Build TBS Disco modded to X8 AQ FC and ESC32

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

Now is the time to give AQ6 a try and I am excited ! For the heck of it and already having a X4 TBS discovery I am interested to setup another one but overpowered ( X8 conf) for the fun of it for fast ascends and forward flights. If i understood it correctly the AQ6 has no manual mode with deactivated self leveling, but thats actually what I am interested in knowing that other FC like the naza have issues at full speed flight in self-level mode or straight manual mode shaking up etc.

So lets see how the AQ6 will perform on a dedicated FPV quad tending towards speed !

Components

Frame:
View attachment 7051View attachment 7054

Nice FPV setup since the OSD and clean v regulators for VTX and CAM are in the TBS core and the distribution is in the bottom plate plus current sensor. For those who don't know the frame !

Motors:

View attachment 7053

8 x Kopterworx KW 2

Maximum load current. (180 sec): 17 A
No-load speed: 840 rpm / V
Recommended Propeller Size: 9" .. 11"
Mechanical power: 200 W
Thrust max.: 1200 g
Wire length: about 40cm
Total weight (without cable): approx 75g

---------------------------------------------------

Of coarse the standard arms of the disco will have to be modded. The bottom landing gear thingis on the arm will be cut off and the motor mounts section will be support by 8mm Marklon plates to support the arms and to allow the X 8 configuration. Lets see how much flex is in these dji arms maybe a carbon sleeve will have to give them support or a nano carbon fibre tubes filling will support the structure.

View attachment 7050

Additionally the plates will allow LEDs in the motors mounts for orientation:

View attachment 7052

Still have to design a new landing gear for the x8 configuration. Probably gonna use Makrlon again lets see to follow.....

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 388
  • TBScomp.jpg
    TBScomp.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 378
  • MotorplatesEXP.jpg
    MotorplatesEXP.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 415
  • KW2.jpg
    KW2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 351
  • Bild_4.jpg
    Bild_4.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 470
Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
AD6 and need additional components:

AD6 of coarse:

View attachment 7055

gonna power the AD6 over a CC Bec, just trust there the most. Not sure if i am getting the Rev 2 of the AD6 or not. The Rev one take up to 18v, so just in case nothing change in Rev2 the CC bec is ready !
View attachment 7064

ESC 32:

Would really like to go with 5s but still have to check how the motors deal with it !

View attachment 7056

Just ordered some stuff for the ESC32:

Jianghai Ultra-LOW-ESR Radialer Kondensator (Ø x H) 12.5 mm x 25 mm Rastermaß 5 mm 470 µF 50 V

Actually wrong pic
icon_e_smile.gif

View attachment 7057

Gonna use Holcos Heatsink approach on one side and the smaller ones used before on the other side not to get the ESC to massiv !

SMD-Kühlkörper Fischer Elektronik ICK SMD B 19 (L x B x H) 19 x 19 x 4.8 mm R(th) 22 K/W

View attachment 7058

SMD-Kühlkörper Fischer Elektronik ICK SMD A 10 (L x B x H) 10 x 6.3 x 4.8 mm R(th) 75 K/W

Only for Fets like here:

View attachment 7059

GPS Shield:

View attachment 7060

USB UART flashing programming AD6 and ESC32 think if i understood correctly:

View attachment 7061

Also going to use the same vibration Gopro mounts that work really well for me in the past ! Noticed that certain certain gel pads mounts what ever, work for certain frequencies and a sandwich is just the best cover most of them and different rpm etc.

Consisting of Green Antivib sheet and Normal gel cubes plus the bobbins from the QAV500:

View attachment 7063View attachment 7062

----------------

For now a futaba SB RX will do later ill give a Ezuhf ppm connect a try !

Attachments

• Autoquad-6-public-beta-Version_b2.jpg
    Autoquad-6-public-beta-Version_b2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 396
  • Autoquad-ESC32_b2.jpg
    Autoquad-ESC32_b2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 364
  • 446211_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
    446211_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 366
  • -1050215.jpg
    -1050215.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 306
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 317
  • Groundplane-for-GPS.jpg
    Groundplane-for-GPS.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 297
  • USB-UART-Adapter.jpg
    USB-UART-Adapter.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 290
  • photomount.jpg
    photomount.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 325
  • photo-2.JPG
    photo-2.JPG
    112.1 KB · Views: 388
  • image1_3196.jpg
    image1_3196.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 286

hjls3

subscribed. I have been holding two kloner450's together and just thinking....hmmmmm. That would be fun. Gonna have to lose the some of the landing gear things on the DJI arms. Look forward to seeing what you come up with Boris.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
The thing I am puzzled about is which X8 configuration to use. AD6 being brand new to it and just skipping eh reading over the wiki allows me to configure and setup with the mixer. Question is what are the pros and cons of these X8 config ?

