Cinestar 6 + YS-X6 flight controller

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken have you had any success with the YS-X6 on the Cinestar?

Yes and no. I flew it sucessfully with 14 inch props which I could never do with the WKM and have it not wobble and weave as soon as it got off the ground. With the YS and the 14 inch props it flew almost as well as the WKM does with 11 or 12 inch props so that was a big improvement. Thing that didn't work so well was the YS gimbal stabilization, very basic and not at all tunable to the degree it needs to be to work well, the test flights with the Nex 5N resulted in unusable video no matter what I did with the limited settings.

I then put it aside until I had a production Skyline RSGS to do the gimbal stabilization, once I got one I installed it and went out for a test flight where the YS flipped as soon as it got off the ground which it obviously had never done before or even shown any sign that it might. End result was a couple busted props and a bent AV130 from the visual inspection I did afterward. It went on a shelf soon after and has been gathering dust since, been too busy with work and enjoying the decent weather outside to spend the hours it's going to take to get it all sorted and back into flying condition with a working gimbal. That and the fact that I'm a bit fed up with being on the bleeding edge of multirotor technology right now, I'm having a lot more fun sitting in my directors chair at the field and exploring with my FPV quads than sitting at the workbench trying to male things work that aren't fully baked yet.

I'm on vacation this week and should I find myself with nothing better to do I may clear some space on the bench and get it straightened out, or I may strip it down and sell some of the bits off to fund another FPV quad, haven't fully made up my mind which way I'm going to go.

Ken

hexa

Thats a bumper I feel your pain on the crash. am running cenistar 6 with these settings wkm basic 230 230 130 180 alti 170/170,
in this vid am running 12 props I get the same stability with 14 props, only thing I find with the 14 props is the motors run a bit hot,

if you ever fix your cenistar try those wkm gain settings

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi RTRyder,

I was just wondering if you could update me on your experience with YS-X6.
I have been planning on building a Cinestar 8 for filming and planned on using WKM.
But some people on here told me about YS-X6 and it sounds very good.

How do you find it for your Cinestar?
Would you recommend it over WKM?
Cheers Ryan

nicwilke

I've only just got this system running on my Droidworx ADX-4 (X8 Coaxial). I love it. I need a few tuning things done, but this is out of the box from Multirotortech in Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

Thats a bumper I feel your pain on the crash. am running cenistar 6 with these settings wkm basic 230 230 130 180 alti 170/170,
in this vid am running 12 props I get the same stability with 14 props, only thing I find with the 14 props is the motors run a bit hot,

if you ever fix your cenistar try those wkm gain settings
Hows the gimbal stabilizing Hexa? I'm not even going to hook it up, I'm going to use the RSGS.

hexa

Hows the gimbal stabilizing Hexa? I'm not even going to hook it up, I'm going to use the RSGS.
I Just saw this reply post. Being away for a couple weeks

The wkm gimbal is more smooth now but its still not the best. I should receive a ph rsgs in a few days. By the looks of it from the beta demo vids this gimbal board could Be the one. I'll report with my findings after testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nicwilke

Cool. Beta 1.2.0 looking good. Get some 2.5kohm resistors.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346615250926.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1346615250926.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 150

E-Copter

Yes and no. I flew it sucessfully with 14 inch props which I could never do with the WKM and have it not wobble and weave as soon as it got off the ground. With the YS and the 14 inch props it flew almost as well as the WKM does with 11 or 12 inch props so that was a big improvement. Thing that didn't work so well was the YS gimbal stabilization, very basic and not at all tunable to the degree it needs to be to work well, the test flights with the Nex 5N resulted in unusable video no matter what I did with the limited settings.

I then put it aside until I had a production Skyline RSGS to do the gimbal stabilization, once I got one I installed it and went out for a test flight where the YS flipped as soon as it got off the ground which it obviously had never done before or even shown any sign that it might. End result was a couple busted props and a bent AV130 from the visual inspection I did afterward. It went on a shelf soon after and has been gathering dust since, been too busy with work and enjoying the decent weather outside to spend the hours it's going to take to get it all sorted and back into flying condition with a working gimbal. That and the fact that I'm a bit fed up with being on the bleeding edge of multirotor technology right now, I'm having a lot more fun sitting in my directors chair at the field and exploring with my FPV quads than sitting at the workbench trying to male things work that aren't fully baked yet.

I'm on vacation this week and should I find myself with nothing better to do I may clear some space on the bench and get it straightened out, or I may strip it down and sell some of the bits off to fund another FPV quad, haven't fully made up my mind which way I'm going to go.

Ken

HI,

from what i can see on your setup, you have a bunch of wires, battery wires, esc wires going right under the stabilisation unit, with 2 strong potential magnes ( aka batteries) sitting right on each side.
This is not good, as first ennemy of your stabilisation system compass are all these wires and batteries.
I would suggest that you higher a little your stabilisation unit and build a simple farrady cage. it's easy to do, any small metal grid sheets will do the job, just wire it to ground cable, and make it run over your batteries and cable so it acts as a shield between Batts /cables and the stabilisation unit.
The compass ( magnetometer) will not be disturbed at all this way, and will not have performances losses as magnetic field for the compass is all around so don't worry.

