Beginner Seeking Advice [Aerial Film/Photo]

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Awesome, I think the deans connector is included on the battery. So I'm almost done piecing all of the other parts together. Would everyone say there is enough wiring already in the kit for someone who has never soldered, or if I need extra wiring/harness/connectors? Not sure if I'll be clipping and re-soldering, or if it's not that bad.

Got a call yesterday my f550 kit was shipped but the Naza v2 wasn't in stock (my luck again), so I opted for a refund and got another GPS shipped same day. Back on track lol. Taranis sold out at the website I was looking at, so I'm searching for another source preferably in US or with decent shipping rates if overseas.

Almost there!

Its always good to have some extra connectors. If you're going Deans, order a few female and male. Same with bullet connectors - which will most likely be 3.5mm. Good to have some silicone wire (12,14,18 gauge). And some heat shrink to fit your wire size. 60/40 solder. Trying to think of what else I try to have on hand....

Check the f550 kit description and see what it includes. Getting a few extras if for peace of mind for if/when something goes wrong, you won't have to wait a week for a shipment of something small.

PCMAerial

Its always good to have some extra connectors. If you're going Deans, order a few female and male. Same with bullet connectors - which will most likely be 3.5mm. Good to have some silicone wire (12,14,18 gauge). And some heat shrink to fit your wire size. 60/40 solder. Trying to think of what else I try to have on hand....

Check the f550 kit description and see what it includes. Getting a few extras if for peace of mind for if/when something goes wrong, you won't have to wait a week for a shipment of something small.

Just ordered the following battery and extra components:

RMRC 3300mAh 4s LiPo 35C
4 3.5mm bullet connectors
multiple heat shrink tubing sections
12ga red & black wire

Looking at this charger, but I can't figure out if it will connect to my battery or not?

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/T6755-SkyRc-Charger-AC-DC-input-professional-bala-p/rrht100055.htm

chipwich

Looking at this charger, but I can't figure out if it will connect to my battery or not?

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/T6755-SkyRc-Charger-AC-DC-input-professional-bala-p/rrht100055.htm

You know nothing John Snow. That SkyRC won't even charge your 3300 pack at 1C. You have some reading to do. Executive summary: the Thunder AC610C should be about your minimum investment. Pull up a chair, crack open your favorite beverage and be edumacated...

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-chargers.html

PCMAerial

You know nothing John Snow. That SkyRC won't even charge your 3300 pack at 1C. You have some reading to do. Executive summary: the Thunder AC610C should be about your minimum investment. Pull up a chair, crack open your favorite beverage and be edumacated...

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-battery-chargers.html

And this is why I would be nowhere without these forums! Thank you!

So after reading, it seems as if this charger would properly get the job done instead:

http://www.buddyrc.com/icharger-106b.html
But I can't tell if it needs the power supply also?

And if not, these here(Second recommended by chipwich):

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Dynamite-Passport-UltraForce-200W-AC-DC-Charger-p/dyn4105.htm
http://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Power-610C-ACDC-Lithium-100-240V/dp/B003TPHCMC

Thanks for the lookout!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast

So after reading, it seems as if this charger would properly get the job done instead:

http://www.redrockethobbies.com/Dynamite-Passport-UltraForce-200W-AC-DC-Charger-p/dyn4105.htm

Thanks for the lookout!

I think the iCharger needs an external power supply. If you are looking to go real cheap, I am about to sell a Turnigy Accucel 6 with a wall outlet power supply. I've used it for a few months and it worked fine - but I just got a more powerful charger/supply. It charges your exact battery in about 40-60 minutes.

Take a look on the hobby king site and see what you think. If interested, shoot me a PM.

chipwich

Thanks for the lookout!

No problem. Yes, iChargers need external power supplies. You can order them new from a very respected dealer like progressivrc.com, or buy converted server power supplies off of ebay. Example. The Amazon Thunder Power one that you link would also be a good choice, and make a great backup charger when you upgrade. I use a similar one in my home office so that I can charge while working on other projects.

