• Inspire 2.jpg
    Inspire 2.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 496
  • inspire 24.jpg
    inspire 24.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 477

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
there was an April Fools' post this year about a FLIR Inspire 1 release and I almost posted it a week or so ago by mistake!

your post looks much more legitimate!

do the motors in the photos look like stock Inspire 1 motors or does it look like larger motors for the larger camera gear?

jfro

Aerial Fun
I woke up this morning seeing similar posts in a bunch of Inspire forums.

Some interesting observations pop up.

1. Assuming it's not a Black Magic Micro and assuming it's a close copy but NOT licensed, (from Black Magic ) of the BM camera, this might be the first time a clone of an original, beat the original to market... So wrong I ordered the Micro when it came out and we are still waiting for the first release which was slated for July.

2. I was hesitant to think that the rumored new product would just be a camera. Here's hoping it is and that the Inspire can still get some decent 12-13 minute flight time with a new 4/3rds camera. Here's also hoping they licensed the Black Magic IP if it's a close copy. I'm hoping maybe only a prop change with new camera and gimbal.

3. I have a rather large investment in this hobby with 6 MR's. My Inspire is a love/hate machine, (love the machine, hate the Company's service policies, lack of user serviceable parts availability and turn around time) but it flies superbly and can handle some wind. The HD downlink is a plus. If this camera is similar to the quality of BM or other Panasonic 4/3rd cameras, I've arrived with what I want in a flying aerial platform assuming we will be getting basic remote control over start/stop and fstop control, as well as maybe a few more functions. Fstop and start stop recording is my main wants.

4. If I sold everything, and just had 2 inspires, I'd get a whole lot more flying and filming in. It's so quiet and easy to transport, that it makes it so much easier to go fly on many different levels. It's quieter than the x8 and so much less invasive/loud

So here's the conundrum. If this is a BM Micro clone and it works as we anticipate and we get decent flying time out of the Inspire without major $$ in upgrade costs, this is a HOME RUN by DJI. If, and it appears they maybe doing this, they are shortening their service time from 6+ weeks at their service center to a few days, this will be by far and away a GREAT aerial platform/system. For me to say this when I hate buying something where I have to buy EVERYTHING from the manufacture and pay high prices for batteries and go through months of bugs that ground the MR or add undo stress to flying situations, is way out of my normal thought process. The thing is a joy to fly and it's so easy to transport and charge batteries. I carry 4 batteries and 4 chargers when I go flying. Can take it in my small car. So the problem is, a company I'd rather not do business with has what I considered the best flying experience by far and if it is a new camera that gives us gh4 quality, it's all I'm going to want. Buy a 2nd for back up and sell the other 6. Got lots of money left over not to mention space in the workshop. Spend more time flying and less times building/ fixing.

All these if's will be answered in the next few months starting at 8pm tonight.

SamaraMedia

I recall the DJI 4/3 alliance with Olympus and Panasonic so I found this on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Multicopte..._maker_dji_joins_olympus_panasonic_in_micro/?

Then, is you go to the Olympus site you can see the similarity of the SpyShots of the Inspire2 camera and the Olympus Air - http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/air-a01.html

I've held off on buying an Inspire1 because I wanted to see what the next generation would bring, could be very interesting if they enter this market and can offer 4k, the Air1 doesn't offer that - only 1080p, but DJI could ask for a 4k camera for this application.

Now to wait and see what develops and at what price...

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have a new prediction. Just saw a used Inspire for 1999 at a large retailer . They gave it a 8.5 rating on used scale, which means it's in good shape. They have been going for $2300 to $2500. I'm now guessing, and it's a guess that.
1. They will drop the original Inspire price to around $230 to $2500.
2. The new inspire with a 4/3 camera & lens will be around $3300-$3400 with 1 controller
3. Upgrade to new cam/gimbal of maybe $1,000-$1200 for existing Inspires.

