Cinestar 6 + YS-X6 flight controller

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Recently I've been testing the ZeroUAV YS-X6 flight controller, a system similar to the WKM but with a better range of tuning parameters to work with. So far it has worked as advertised and has some interesting features that I think would make it well suited to APV use. Since I haven't seen anything other than solid performance from the YS since I started flying it I'm going to skip the intermediate step of transferring it to my Droidworx AD6 and go directly to swapping out the Wookong-M now on the Cinestar for the YS-X6 system. If it works as well there as it has on the testbed quad I should be able to run normal size props and have stability and altitude hold similar to the WKM without all the issues the DJI system has on large frames.

Tomorrow I'll start the swap and hope to get some initial flights in this weekend weather permitting, it's been especially rainy here lately so have to wait and see. Right now my AV130 is down as the Skyline IMU is on its way back to New Zealand to be updated to the latest firmware so I also have to put it back into stock form with the external pots to be able to test the YS gimbal stabilization, either that or wait until I have another Skyline in my hands and forget about the built in stabilization. I don't want to use my older AV130 as it doesn't have Savox servos and doesn't work nearly as well as the newer production units, wouldn't really be a fair test IMO.

I'll be updating this thread as the project progresses, it will be interesting to see if the YS-X6 can match or outperform either the WKM or MK flight control systems on the Cinestar, I certainly think it has the potential to at least equal MK and outperform the WKM, we'll see how that turns out soon...

Ken

Piranha

Ken, thanks a lot;) we all waiting and hope that everithing should be good and silk smooth;) Good luck!!!

jrlederer

guys, I gotta tell you I feel like I must be on the short bus here because it seem I only hear of a change in trends just when I've finally forked down the $$ for the system being phased-out. Here, again, I appeal to those who are obviously more versed in the cutting edge trend for the top-of-the-line components. just to fill anyone who doesn't know me yet in on the state o affairs my bank account has been dealing with lately (I feel pitiful even repeating these statistics, but have a bit of comfort provided that these items were thought, at the time of purchase, to be the absolute best available. whether this was due to false advertising, sellers lack of more qualified information whilst trying to sell as many of the units before being figured out that there exists a discrepancy between claims made by advertising, and real performance. Here goes: I initially ordered DW's demoed configuration exactly as I figured they could put whatever they saw fit on their model due to having the systems at their disposal as a result of their group of local distributors as well as their worldwide popularity with people in all fields relating to these types of craft, therefore I followed and ordered 10 Axi 4120/20 motors (2 spares just in case of future incidents, etc..), a SkyJib 8 frameset by droidworx, SkyJib retractable gear set for obstruction free panoramic aerials, FreeFly Studios 3-axis mount (custom adapted to SkyJib mounting capability), an Aerodrive 8, and then a full stack of MK electronics. at the same time, I had learned about the availability of Herkules ESC boards and, considering the Aerodrive, which nobody knew anything about at the time except from claims and a rave description of them and their exorbitant prices. An erroneous thought process led a couple of us on this forum to assume that surely they couldn't sell a device incapable of performing as advertise for ridiculously high prices they were charging for ownership. After speaking with the manufacturer of the Herks boards, I was told directly outright that I should not employ these controller cards to be used in tandem with the large sized motors that I planned. thereafter, upon carousing around this website I ultimately encountered multiple build threads and a couple demonstrations of well-flying SkyJibs using the same Aerodrive board, but instead claiming the advantage that this newer motor (Plettenberg 15-20 or 20-18) clearly has over the Axi's which sported an old-fashioned design that couldn't be compared to the better engineered Pletty's (this was part of the false advertising campaign being dealt with I another thread on this same site. Accordingly, after much hesitation, I ended up splurging (wasting?) on these supposedly great motifs for the application and dropped a bunch of cash on 10 pieces of the pletty 20-18's. lo and behold, my luck, now both of these motors I've received cautionary warnings about them not being suitablly power-able using one of the two Aerodrive boards I got (one was for redundancy on a movie set, should oe have an issue or had I a mishap with one).

Sorry for the lengthy lead in to my point here, but after that whole expensive mistake process of buying before getting initial reports from other users who wanted part in a first run of a new product, the most recent thing I may have made a purchasing error with is they choice of FC + Nav!!! just a week ago, I got this feeling in my gut that somehow, DJI would slowly become the FC of choice due to its secure packaging of sensors and ability to utilize standard ESCs. Since I use the AceOne on my single-rotor 800 AP ship, I ended up pulling the trigger and rush ordered a WKM Click&Go Waypoint w/GCS version of the DJI, only now this week to learn of this ZeroUAV setup that has recently surfaced that, after reading initial reports by various users, is better suited to large HL MR's than the WKM, and so now what do I do? I suppose with this decision I am much more likely to have it swapped out for what I really end up deciding on due to the fact tht I never yet have opened the box to the DJI-- it's still in brand-new, unopened condition.