PCMAerial

Scott does that charger provide everything needed from purchase to connect to my battery?

I don't want to skimp on a charger, yet also have blown the budget already. Glad this site helped or I would have purchased the useless $25 charger not knowing.

I'm not too concerned with the fastest charge times since I'll only be doing quick flights and then changing location. So that seems great for around 60min charge time

Something that gets the job done for less than $50 would be ideal right now for my budget

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It has everything you need - but I'd have to see if I have a Deans I could solder onto the charge harness - so that you wouldn't need to do that yourself. Currently it's XT-60. It consists of the charge unit and a power supply I had to buy separate - but unlike the ones you see on BuddyRC (like I have now), you don't need a trailer to haul it around :). The power supply is just a small "wall-wart" sorta thing - like you'd have for an external hard drive.

PCMAerial

It has everything you need - but I'd have to see if I have a Deans I could solder onto the charge harness - so that you wouldn't need to do that yourself. Currently it's XT-60. It consists of the charge unit and a power supply I had to buy separate - but unlike the ones you see on BuddyRC (like I have now), you don't need a trailer to haul it around :). The power supply is just a small "wall-wart" sorta thing - like you'd have for an external hard drive.

PM me what you would take for it as I have no idea what they go for used? I'm Such a n00b! Lol

f550 came in today, no battery until tomorrow.

I'm Sitting down to look at things, while watching the f550 ARF build video...

Giant mind block...

Wondering should I have ordered a separate deans connector to solder to my PDB? Or does the battery connect that comes with my battery make this possible? I know I may not know what I'm talking about, only going off of video reference here:

https://vimeo.com/39061641

Saw he adds a dean connector to some wiring and solders to the PDB. Should I make one of these also? Order something? Or do I already have these components just not know what I'm doing?

Thanks guys! Putting this together this weekend

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Did the kit come with some type of black/red wire with a Deans on it? I thought that someone posted here that it did. The battery will have the connector on it. It states it on the product page.

Its always good to have extras of every connector.

Ill look up up a price and send you a PM.

PCMAerial

The DJI kit came with two small sections of red/black wire, no deans connectors though. I'll have to research them more and see if I need another.

Guessing my battery has a female or male deans connector. and I need to purchase a corresponding male or female deans to solder to my PDB. I think. Haha!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The DJI kit came with two small sections of red/black wire, no deans connectors though. I'll have to research them more and see if I need another.

Guessing my battery has a female or male deans connector. and I need to purchase a corresponding male or female deans to solder to my PDB. I think. Haha!

Since you're going to be buying connectors - you may want to think about switching to XT-60 connectors. You'll have to change it on your battery - but you might as well jump in and learn. Plenty of videos explaining how to swap the battery connector.

Last edited by a moderator:

PCMAerial

Since you're going to be buying connectors - you may want to think about switching to XT-60 connectors. You'll have to change it on your battery - but you might as well jump in and learn. Plenty of videos explaining how to swap the battery connector.

So I should go the XT-60 route instead of the deans completely?

Forgot I have a JST Male Connector with 4" leads on the way as an extra part. Would that help me at all getting this battery connected?

Only want to assure proper attachment from PDB to battery, and vice versa. I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it out to be. Just trying to grasp everything here

chipwich

Forgot I have a JST Male Connector with 4" leads on the way as an extra part. Would that help me at all getting this battery connected?

Only want to assure proper attachment from PDB to battery, and vice versa. I'm sure it's easier than I'm making it out to be. Just trying to grasp everything here

XT-60s seem to be what most are using these days for the 2000-4000 size packs, especially DJI, who use them on their Phantom line. They offer a secure spark free connection and are relatively easy to solder. My only complaint is that the can be hard to disconnect and hard to solder when using 10 guage wire and larger. I really like EC5s for 10 to 8 guage wire, especially the EZ Solder ones from ProgressiveRC. Those JSTs you order are not for batteries, but for connect things like FPV gear, LEDs, and gimbals. BTW for a $50 charger, the Thunder (not thunder power) AC680 is hard to beat.

