Big DJI announcement - Inspire 2?!?!?

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
I see that they are releasing the Lightbridge 2, let's see how that goes, I could end up buying one if it works. Wait, does this come with a remote ? I have no need for a DJI remote... That's weird/stupid if that's the case...

maxwelltub

Ah yes good point on tha camera. As to remote I don't think you can use your own remote with an inspire. I've found the light bridge 1 to be unusable in more then one circumstance, so hopefully the second one is an improvement.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
But they say it's also compatible with S900 but does it have to go through a remote ? Doesn't make sense.... If this one works I'll go for it.

maxwelltub

Well the camera uses light bridge for both control and video, unless something changes with lb2. So you need their remote.

jfro

Aerial Fun
As of right now, my Inspire will stay with the original camera. My gh4 will stay on the x8. My pre-order for the BM Micro camera will stay. A new gimbal for the Micro will happen if I can find one or build one that is very light. x8 can stay as is although BM Micro will look lost on the larger gimbal. My heavy quad will get the lighter gimbal and then maybe a 2nd battery for extended flight times.

I'll miss the HD preview that the Inspire gives us. May have to pony up for a hd systems sometime for my other MR's. Just waiting for them to come down on price.

The big one for me is that the dynamic range of the BMMicro should bring in stunning imagery and the radio control will let me control most of the camera functions of which aperture control and start/stop are the most important. Zooming is not an issue as the MR does that and focus control isn't an issue either, although the BM Micro should give me that. It will get the job done.

I've been in the digital imaging business for 35 years from print, to animation, to video. I'm not concerned about the 2k vs 4k of the BMMicro right now. Some need the 4k. But 99.8% of the people can't tell the difference. I used to sell 10k -$50,000 digital camera systems in the print world. One successful local photographer with a big fortune 500 client, told me that his largest client was very picky on quality, but they understood color space and weren't forcing him to buy a new camera every 2 years chasing the pixel count. Color space, of which he had a great camera for, trumped resolution. He on occasion had to blow stuff up for large format prints of which he successfully did through an elaborate software process. My point is 2k with a wide color gamut will blow people away and from a visual standpoint, 99.8% of the people wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Yes a few techie, pixel counters will. But that's a non issue for many.

I think for myself (and probably many others), sitting out the x5 camera for a while is the smart action. For those of us with large quads, hex's, and x8's, 5d's. gh4's, etc, we probably have better imagery now. We most likely get better imagery, just not with all the bells and whistles of the Inspire/x5 combo. To think DJI is going to get better imagery than Black Magic or Panasonic with less data is silly. They don't have the expertise the other companies do at this point. I doubt this roll out will be any different than the previous 3-4 years of buggy product launches and over promoted features with terrible product support that DJI has exhibited.

I'll also feel less stress with 8 motors and some redundancy on the x8 for a motor, prop, or esc failure with more $$ in the air. I've had one instance where I clipped and broke 1 prop on an older x8 and other than sound, I couldn't tell the difference in the flight characteristics while I flew for another 20-30 seconds before I realized the sound indicated a problems and I should get on the ground asap.

Will miss being on the bleeding edge, won't miss the aggravation of a new product launch form DJI, will have better quality with my other rigs, & will enjoy the $$ saving and score brownie points with my wife for not spending money needlessly.

jfro

Aerial Fun
My understanding is Lightbridge only works with dji fc's and gimbals? Is this still the case with V2?
Did they give a price?

maxwelltub

Can you describe the nature of your Inspire failures. Also I think the lightbridge controllers only work with their gimbals. Because it's video and contol 2.4ghz you don't want to use something not designed to split the bandwidth

jfro

Aerial Fun
Feb purchase.
1. 2nd or 3rd flight, camera quit working. Also, bought 3 extra batteries and 1 came DOA.
2. Dealer sent new camera, while waiting, firmware update to Remote, bricked.
3. Dealer sent complete new unit. Kept original Inspire, and new camera/remote . Thought the original flew better, less RC drop outs.
4. Went to Kauia with 5-6 test flights on working unit of 7-8 minutes each in 30 -40 degree weather.
5. 7th or 8th flight in Kauai, while hovering on take off, camera quit working after about 60 seconds.
6. Unit sent back. At DJI for 6 weeks before they looked at it. Said they replaced FC, all wiring, Camera and connections. Also thought I'd plugged it in while turned on which is not correct.
7. Received repaired unit back 8 weeks after sent in. No camera settings available form the DJI AP. Flew and recorded in auto mode, but tech couldn't get it to work on two different tablets so I could change manual settings. Just wouldn't let you set anything in camera settings.
8. Sent repaired unit back and received a new replacement unit. 2 flights, called tech support and told them the right arm assembly was loose. I offered to fix it myself (have built 5 MR's from scratch) but they wanted it back.
9. Sent back and sent a couple emails to other DJI personnel that weren't in service as forum peeps were of no help. Might have done this when repaired unit came back, ie after step 7.
10. Received replacement / repaired unit back exactly 4 months after I purchased it. Finally works. I've not taken the camera off this one. Too snake bit. Flies as promised.

I don't remember, but either the last or 2nd to last delivery, (after the 2 extra emails to DJI peeps outside of service and the internet) one of the shipments was an overnight, Saturday delivery.

I can't tell you how many times I called service. Lots of 25-34 minute hold times. Twice got cut off although I think one time the service guy may have hung up on me intentionally. While I never lost my temper, on one call I was asking for a refund or talk to a supervisor and wouldn't take no. Line went dead. Another, it went dead as they picked up after one of the longer wait times. Back in the cue.

That's my tale of woe.
Frustrating beyond words.

jfro

Aerial Fun
So you didnt have any in flight airframe failures? All camera issues?

Mostly camera/ electronics. I think it was in the frame wiring or electronics That in turned fried the camera's. But don't really know as they don't give you details.

Then I bricked the radio or remote as they call it during the first firmware update as did many others.

Then the replacement unit had a loose bushing in the T connection on the right side arm. It would have been an easy fix, 5-10 minute repair, but they wouldn't let me do it so another 200-300 dollars in freight (on their dime).

I believe I have version 2 which is a different weave in the CF tubes than original, but I have the original lifting brackets for the arms.

I have been flying lots over water lately, so I'm beginning to trust it. I don't go long distances like many, but I'm over water a bunch. I come in at 50% on battery over water and never fly on a battery that isn't fully charged. Their "smart" batteries are overprices and the dumbest batteries (electronics or code?) I've ever seen.

On my other units, I fly lots of gimbal tests and many times will do 2-3 flights on 1 set of batteries, 4-8 minutes each. For 3 years I've never worried on my 4s and 6s dumb batteries. But the DJI's batteries, caution is the best policy.