aerial-cinematography.html

Lots of history here, good and bad. Enjoy!

Guys, remember that traveling forward in a steady state is a no brainer for the horizon. Mr. Goodman shot that 8 minute peice back in 1973 with a modified Wescam, his mods.

I don't know who told you that. because it is the most used shot in the book. The reason that they use fiber optic gyros in the worlds best systems is because of accuracy and NO DRIFT. Foreword tracking produces the least amount of motion blur which is present on every camera move to a greater or lesser extent. Continuous side tracking or long pan movements cause the viewer to continually make eye movements L to R or R to L and should be avoided. When used in the context of film making the viewer should be aware of the spacial orientation of the view point. It's called crossing the line. Hose piping everything in site with one continuous move is reserved for amateurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

japp agree we don't know what king of test is was but i really question though that they push out a test not to its max performance video considering all the discussion thats going on around the gimbal. Like said i am impressed by the vibration jitters wobbles that get compensated, and couldn't point out any other gimbal IMU combo that can do the same out in the market out of the box. But would have been such a simple one to drop a couple lines from DJI to explain the video and not dodge right away again.

I have to agree that the vibration suppression works well. But that is a separate issue from the camera mount resolution. DJI will get it right but they should not show anything until it is right and in the hands of a pro.shooter. As it stands it has a drift issue. I also think that the feedback idea is wrong. If the camera IMU is placed on the camera mount which is soft mounted then it is behind what the model movement is doing because the most vital sensing is in the initial movement. The total mass of the mount will not move at the same time as the model because the soft mounts will absorb the first part of that movement. When the imu does see the movement it is already playing catch up and the opposite reaction of the servo input will also be seen by the IMU this means that a PID loop is having to optimize a number of variables in the whole dive chain. There is a far better way of doing things!!!

DKTek

I don't know who told you that. because it is the most used shot in the book. The reason that they use fiber optic gyros in the worlds best systems is because of accuracy and NO DRIFT. Foreword tracking produces the least amount of motion blur which is present on every camera move to a greater or lesser extent. Continuous side tracking or long pan movements cause the viewer to continually make eye movements L to R or R to L and should be avoided. When used in the context of film making the viewer should be aware of the spacial orientation of the view point. It's called crossing the line. Hose piping everything in site with one continuous move is reserved for amateurs.

My statements come from EXPERIENCE working over 100 feature aerial film jobs and spots. Also several hundred video shoots for baseball, football, tennis, INDYcar, NAScar, CART,offshore boat racing, Olympics, concerts, academy awards shows, surveillance, documentarys, evidence footage for law suites, and a few ground shots from camera cars, cranes, dollys, cable cams. Good old practical experience since 1994, hardly an amateur.

So, just what are the "worlds best systems"? Since I work with the industry standards in gyro stab systems, military and civilian, I'm just curious.

The forward tracking shot is a typical shot for credits but hardly the most used because they bore directors who tend to be very dynamic thinkers. Some downright refuse to use it. Motion blur or pixel smear is mainly an issue when flying low at higher speeds such as, the look down shot over water with a tilt up to city landscape as you pass the shore line OR tracking ground targets. Various shoot speeds affect the blur as well. Not to say that blur isn't sometimes a desirable creative tool.

DennyR

Keep your hair on buddy it's nothing personal just my view as a Director of Aerial Filming. End of story, but FWIW this is the best aerial camera system that has ever been made.

When John Coyle sold off Cineflex to Axis technology he moved to NZ and started up again. I think you won't find this in the US just yet as it violates some of the patents that he sold to Axis. I was also warned not to copy that patent.

http://www.shot-over.com/cinema-system.html

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Wasn't it here we were talking about long aerial takes and moving horizons and such? Has anyone seen this remarkable bit of work?

and then ... just to illustrate how we have all been pissing into the wind, have a gander at this:

Last edited by a moderator:

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
nicely done segway piloting

and to think that some people say only women can multitask well thats just blown that remark into the weeds good and proper

well cool

keith

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
What about the mount?

Ross

That mount is a special DJI mount. They paid big bucks for that and has been working with DJI in development for large commercial use. That's all the information I have on that. They have a NDA agreement and even I can't see pics of it.

Macsgrafs

A fore runner to the zenmuse then ;)
It's very stable & when I look at what some of the guys are using on here with a picloc etc & yet they still cant get that smoothness, does make you wonder which way to go!!!!

Ross

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Updates regarding: S800, Zenmuse, future firmware:

Give me a few hours (might be in the morning) to go over my notes from the conference call with DJI just now and to clarify a few things with them.

I will have a bunch of information as well as DJI will be releasing also.

Note: Not trying to promote myself, come across as Mr. DJI dist. etc. Don't care about that stuff. When I get information that I'm allowed to release to the public I will do so.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
There are some very good discounts for pre order and combo purchases.

Trust me I hate waiting also. I will post in the morning or as soon as I get the updates. There are just few thing to clarify and I'm not at liberty to post anything until the "top brass" give me the okay.

All I know is I have been waiting a longtime for this. :)

Michael64

The video is great but if nobody else can get the mount what the purpose you see footage in the movies like all the time. I am sure we all more interested in stuff that can be purchase by anyone rather just for hobby or commercial use.

Michael64

Tahoe Ed

From Sidney on RCG:

Pricing in China is slightly different than for North America and Europe. For North America-

MSRP
Zenmuse 3-axis gimbal $3,470
S800 Spreading Wings $1,610

There will be substantial savings for existing WKM and Ace One owners during pre-order period from March 10 to April 10. The pre-order period is limited to end users and not "Dealer". Official DJI website in English will list the detail within 12 hours.

S800: during preorder period
Not WKM owner $1,370
WKM owner $1,050
Ace One Onwer $1,050

Zenmuse during preorder period
Not WKM owenr $3,150
WKM owner $2,510
WKM Waypoint owner $2,350
Ace One C&G owner $2,350

There are additional savings; I am listing the most important part here as detail will be on the website soon.

Great deal no the S800. Not so sure about the Zenmuse yet.