Anyone install the GPS on anything other than the included mast?

mmurfitt

Hey,
I had a crash a week ago, nothing too major thankfully, but the GPS mast got snapped and try as I might I couldn't find it.
So I'm faced with the following dilema: Do I try and buy the spare parts (the mast and the top plate which the GPS sits on) or do I situate the GPS elsewhere?

I read another thread where the guy had the GPS on one of the arms, but I have the ESC's cable-tied to the arms, wouldn't there be interference??

guy1a

me and my friends we do it like that since day one ...

Attachments

• naza.jpg
    naza.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 488

flitelab

I've had mine flat on the frame as well. It really comes down to individual setups and if you have a spot that is clear of any interference. Really a trial and error type thing as no 2 setups are usually the same. main thing is to keep it so it has a clear view above and to the sides so you can get a good signal, and try and keep it away from other electrical items.

took a cheapo BIC Pen.. removed the ink, and some pen, you just have to trim the first few inch off the tip where the ink comes out...

Perfect fit around the original mounting.View attachment 6992View attachment 6993

Attachments

• 2012-10-11 23.33.07.jpg
    2012-10-11 23.33.07.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 272
  • 2012-10-11 23.33.49.jpg
    2012-10-11 23.33.49.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 432
Last edited by a moderator:

mmurfitt

Thanks for the reply guys, I'm very relieved the GPS doesn't HAVE to rely on the mast, love the BIC pen solution BTW, very cool :)

@Droider - Thanks for the offer, one of the problems I have is when the mast snapped off the little aluminium plate which sticks on the top which the GPS sticks on to also got lost...! I have to ask though, how come you've got loads of them? Are they something you've put together yourself, or you got a contact on the inside of DJI?? ;)

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
The bic pen mast is very cool. I like simple easy solutions.

For the gps mount we have used round servo wheels.

I should really order a bunch of the mast kits. I'll make sure to do so next week.

xnavyguy

I cut my mast down almost 3/4's of the way because with the landing gear it was too tall to close the case I got for it. I changed the settings in the Naza software and recalibrated it....works perfectly.

mmurfitt

This is great, I've mounted mine on an arm but not configured it yet as I'm having a few issues setting up my DX8's three position switch.

asifjahmed

I didn't want to use the dji provided mast either. Apparently it is to prevent interference due to RFI.. so I just made a small enclosure and lined it with copper tape to shield out RFI:

photo1-11.jpg

photo2-11.jpg

photo3-9.jpg

photo4-7.jpg

photo5-5.jpg