Coming soon Zenmuse gimbal

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm are you sure that it will be able to take a 5d later this year because of an upgrade or that they will bring out another version that takes bigger DSLRs ?

Boris

iceman

$3470 USD for a gimbal that won't hold anything bigger than a NEX 5N...!?!?!?!

$3470 USD... for that much I can get a pair of AV130 AND a CineStar gimbal and still have cash left. I'm out on this one, the pricing is ridiculous, I don't care how magical it is or claims to be. I see another Photohigher gimbal in my future, waiting to see what the upgrade is that Kimberly mentioned will be coming around the end of March.

Ken

Also with you on this one ken, like my AV200 and will wait to see what the upgrade is, I bet it's worth waiting for, great product and great service. I always get a reply to emails and parts shipped to UK within 10 days.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
This is speculation because I don't have any specs etc yet. But, remember the Zenmuse comes with its own stabilization (IMU etc..). So i "assume" it will be carried over to a larger gimbal when ready. So maybe the upgrade is simply a larger gimbal with motors.

I'm sure by the end of the week we will have a lot more information.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
In post #48 Sidneyw says that the 3axis gimbal does not work with WK H. He also says that if they decide to make Red one and FS100 gimbal it will only be for helicopters.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1606280&page=4

So the Zenmuse 15 imu is tied up to DJI's flight controllers.

For this amount of money a locked system that only carries a nex is a joke. I will wait for PH AV200 upgrade.

Unfortunately, although it does seem too restrictive I am not that surprised. Gimbal stabilization is such an involved process that communication between the gimbal and the FC IMU does not sound unreasonable if absolute camera stability is the goal. With all due respect to George and his sterling work to produce a magic box, even he knows that there are limitations for an electronic standalone solution. In the same way that Apple's fortunes are a result of keeping control over both hardware and software, having control over both FC and gimbal has to result in tighter, more reliable integration. Something that PC's running Windows could not achieve and that the standalone magic gimbal box will not.

Limiting the camera size of the first model to that of a NEX is also not stupid. We have already discovered that trying to take big, heavy cameras with ever-increasingly large MR's reaches a point of diminishing returns sooner, rather than later. As such, using a smaller, lighter camera is not an unreasonable direction to concentrate upon. It is but a very small minority that can dabble with likes of RED cameras.

I reckon $3500 for a gimbal that works is a fair price to pay, but it is a bummer of you don't already have the DJI FC. It basically means building a new aerial platform with DJI installed so the eventual cost of the new gimbal will actually be closer $10,000 and upwards.

We all talk in terms of 3-axis stabilization as being the last word whereas true image stability needs to work in at least five axes, to include lateral and vertical movement. Once we have all spent our money on the final word in 3-axis stabilization, 5-axis stabilization devices will be coming along to keep the money circulation going.

I agree for the most part, but...

If you gonna spent 10-15 k on a multirotor AVP wouldn't you want to carry more than a nex?

I know I would.

yeehaanow

The hacked gh2 is really giving higher end cameras a run for their money. Especially for content destined for web or broadcast. The only place the average Joe is likely to notice the difference is in a theater on a 40' screen. And with 'perfect' stabilization jello and rolling shutter are a non-issue.
I knew it would be priced out of my league, but that much money for something that shows drifting issues in all of dji's videos??! No thanks.
It's still impressive I guess.

DennyR

The size and quality of small cameras is getting better by the day. It is a no brainer to be trying to lift a 5D with full telemetry by anything other than a helicopter. TRex 700 with 830 asym. blades like Tabb has is the way to go. if you want reasonable safe flight times and Ace one. The rest of the story was told by Vijay Kumar.

You might be a little sick when some kid with a ARDrone turns up taking better pictures than you are. It could happen. Kids learn fast from people who do know what they are talking about. You cant compete with companies this size. I am willing to bet their stab. system works properly with some cute distribution bells and whistles thrown in.

Sadly, If you have not made your fortune yet as an AP I doubt that you ever will.

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
I am just confused why bring out the 3 axis first (probably more expensive than the 2-axis and more development), and than offer it with a frame that doesnt have a retraceable landinggear whats the point ? Someone is making strange decisions :)

Tahoe Ed

Boris, remember this gimbal works on helis as well as multis. There are a lot of Ace One users out there that might be very interested in the 3 axis. Front mounted you would have 270 degrees available. Just my speculation.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
japp agree but than i must have some communication between the departments, hey were going for the 3 axis first because of our heli customers or what ever, ah okay than we will do a retraceable landing gear for the s800, ( might be a turn off for our customers if we bring out a upgrade later that costs again, japp might be but money for us hahahah etc. ) hey FC department we want to do a retraceable landing gear hmmm there are only 2 AUX ports for traditional receiver and virtually for s-bus users, hmmm so they have to choose between IOC gains setting gimbal control or controlling the retraceable, :)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=20928849&postcount=6

but all speculation again lets see what finally will be posted info wise.

llbr22

I still think it's too early to tell. Right now what I see is footage similar to putting a steadicam in the hands of a non experienced operator or guidance from a DP. I've seen it with basic pan til robotics and cranes and jibs as well when I used to be In production. (also note production quality jibs and even basic robotics cost more than this)

Put in the right hands, it still may be a great unit.