Auckland crash and other footage

nemorov

Does anyone have a copy of the Auckland city centre crash video? I'm doing a presentation next week on Multirotor safety and would like to use this video as a sobering reminder of how not to do it and the potential consequences. It seems to have been removed or privatised on Youtube but I'm sure someone out there must have copied it.
Any other suggestions of serious safety videos would be welcome.
Thanks.

Efliernz

Pete
There is pending legal action over this by the Police.
I presume that is why it has gone. Good luck finding a copy... but someone here must have one ;)

Pete

nicwilke

WOW, never saw that one! Lipo fire and everything, was that a motor failure, what happened? I thought a flat octo would be able to handle a motor down but thats what this looks like.
I think this accident was blown out of proportion. Yes, they made some mistakes with protocol etc, but lets face it, were all realatively new to this. Its clear there was a system failure, its unfair for anyone other than the operator to comment, hence why 'most' videos are gone.

maxwelltub

Well.... I dont think this is being blown out of proportion. Especially my specific comment on this thread, but it is true I think this was monumentally dangerous and stupid move. And although I might be somewhat new to AP, im not new to the hobby and most people who are familiar with the hobby should see that warning signs in the fist 60 seconds of this video. Mistakes happen sure, but I'm not even going to bother going through the long list of things that could have been avoided in this potentially dangerous situation because its all been said already. Nor will I go through the list of how this is very close to being way worse. "Some mistakes with protocol etc," Kind of an understatement in this particular case. I think most of all people are "blowing this out of proportion" because this whole industry has an unclear future that hangs on future legislation. There is a new person every day on one forum or another who wants to fly a 5D asap. Its only a matter of time until someone does get really hurt, or burns down property and then the whole industry goes up in smoke. So when you see someone do this its a reminder of the thin ice we are skating on. Good article on the matter. http://www.suasnews.com/2012/10/19348/multirotor-hits-skyscraper-and-burns-downtown-auckland-nz/

nicwilke

Max,
I do agree with you. I'm merely mentioning that we all have our take on what went on. Poor operator, blown ESC's, GPS failure, whatever.
GPS hold... tall buildings? C'mon, the guys have over $10,000 of gear there, do you think they didnt know about no GPS? If they were poor pilots, why would they lift a DSLR on that rig? All I am saying is I'd love to hear what actually happened as we're all making assumptions.
Personally, I'd not fly over traffic, I'd not fly over people, I'd not have hit that window as I would have taken a less aggressive approach and flight path. I would have signs up about aerial operations in progress and have spotters. Yes, they were reckless, yes legislation will come. I would like to see all non-licensed multirotors operators limited to model aero fields because team black sheep are breeding copy cats, and its only a matter of time before an idiot brings down a real aircraft, or someone does something sinister with explosives. Lets learn from their mistakes.

nemorov

Thanks nicwilke I have a copy of the video now. I'm not planning on being judgemental with this video just showing a group of potential users what can happen in the real world and the potential consequences.
A video I would be judgemental about is the one I have seen on here somewhere of a guy flying a multi in the flightpath of a major airport... I've been searching for it again on this site but cant find the thread it was in. Can anyone remember? I've tried all sorts of keywords in the search but no luck. Thanks.

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
Sent you a pm with a link to the video I think you mean.

It doesn`t need reposting in the current climate.

Efliernz

Pete
According to a semi-reliable source...

A nylon-tie was too tight on one boom and shorted out the power... hence the smoke on take-off. We suspect the lack of control wasn't due to motor struggling or poor piloting but the FC not getting it's full supply of electrons.

As for the actual flight. It was a demo to a prospective purchaser.
Why he didn't:
a) Choose a park
b) Not hover for 5 seconds to ensure everything was stable before climbing
... is beyond it for me. A very poor choice... but considering he had previously published video flying low over the crowd in a stadium at night during the 1/2-time break at an international football (soccer) match in the dark - he has always had a distorted view on risk management.

The site is surrounded by the tallest apartment biulding in Auckland where gps (for aircraft nav) would be dubious anyway.

Pete

nicwilke

According to a semi-reliable source...

A nylon-tie was too tight on one boom and shorted out the power... hence the smoke on take-off. We suspect the lack of control wasn't due to motor struggling or poor piloting but the FC not getting it's full supply of electrons.

As for the actual flight. It was a demo to a prospective purchaser.
Why he didn't:
a) Choose a park
b) Not hover for 5 seconds to ensure everything was stable before climbing
... is beyond it for me. A very poor choice... but considering he had previously published video flying low over the crowd in a stadium at night during the 1/2-time break at an international football (soccer) match in the dark - he has always had a distorted view on risk management.

The site is surrounded by the tallest apartment biulding in Auckland where gps (for aircraft nav) would be dubious anyway.

Pete

Well, I can both sympathize and criticize them if thats true. I agree pete, hover for 5 or so seconds. I will always do a small hover when I lift off, even if Im hot swapping my batteries (one at a time to keep the FC live and my Skyline running off BEC's). If he was showcasing the rig for sales, then they need to be tied up, whipped and then thrown off a plank to sharks. The sympathy comes with the actual short of electrics. I had a faulty power cable to the flight controller that lead to a crash (um... in a park, with no one around, thats the difference eh?).
Pre route hovering is good, it makes me trust theres everything in order, I do a little wobble to test the stabilizer on the gimbal, and when I'm happy, I'll fly off. Seems these guys really are cowboys, just taking off so aggressively.