Need Help! Best drone for skiing

Okay guys heres the deal. I'm looking to rent a drone off Fat Lama, people are renting out a variety of drones. Theres the Mavric Pro, the phantom 4, the inspire 1 v2 and a few of the parrot drones. I've used the phantom 4 before, its epic. But i've never used it skiing. Are any of these drones able to follow you, so when I'm skiing down the slopes I want to able to ski down and have the drone film me from behind as its chasing me down the mountain. Can any of them do this? Any thoughts would be awesome. Only using it for a week in Feb hence i'm not buying. Any recommendations would be awesome.

Cheers, Ben.

Jason S

both mavic and phantom 4 have the follow me mode but i have never tried or seen it done.

Are you taking it backcountry? most ski resorts wont let you fly without permission you know that right?

Yeah mostly backcountry, as I have now heard that most ski resorts ban drones. With the release of the of the inspire 2, according to the advert they can follow cars and vechiles. They must be able to follow skiiers - but does it differ for slope vs flat plane?

Not sure how it would work going downhill. Probably just fine. The mavik has a follow mode where it can follow a hiker uphill and compensate for rising terrain. It's likely downhill isn't a problem.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have both the Inspire and Mavic. I would suggest it's too early. The Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic are the leaders in this castegory right now. But, read the forums and check youtube. I saw more than a few video's of guys skiing and on mountain bikes trying to make it work It does to some extent but conditions have to be perfect. You need good light and contrast around you and that's pretty much impossible right now unless your going slow or in a controlled environment.

fpvince

For sure the mavic. Being a snowboarder myself, its super important that the drone is small and light. You're going to have much better luck getting the mavic where you want to go and it has all the follow features you're looking for.

Yeah thanks all for the feedback been watching a lot of videos. Mavic seems to be the favorite but recommends wearing bright clothing for obvious reasons. As you say, not easy - not always perfect conditions. I think i'll take the mavic for this trip, what are plans looking like in the future? saw the inspire 2, it looks beasty

Bruno89

I'm not sure on what to use either. The mavics best feature is still portability.
I only used a phantom 4 but not on the mountains. I also had some issues with the lighting because of the bright snow reflections. I'm thinking about trying out the ND8 Filter. Does anyone have experience with it?

jeebs9

Check out the staaker drone. I've only seen good things about the tracking.

Here is the trailer

And here is the footage from the drone in one shot.

I love that is able to predict the subjects movement. Makes for some really nice footage. Best thing is controlling from a wrist band.

I'm a proud user of the Mavic. It's probably the best choice right now.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQwBbmDhsOa/ (my first video)

There are some cons though, t0 the staaker drone.

1.Price tag is hardcore at 1500 and that's without buying a go pro. Which could be really 2,000.
2.No avoidance technology.
3.It's not out yet.

Last edited:

jeebs9

For goodness sake jeebs9 was getting so exited! Will keep an eye out when its launched!!
Me too lol. But I'm loving my Mavic as of now though. Especially for a beginner like me. I really enjoy this thing.

87cd736b2279879983f45fd6a35db44f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Okay, so I rented the mavic a couple of days ago just for a day to try it out. The active track on it (not 100% what its called) but the feature that allows it to circle you while you are running/standing still is marvellous! It honestly can do some ridiculous things. I was naive and thought the quality would be inferior. The quality is fantastic. So portable. Ticks all the boxes really.