View attachment 7066View attachment 7065

Can only imagine that the first X8 setup will result in a more complicated motor mixer setup when i want to use different pitched props for the upper and lower props. Since i will have the lower or higher pitch props one or the other yaw direction. Version two seems to be the more equaled out setup ? Anybody any experience on this ?

Never built a X8 before pretty naked on this !

Thanks

Boris

Attachments

• X8Configuration.jpg
    X8Configuration.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 342
  • X8Configuration2.jpg
    X8Configuration2.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 244

meme

Huhu, that will be a really cool project boris, subscribed, can't wait to see how that will fly. I'm slightly worried about the DJI Arms, i hope they will work with the 400W/arm on board.

-meme

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Huhu, that will be a really cool project boris, subscribed, can't wait to see how that will fly. I'mslightly worried about the DJI Arms, i hope they will work with the 400W/arm on board.

-meme

Also worried about that but have it in the back of my head. If necessary carbon sleeve around it of denny carbon nano tubes approach to stiffen them out.

(Edit) or ill just get some made like the QAV500 arms probably less stress or even try to fit those. A little longer arms would be cool anyways would like to try 11"

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
uh lucky found a X8 motor mixing table for the AD6 even from a guy in vienna. Probably the Disco will need some tweaking due to its layout, put a good starting point.

View attachment 7073

Boris

Attachments

• mixer.jpg
    mixer.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 333

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm could work some acrylic tries. Torsion should be stiffened since the slightly glued on acrylic supports at the moment loose contact when i twist the arm. Once bolted together it should work ! Motors plates will keep this thickness since want to work in LEDS.

View attachment 7079

Attachments

• Arm_mod.jpg
    Arm_mod.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 461

jes1111

hmm could work some acrylic tries. Torsion should be stiffened since the slightly glued on acrylic supports at the moment loose contact when i twist the arm. Once bolted together it should work ! Motors plates will keep this thickness since want to work in LEDS.

View attachment 9205

Gluing the sandwich should yield a much stiffer result - with screws there will still be "micro-movement" in torsion. Use a good slow-set epoxy or toughened CA that's known to be compatible with both materials and clean surfaces 100% before applying - clamp with moderate pressure for 24 hours.

Regarding the X8 layout - I have all CW on top, all CCW on bottom - can't comment authoritatively on the redundancy - it hasn't happened to me yet!

:)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Gluing the sandwich should yield a much stiffer result - with screws there will still be "micro-movement" in torsion. Use a good slow-set epoxy or toughened CA that's known to be compatible with both materials and clean surfaces 100% before applying - clamp with moderate pressure for 24 hours.

Regarding the X8 layout - I have all CW on top, all CCW on bottom - can't comment authoritatively on the redundancy - it hasn't happened to me yet!

:)

Thanks ! Having CW on top and CCW on the bottom you are also running different pitched props top bottom ? Or all the same. Thinking if you are running different pitch on them you adjusted that the yaw stays equal in the motors mixer ?

@Kloner Thanks ordered !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm really don't know were and how to attach a landing gear. Don't want to put any stress on the bottom plate having the FC on there the distribution running in it etc. The only thing I can think off it doing it Cinestar style:

View attachment 7113
Attaching them out going onto arms to the DJI arms between the plate were they are the strongest and thickest. But not drilling the dji arms but sandwiching the dji arms with the lading gear with three screws over the arms before the arms and behind the arm already between the plates. If a hard landing only the arms will be stressed eventually also the plates, but with less lever action than with the old dji arms since the feet are all the way at the end of the dji arms, hmmm

Boris

Attachments

• cinestar-6.jpg
    cinestar-6.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 371

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Now I know what i want. Forget the DJI arms gonna get new ones QAV500 style just better for the two motors and a CS8 style landing gear approach to get around the bottom motor props combo.

View attachment 7213

View attachment 7214

Attachments

• Alu-arm.jpg
    Alu-arm.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 316
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 340