PCMAerial

Lucked out and the FrSky Taranis & X8R came back in stock via (Aloft Hobbies) So I just placed that order. Yes!!! So close, but so far from flying!!

Budget is about maxed out, but I'm still without a charger or extra props. Definitely not confident in the feel of these stock DJI props. And of course no gimbal yet until I can get a few more checks saved. (Build so far hit my max)

My gear so far:
-DJI 550
-30A ESC's
-2212 Motors
-Naza V2 w/GPS
-RMRC 3300mAh 4s LiPo
-FrSky Taranis & X8R

----

SO this connection from PDB to battery is all I need to finalize or wrap my brain around. My f550 kit came with NO connectors. Only a bit of extra wire. My battery is coming with a DEANS connector. I need to either order MORE deans or XT-60 connectors to attach this battery to my rig's PDB correct? Do I stay with this deans, or change it?

Honestly want to get everything rolling as simple(ish) as possible. But also effectively. Hoping to buy a charger from motopreserve, and the connector for my RIG to battery and be ready to solder together and fly this thing!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast

i think chipwich was right earlier when he mentioned you are going to want to do some reading up on batteries. Or should I say, read some more! :) They can explode - so you don't want to skip knowing all you can on this subject.

The JST connector is a separate part. If it's the white type with 5-6 wires, it's for the balance lead that will connect to the charger to make sure the battery charges equally for all cells.

The reason I suggest XT-60 is that I was told early on "friends don't let friends fly with Deans. Obviously PLENTY of people have been happy with them. But when I just de-soldered one for you to possibly put on the charger - for the first time I saw 'under the hood' and realized that they don't offer the same type of stress relief as XT-60, which can help prevent cold solder joints and possible power issues. For a new-to-soldering person like yourself, I think the "spoons" on the XT-60 will be easier to get a good solder onto.

Just my personal opinion of course.

EDIT: my post crossed with Chipwich. I agree the larger gauge can be a bit of a bear - but it's pretty perfect for 12. They are tough to pull apart for sure - but a hair of silicone spray on your finger and a wipe of the male side (plastic part of course) helps a bunch.

They can can still spark. I'm really thinking of moving to the Anderson Poole connectors. I have a set and they seem great. Crimp style so no solder. No spark and solid as hell. I now need to order enough to make the full swap for all the batteries.

Hey chip: will that thunder power at higher rates that the Turnigy? If so, go for that one. If not, might as well save the money. Whatever you do - make sure whatever you buy next cones from a place that sells connectors! :)

PCMAerial

i think chipwich was right earlier when he mentioned you are going to want to do some reading up on batteries. Or should I say, read some more! :) They can explode - so you don't want to skip knowing all you can on this subject.

The JST connector is a separate part. If it's the white type with 5-6 wires, it's for the balance lead that will connect to the charger to make sure the battery charges equally for all cells.

The reason I suggest XT-60 is that I was told early on "friends don't let friends fly with Deans. Obviously PLENTY of people have been happy with them. But when I just de-soldered one for you to possibly put on the charger - for the first time I saw 'under the hood' and realized that they don't offer the same type of stress relief as XT-60, which can help prevent cold solder joints and possible power issues. For a new-to-soldering person like yourself, I think the "spoons" on the XT-60 will be easier to get a good solder onto.

Just my personal opinion of course.

EDIT: my post crossed with Chipwich. I agree the larger gauge can be a bit of a bear - but it's pretty perfect for 12. They are tough to pull apart for sure - but a hair of silicone spray on your finger and a wipe of the male side (plastic part of course) helps a bunch.

They can can still spark. I'm really thinking of moving to the Anderson Poole connectors. I have a set and they seem great. Crimp style so no solder. No spark and solid as hell. I now need to order enough to make the full swap for all the batteries.

Hey chip: will that thunder power at higher rates that the Turnigy? If so, go for that one. If not, might as well save the money. Whatever you do - make sure whatever you buy next cones from a place that sells connectors! :)

Yes i will keep reading as it seems these last few assembly steps are the only parts I need to really figure out. I've read, and re-read the info chipwhich posted about batteries. Somewhat understanding voltage, wattage, amps, etc and chargers...

