Building first drone and new to this

Hoki

Ok i think im having a problem. Last night i was trying to solder a motor to a esc but the wires were so long and i saw on utube some people will solder the motor wires directly to the esc board so i cut off the wrapper and unsoldered the 3 wires and then soldered the motor ones there but on my last wire the solder got a bit crazy and it overflowed to some other little box thing thats along the sides.... what do i doooooo

Hoki

I was thinking about heating up and then going over it with a q-tip maybe with some alcohol on it

Hoki

Well I guess I'll just fix this one and I'll just put those little connectors on the rest and just bunch of the excess cable and put like a heat shrink over it

Hoki

So when i put the power cable to this power board so i just solder it to one of the dots? I notice thers 5 there but only 4 escs

Attachments

• 20160106_154958.jpg
    20160106_154958.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 452

FLJim

So when i put the power cable to this power board so i just solder it to one of the dots? I notice thers 5 there but only 4 escs
Yes, you solder your + (red) and - (black) ESC cable to the pads. The 5th pads are for your battery connection pigtail. If you take a look at my 250 build thread I think I have a picture there of mine, which is the exact same one you have. Be sure you know which motor you are installing where so that you solder the right ESC to the right pads (assuming you are just soldering your motors to the ESC wires rather than using connectors for your little quad).

Also, they make some stuff called solder wick for cleaning up excess solder. It's like a braided wire that soaks up the solder when you heat it up and use the wick. There are also solder suckers that are like the old ear cleaning bulbs, but with a hard plastic nozzle, that you can use to quickly pull off melted solder. It will quickly cool and harden and you can empty the bulb.

Hoki

Where do i put this! Does the cc3d go on top?

Attachments

• 20160107_185748.jpg
    20160107_185748.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 206

Hoki

Ok so i managed to stuff it on top of the power board so it fits ok after all just the wires on too are a bit smushed up against the roof. I went through all the set up and figured out to arm it with my remote and hovered breifly so i guess now i gotta fix all this excess wires. I guess ill cut and solder them shorter and make it all nice n neat. I put the big receiver on for now but i got the small r6d coming in the mail. I donno how to do the ppm thing so i can use just 1 wire but i wanna do that. Give me suggestions please on how to make it better

Attachments

• 20160107_234246.jpg
    20160107_234246.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20160107_234253.jpg
    20160107_234253.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 220

FLJim

How did you mount your CC3D on top of the power board? I chose to mount mine directly to the chassis since it needs to be a stable part of the quad. If it wiggles at all it will throw off the stabilization when flying in anything but manual mode. Yours is smaller than mine as I had room on the center plate to mount my ESCs front and back, but most people mount them on the arms like you are doing. My power board is zip tied under the top plate above my FC, but mine had bent pins (meaning the ESC connections where on the side instead of the top) so there was room. I also had room at the front, just behind where the camera would go, to put my receiver. However, I will likely move it to the top so that I can use a 3D printed antenna mount for my X8R receiver.

Hoki

How did you mount your CC3D on top of the power board? I chose to mount mine directly to the chassis since it needs to be a stable part of the quad. If it wiggles at all it will throw off the stabilization when flying in anything but manual mode. Yours is smaller than mine as I had room on the center plate to mount my ESCs front and back, but most people mount them on the arms like you are doing. My power board is zip tied under the top plate above my FC, but mine had bent pins (meaning the ESC connections where on the side instead of the top) so there was room. I also had room at the front, just behind where the camera would go, to put my receiver. However, I will likely move it to the top so that I can use a 3D printed antenna mount for my X8R receiver.
I used doubke sided tabe on top of the power board that was just thick enough so when i put the cc3d on top it sits on the 4 screws holding the power board and sticks to it