If it's a new camera only, this is my prediction. If the above is somewhat on track, the new camera may require bigger props if it still uses existing Inspire. In the above scenario, don't be surprised if the price for the new Inspire with camera is even less than I predicted. They have shown a willingness to go low like they did in the first year with the Ronan. They want to own the market and my guess, is they are selling a lot of drones and making a lots of profits and can go lower in price. If they improve their service time and make parts available, they are going to be hard to stop. Maybe they become Apple Computer of Drones.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
I have an Inspire as a spare rig. It's also a love/hate affair with this little bugger. Love the HD downlink, am not quite fond of its handling in windy situations, it seems easily overwhelmed, and have seen some jello. The image is unbearably sharp even toned down, so much that one client (a major TV network) now refuses any Inspire 1 footage.
If this new release addresses that, then I might go for it...

jfro

Aerial Fun
One other reason for a lower price is if a new camera/ gimbal adds too much to the cost of the Inspire, they may meet some resistance to a high price Quad with no redundancy. Too much $$ in the air for a quad. Once the camera and gimbal get above a certain point, most experienced pilots will want a small x8 or hex with a chance of saving their craft if a motor, prop, or esc goes out. Just thinking out loud here.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
I can list much more things that come before an engine failure flying an hex or an octo.... A quad, on a major production set, is merely a backup...

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
The reality is for 95% of us "working" guys, a M4/3 inspire would be plenty. If you are in the camp that has to fly Red's or follow focuses or ?? then congrats, that is awesome. But for most of in not 95% of what I do, I would be happy as a clam with an Inspire with a M4/3 cam.

Also the portability, easy and quickness to get airborne... and even if it's $4000 the cost is amazing.

(PS: and again I hated DJI until the P3, so all this makes me sick to say)

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
Yes I am in that camp, and I am very fortunate, all the hard work paid off. And yes, for the price it is unbeatable. I've pulled some quite amazing footage out of the Inspire, and it has been very quick to get the best out of it. I hate DJI too, with passion, but to be honest, my first S900 served me well before ending up in pile of shredded carbon, and my second one has been nothing short of amazing, in a very harsh environment.
It's now time to move up, and the Freefly Alta is next because yes, as much as the GH4 is an incredible camera, able to rub shoulders with the biggest, lack of iris and focus control is becoming problematic for me. I'm in the Colombian Caribbean where we have harsh light and almost vertical sun, iris control is a must have. I've been able to make without up until now but I've been clearly told that various productions companies were willing to pay a premium to put a RED in the air. The S900 will then become my spare rig, having paid itself over and over in about 2 months....

jfro

Aerial Fun
For sure it's not a perfect solution. #1, I'm a hobbyist who wants good video. I have too many cameras and every camera I have is better than the Inspire camera. What I have found is there are many times when I grab the Inspire and jump in my little Toyota and go fly as opposed to packing the x8 and loading up my van with more support stuff and charging stuff to go fly with my larger and better cameras. I give up a bit of image quality for the ease of going flying. One man band so it's all me and it's just easier & quicker with the Inspire.

As to wind, I don't have to fly when it's real windy, but for a quad, the Inspire handles way better than any of my other quads, even the one that is heavier. It's usable in moderate winds.

My love/hate affair is from the fact I do really enjoy flying the Inspire.

I bought it for a trip to Kauai, which was a much needed 2 week vacation, and it failed on the 3rd day of flying after having replaced a camera and remote after purchasing it about 3 weeks before the trip. Dealer and I spend some UPS money getting things fixed. Also a dead battery (1 of 4) had to be replaced. It just came dead. After the failure on vacation, I sent it back to DJI and after 8 weeks received a repaired unit (lots of new electronics and camera), only to not be able to shoot in any mode other than auto. Another shipment back and some angry emails to other DJI employees resulted in a overnight shipment with Saturday delivery of a new unit. Pretty much a 4 month ordeal to get a working unit.

Having bricked a remote during an upgrade and all the camera problems, I have only taken the camera off once since June 1 and only done 1 of 3 upgrades. I'm now 2 behind and going to have to give it a try. Just snake bitten from the service. Don't want to get in that line again. I have 3 other flight ready MR's and 2 more in parts that could be flight ready soon, so it shouldn't be that big a deal, but it is

I'm anticipating the new camera, gimbal, and most likely a bigger prop setup. Afraid of the flight time hit & cost to upgrade, so will be interesting to see what they announce tonight. Wishing. predicting and reality don't always reconcile. Hope we aren't hoping for too much...