Now it's the connections. The XT-60 connectors seem to be useful for me. So now I'm going to need to figure out how to remove the DEANS from my battery, and connect the XT-60. I already ordered my connectors, bullet connectors, etc. I ordered Positive/Negative 12ga wire. BUT I'll just place another order as the prices are cheap for these parts. I just want to get the right components on these last few bits of connectors.

Would my battery require the male or female xt-60? And this would make my battery compatible with your charger now

[Side note: My battery is still in the mail. Not sitting in my hands, so this may also contribute to my confusion.]

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
XT-60 will work with my charger.

If you're going to order connectors - order a few (or more) of each male and female. They are always good to have. And while you're at it - I thought I remembered you mentioned you ordered only 4 bullets. The kit may be presoldered but keep in mind that for a full setup you need 5 bullets per ESC (3 if hard-soldered to the PDB) and 3 per motor. So make sure all your ESCs and motors have bullets already.

chipwich

Now it's the connections. The XT-60 connectors seem to be useful for me. So now I'm going to need to figure out how to remove the DEANS from my battery, and connect the XT-60. I already ordered my connectors, bullet connectors, etc. I ordered Positive/Negative 12ga wire. BUT I'll just place another order as the prices are cheap for these parts. I just want to get the right components on these last few bits of connectors.

Would my battery require the male or female xt-60? And this would make my battery compatible with your charger now

Deans are not too hard to de-solder once you carefully remove the heat shrink, but if you can't get enough heat transfer to remove the old solder, you can just snip the wire off as near the Deans as possible. You'll feel like you'll need three hands, but you need to de-solder or clip and solder to the new connector one wire at a time. You don't want to clip both wires at the same time because you will create a short across your wire clippers. Again, always work with one wire at a time. You can leave a wire without a connector, but please put heat shrink on it to prevent an accidental shorting of your battery.

Google lipo battery with XT60 connector to see which gender connector goes on the battery.

Speaking of third hands, this is by far my favorite. The Jigs Up Yeah! More stuff to buy!

I find it useful to buy connectors in bunches of 10 or 20, so that I don't get too upset when I bugger one up, AKA melting one. I've used these and they are fine.

Your charger will most likely come with a balance connector that will support multiple pack sizes, but as you've determined, you will need a charging wire for the type connector used, like this one. ProgressiveRC is the cream of the crop for everything charger/connector/battery related. Their prices reflect it as well, but when I want to make sure things work, I go there. They answer their telephone and take returns without hassle. BuddyRC is very good too.

There are a ton of really good soldering demos on YouTube. I really like this one. Although a bit long winded, he tends to have a very practical approach to all things RC. Watch more than one to build everyone's take on things, then pick your path.

One procedure that I missed along the way, that ended up costing me a $70 battery and a parallel balance board is to always connect your main power lead first to a charging cable, then connect the balance connector. I was two years into the hobby and distracted one day, connected a 3S balance to a 4S port not at the ground side, and you will not believe how fast the battery / balance connector / my hand melted :)

All this will becomes second nature after a short while, so don't worry if it is a lot to absorb.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
^^^ All good advice. The idea of having to wait on a connector is infuriating. Make sure you order plenty. They aren't that expensive to justify having to wait and pay shipping on such a small item. Also, stocking up on silicone wre when you find a good deal is good practice too. Again, this is all so you have it when you need it. I have a toolbox with XT-60, bullets, wire of various gauges, nylon standoffs, small hardware, extra balance leads (always good for extending while charging) etc. Much easier to reach for the box instead of having to order from afar.

The other thing is start saving for more batteries. You will want them when you start to have a good time, and then realize that you are done because you have no more packs...

Both the Turnigy and my new iCharger came with the charging wire like Chip linked above - but you have to put your connectors on it to match what you're using if that's not how they shipped stock. Mine has XT-60.