This works perfectly for DJI F450 / 550 frames, and this is also the reason why Wookong put a loooong mast on the Wookong M for GPs / compass to avoid magnetic disturbances from their copper frames.

This is also why on Mikrokopter most of the time some people can not take off " gently" and hape to give a gut frank input, as ther is a sudden rise of power so a strong magnetic field coming up and making the compass getting a bit nuts (many " circling" issues are due to these siple phenomenas because of ESc's and current constant and fast oscillations when spinning on yaw axis) + the ground effect helping to flip over..

Normally, first step is to make a compass calibration with the full system ready to fly (i don't know if Y6 allows this or Wookong, we have this feature on our controller with vector and compass graphics and it refuses to re calibrate if acquisition is not good enough) , and then chase for any EMI disturbance.

If you are not used with this, well just use a handheld good yeah old compass and it will tell you lot ( remove props and bring motors to idle and you will be very surprised of the manual compass behaviour close to your main unit sensor..)

Finally, it can also be due to a controller failure, an ESC failure and many other things and only way to know about it is to check carefully the logs of the unit, if provided, to find the culprit and why the multi flipped over at take off. BEst to avoid this is to always take off without GPS /vario lock ( because it includes compass to be active), when flying normal mode compass is, in most cases, not active.

I wish you all the best for your frame rebuild and hope you will be able to solve your little problems on this nice Skyjib frame :)

If it can make you get more positive, 70% of compass problems and strange behaviour in GPS lock are solved with little farraday cages, and only once this thing is clear you can end up with a good result and real fine tuning :)

Best regards,

Fabien

3dheliguy

Holy molly guys... This is some crazy stuff. What happened to the good old Tryed and True!!!! I mean im a heli guy, and just going to say it doesnt pay to be on the Bleeding Edge unless your to bored and have way to much money.

Do yourself a favor take a deep breath and let the pros out there figure out through countless hours of testing and the endless cash flow before you buy something.

If I were in your shoes with all that equipment, then all I would want is a tryed and trues system with diversity and robustness for protection, but Im not so disregard my post im just dreaming of that much money!

E-Copter

+1 with you 3D heliguy :)

On my side i like to track and solve issues on these stuffs, this is beautiful hardware there and it just needs a bit of work i'm sure, now there are some realiable solutions to each problems for sure :)

Hope this nice multi will soon get back in the air and make it's owner happy to fly and use it :)
BEst regards,
Fabien

Ps: farraday cage is a good yeah old trick and i just wonder why no vendor install them on such systems including on motor wires ( shielding with light metal braid) to help electronics to do it's job ?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Holy molly guys... This is some crazy stuff. What happened to the good old Tryed and True!!!! I mean im a heli guy, and just going to say it doesnt pay to be on the Bleeding Edge unless your to bored and have way to much money.

Do yourself a favor take a deep breath and let the pros out there figure out through countless hours of testing and the endless cash flow before you buy something.

If I were in your shoes with all that equipment, then all I would want is a tryed and trues system with diversity and robustness for protection, but Im not so disregard my post im just dreaming of that much money!

There's something to be said for tried and true, so that's what I did. I repaired the AV130 gimbal and swapped back to the WKM flight controller on the Cinestar using the APC thin E 12 x 6 props and reflashed HK Blue Series ESCs. As an added bonus I installed one of my FPV cameras on the gimbal platform with a 5.8gHz video TX out on one of the arms. Flew it this morning for the first time since the repair/swap and also for the first time piloting through FPV goggles. The WKM flys just as steady as I remember it and still has the little quirks I remember as well but over all it just works.

Seeing things from the camera point of view is nothing new to me as I do mostly FPV flying now although flying using video goggles with the camera mounted on a fully stabilized platform is certainly different!

The YS-X6 controller works but it isn't as mature as the WKM or MK. The way the gimbal stabilization worked made it unsuitable fo use on the Cinestar, not to mention that the size of the components would require modifying the top levels of the frame, something I wasn't ready to do for a flight controller that would require a standalone IMU to run the gimbal. Not that the WKM gimbal stabilization is all that great, but it does work reasonably well for my needs, and when Photohigher finally gets the firmware straightened out for the RSGS I'll probably go back to using it instead of connecting the servos to the WKM.

These days I just don't have the time or patience to spend hours and hours trying to make cutting edge hardware work accepatbly well when there are proven systems that I can use to get the job done with a minimum of hassle.

Ken

P.S. - anyone interested in buying a complete YS-X6 system with wifi and standard data modems?

3dheliguy

Now that sound like a man knowing when to just cut through the bullish*^t, and just make the most important thing there is other than Family, Friends etc and that is MONEY!

If your making money don't change a thing, there will always be new toys, but bread and butter is more important than that.

Wise move!

nicwilke

P.S. - anyone interested in buying a complete YS-X6 system with wifi and standard data modems?
Hey Ken, would you trade a WKM for a YS-X6, have a mate in the UK who wants 4 waypoints but doesnt want the cost of WKM upgrade.