I end this unnecessarily long chatter with the question of what should I end up choosing for my components of choice considering I basically have 2each of herkules II v4, Aerodrive 8, MK + gps electronics, hoverfly +Gps, ad well as WKM WP, and which pieces should I strive to get RMA numbers and credits for!?

thanks,
Jonathan

Kari

Ken

I'm waiting my ys package to arrive any day and at first i'll put it to my F550. After initial flights i'll swap it to my cinestar 6 too. Think i'm probably going to by another cs6 frame so i'll have backup frame with wkm and can easily swap cameramount from frame to another. I'll post here too my progress when i,ll get there, and can't wait to hear your experience!

Kari

vispaaja

Hey,

Could anyone measure the size of the main controller and the IMU? The main controller looks massive in the picture.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey,

Could anyone measure the size of the main controller and the IMU? The main controller looks massive in the picture.

I can't measure mine where it's mounted in the frame right now but this might help...

IMG_2171a.jpg

Ken

Tahoe Ed

Jonathan, I would not be so upset. The YS-X6 is currently working with WiFi at a limited range. To get WKM Data Link range you have to buy a 900mHz Tx and a license which I think is another $1500 or there about. If you have an Ace One I think that you will be happy with the WKM combo. They just released the beta of the PC software for the YS-X6 otherwise you need an Android device or a jail broke iPhone/Pad to set it up. You can use Bluestacks to emulate an Android device on you PC, something that I did while I waited for the PC program. If I did not have the help of V at gothelirc.com I could not have set the YS-X6 using just the currently available manual. I am still not sure what I did under his instruction. Maybe the PC software will be more intuitive. I own one and a WKM with Data Link. Right now my vote is for the WKM but as the product matures, I could change my mind. Cheers!

Reginak

YS-X6 on a Skyjib6 + AV200. I also flight in a WKM and with 14x4,7 the Skyjib + WKM was horrible, in YS-X6 it is much better, but now I will reflash ESCs to get more of the gains.

dsc00006iv.jpg

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I just managed to get a quick test hop on the Cinestar/YS between rain showers. With a WKM on the CS it was basically not flyable with the standard 14 x 4.7 APC slow flyers that work fine when using Mk electronics, with the YS it flys pretty stable using the 14 x 4.7 props so right there we have a winner!

I currently have the YS set to default settings and it does need some parameter adjustments to smooth things out but the fact that it will fly in this configuration is a major plus. I didn't have a camera on the gimbal but I was watching the platform while it was in the air and it appeared to be compensating quite well. Exactly how well will have to wait for things to dry out a bit so I can mount the Nex 5N and tune the settings a little but overall from what I just saw I think it's going to be much better than what I could do with the WKM.

Unfortunately it may be sometime tomorrow if not later that it stops raining long enough to get a decent flight in...

IMG_2181a.jpg

multirotortech

You can buy the data radio for half the price of DJI's. YS-X6 data radio uses 900mhz and the range would be comparable with any other system that uses this freq including that of DJI. Add another $500 as special deal for upgrade to enhanced kit then you get 500 meters radius of 16 waypoint system plus unlimited click and go and target lock.

YS-X6 is a mature product, we have tested the following features that all work beautifully: waypoints, click and go, follow me, RTH and auto land, telemetry, even joystick etc. Dealers will happily support customer to properly set up their gear, that is even worth much more than a manual. Sure the manual needs improvements but not few people has been successful setting up their gear with current version of manual and most importantly let's not discount the support from dealers.

jrlederer

Ken, any further updates in your findings regarding the WKM/ZeroUAV comparison? I am still in the process of figuring out whether to develop a smll case of buyers remorse for investing in the WKM+900MHz data radio (hopefully will get the single waypoint upgrade once I finally open the box --been busy lately). ;)

Looking forward to hearing your results.

--Jonathan

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
You can buy the data radio for half the price of DJI's. YS-X6 data radio uses 900mhz and the range would be comparable with any other system that uses this freq including that of DJI. Add another $500 as special deal for upgrade to enhanced kit then you get 500 meters radius of 16 waypoint system plus unlimited click and go and target lock.

YS-X6 is a mature product, we have tested the following features that all work beautifully: waypoints, click and go, follow me, RTH and auto land, telemetry, even joystick etc. Dealers will happily support customer to properly set up their gear, that is even worth much more than a manual. Sure the manual needs improvements but not few people has been successful setting up their gear with current version of manual and most importantly let's not discount the support from dealers.

multirotortech,

are you the manufacturer of the YS-X6 system?