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Yes I am in that camp, and I am very fortunate, all the hard work paid off. And yes, for the price it is unbeatable. I've pulled some quite amazing footage out of the Inspire, and it has been very quick to get the best out of it. I hate DJI too, with passion, but to be honest, my first S900 served me well before ending up in pile of shredded carbon, and my second one has been nothing short of amazing, in a very harsh environment.
It's now time to move up, and the Freefly Alta is next because yes, as much as the GH4 is an incredible camera, able to rub shoulders with the biggest, lack of iris and focus control is becoming problematic for me. I'm in the Colombian Caribbean where we have harsh light and almost vertical sun, iris control is a must have. I've been able to make without up until now but I've been clearly told that various productions companies were willing to pay a premium to put a RED in the air. The S900 will then become my spare rig, having paid itself over and over in about 2 months....

Matt, when you take the plunge and start on your next rig, please share the process with us. Choosing the higher end and more complicated systems for specific cameras can be technologically challenging and it's that end of the spectrum that we try to expose at every opportunity. We'd love to see the process as you're going through it.

Thanks!
Bart

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

Yep, if and when I have those clients calling I'll be looking at an Alta or a new Hexacrafter and upgrading one of my M5's to an M10 or an H16.... so again, I know it's not the end all be all, but if you are in the market for a "GH/A7" type rig, it may be hard to beat!

jfro

Aerial Fun

Seems like you have options. I like my gh3 and gh4, but I agree, no exposure control while flying is a deal breaker sometimes. I thought of putting a servo with a wheel and use a variable ND filter, but just too much work. I have the Black Magic Micro on order and that has RC control over many camera functions. Put it in the air with a ND filter and set stop around 11 and will have room to close or open the aperture when flying. But, no 4k.

From the little I've read, I'd love the Alta too, but a hex with m5 isn't a big robust Red Epic rig from what some are saying. If I had a bunch of clients wanting the Epic footage and willing to pay for it, then I'd look at the Movi 10 and a good strong x8.

But for us hobbyists, we will just have to wait and see what the Inspire update is going to be.....

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
but a hex with m5 isn't a big robust Red Epic rig from what some are saying.

Dude Alta with an M10 with Epic or Arri Mini all day long! You see that footage? Heck I think they recently flew a weapon with an Alta!

View attachment 26141

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.30.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-10 at 12.30.32 PM.png
    364.4 KB · Views: 510

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
Matt, when you take the plunge and start on your next rig, please share the process with us. Choosing the higher end and more complicated systems for specific cameras can be technologically challenging and it's that end of the spectrum that we try to expose at every opportunity. We'd love to see the process as you're going through it.

Thanks!
Bart
Bart, thanks for your kind words. I will definitely keep you posted. Funny thing, I've just been contacted for an upcoming project here in Colombia with two A-list US actors. I'm seeing my bank next week and will put the order in. The only thing is that the M10 will not fly on the upper side of the Alta, so we'll go with a M15 and add a Tero to it.
And yes jfro, the lack of iris control has been complicated on this last shooting and clearly showed the limits of the GH4. There's also one thing in that I don't get to chose when I fly, I fly when I'm being told, according to a shooting schedule, so it's pretty important to be very thorough in preprod as to what can be done and most importantly what CAN'T be done.

jfro

Aerial Fun
Dude Alta with an M10 with Epic or Arri Mini all day long! You see that footage? Heck I think they recently flew a weapon with an Alta!

View attachment 26141

I don't have one never seen one, but I thought I read on one of the forums with someone who has one saying in the freefly/ alta/movi/red configurations, there was a limit on how far you could go. I don't remember if is was for safety or just straight lifting capacity. I do remember the post having something about lens, so maybe it was just with some large cine lens. Brain cells aren't good enough to remember specifics, just that there was a limit. Maybe it wasn't' even a red, but some other cine camera. Mainly remember thread was about upper limits and potential new Freefly octo of some type for the real big stuff.

Anyway, sorry for the mis-information.

BogotaMatt

Big Kahuna @ AirLulo
Yeah I've heard that, but you are well within weight with an Epic and a relatively light cine glass such as the new Leica Summicron-C serie for instance. I'm still studying this thing and I still have a few questions in the air, but the demand is here for us.

SamaraMedia

So it looks like a new integrated 4/3 camera and gimbal - Zenmuse X5 and X5R! An interchangeable setup that works with existing Inspire 1. After watching video, camera control of aperture, shutter, focus from app or remote control, 4k raw video, 12.8 stops of dynamic range, 16 mp photos, boat load of features. Looks like built in Lightbridge, looks awesome! No price listed that I can find.

Last edited by a moderator: