Aluminum arms for dji flamewheel frames

boba7523

Thanks for the replies, guys.
Funny how some of these stores never come up when Googling.

Perfect!

With the OEM arms, I never really liked the idea of blind nuts pressed into plastic for this reason:

Image source

And if a big enough crash with the Aimdroix ally arms shifts the weakest point to either upper/lower board, at 23 bucks for a set, it's no huge $$ loss.

The thing is, if the plastic arm breaks, you just unmount motor and wires. But if PCB breaks, you have to remove ALL that equipment.

I was going to jump the gun on these extended arms until Jay posted his crash vid and said the PCB broke...

Now i'm debating whether I should get these or the plastic extended arms.... It'll be my first quad and for sure I'm going to crash..

Now i'm debating whether I should get these or the plastic extended arms.... It'll be my first quad and for sure I'm going to crash..
Same here.
I reckon it might be best to get the standard plastic arms to practice with.
Build up some stick time, and then (if they ever become available again - sick of waiting for them now!), you can always retro fit the Aimdroix arms later.

This is despite me designing a build where the sweet spot is 13" props and 780kV MN3110 T-Motors.
:-(

Last edited by a moderator:

boba7523

By the way, if I get these arms, I'd just buy the top and bottom DJI plates, which I don't think comes with any mounting hardware.

What hardware would I have to buy to mount these extended legs onto the DJI PCB?

I love my hex with the extended AIMDROIX arms, but I would definitely recommend using the cheapie plastic arms for your first multirotor.

Even if you intend to do the vast majority of your flying in GPS and attitude mode, you should still learn to fly in Manual mode in case of emergency...and you *WILL* crash your craft while learning to fly in manual mode. So...learn with the cheapie arms, then upgrade later.

The only hardware that you'd need in order to mount the extended legs are the M2.5x6 screws (six per arm, same as are used for the standard dji plastic arms).

You'd also need M3 screws in order to mount your motor to the extended arms. Note that the M3x8 screws that are used to mount motors to the plastic arms are probably too long to be used with the aluminum arms...I would suggest finding M3x6 screws instead.

boba7523

I love my hex with the extended AIMDROIX arms, but I would definitely recommend using the cheapie plastic arms for your first multirotor.

Even if you intend to do the vast majority of your flying in GPS and attitude mode, you should still learn to fly in Manual mode in case of emergency...and you *WILL* crash your craft while learning to fly in manual mode. So...learn with the cheapie arms, then upgrade later.

The only hardware that you'd need in order to mount the extended legs are the M2.5x6 screws (six per arm, same as are used for the standard dji plastic arms).

You'd also need M3 screws in order to mount your motor to the extended arms. Note that the M3x8 screws that are used to mount motors to the plastic arms are probably too long to be used with the aluminum arms...I would suggest finding M3x6 screws instead.

Good stuff Jareth!

Do you know where I can buy extended plastic arms? I want to swing larger props. Thanks!

I've never used them, but these don't look bad:
http://www.rctimer.com/product_845.html

(although, you may want to go with the smaller props and 'normal' arms while learning. When I think back to my early learning period, I can think of only one crash hard enough to damage an arm. I did, however, go through quite a few props...)

boba7523

I've never used them, but these don't look bad:
http://www.rctimer.com/product_845.html

(although, you may want to go with the smaller props and 'normal' arms while learning. When I think back to my early learning period, I can think of only one crash hard enough to damage an arm. I did, however, go through quite a few props...)

Is there really a significant difference flying with plastic arm vs. the aluminum? For example, stability, etc?

I haven't used the extended plastic arms, so I can't compare those against the extended aluminum arms. As for the aluminum arms vs. the 'stock' arms...there is some difference in video quality using the same gimbal for aerial video work. It's not a 'night and day' difference...just a minor, occasional reduction in vibration or arm-flex caused jello. If you balance your motors and props well on the plastic arms, the difference won't be very significant. Also, my hex now seems to handle better in heavy wind...but since I'm using different motors/props with the extended arms, that could have other causes.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the AIMDROIX arms for my aerial video hex...but I still use stock plastic arms on my 'fun'/practice quad

boba7523

I haven't used the extended plastic arms, so I can't compare those against the extended aluminum arms. As for the aluminum arms vs. the 'stock' arms...there is some difference in video quality using the same gimbal for aerial video work. It's not a 'night and day' difference...just a minor, occasional reduction in vibration or arm-flex caused jello. If you balance your motors and props well on the plastic arms, the difference won't be very significant. Also, my hex now seems to handle better in heavy wind...but since I'm using different motors/props with the extended arms, that could have other causes.

All in all, I am quite satisfied with the AIMDROIX arms for my aerial video hex...but I still use stock plastic arms on my 'fun'/practice quad

Thanks! I'll use the extended plastics for now and see what kind of video quality that brings me :)

boba7523

Wow this thread is dead!

Question: With the motor mounting holes being elongated instead of a round hole in these extended arms, wouldn't that make the screw vibrate once it's screwed in?

View attachment 18781

Also, I have Sunnysky v3508 380kv motors with motor mounting holes 16mm and 25mm. Would they fit on these extended arms? Reason i'm considering these arms again is because the motor mounting pattern on the RCTimer 800 arms don't match the motors :(
4.jpg

Attachments

• d5310315711ac01dcf8a62b5fcf18697.image.750x473.JPG
    d5310315711ac01dcf8a62b5fcf18697.image.750x473.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 293

No, the elongated screw-mounting slots do not cause the screws to vibrate.

And yes, those mounting holes will work just fine on the AIMDROIX aluminum extended arms. I'm using Sunnysky 3508 motors with mine, they work wonderfully.

Dewster

View attachment 18791View attachment 18789View attachment 18789
Im in the same boat.. I break arms all the time and prefer it that way. What i DO like is the coax motor mount. Would that coax motor mount work with the regular arms and just hack away the plastic landing bits?

I did it by hacking the landing stubs off of the plastic arms. I used a dremel sander to smooth out the stubs and spare carbon fiber discs to provide a platform to mount the coaxial motors. It was a brain twister. A little careful drilling allowed me to use the supplied motor mounts to attach them to the arms (a few arms lost due to testing). Even after a hard low voltage battery crash the motor's held in place.

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_1650.jpg
    IMG_1650.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_1651.jpg
    IMG_1651.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 304

boba7523

Hi Jareth,

I think the DJI F450 frame kit comes with M2.5x5 instead of M2.5x6 like you said. Would it still work for attaching the Aimdroix arms?

I'm going to use SS V3508 motors as well. Are M3x6 screws the size you used to mount your SS motor to the extended arm?

boba7523

Thanks. Totally off topic question but what props are you using with the SS motor? I'm planning on using the APC Slo Flyers.

Wondering if they will fit nicely or if I have to buy prop adapters

I'm using 12" wood HQ Props with Sunnysky 3508-KV700 motors. Sorry, I don't have any APC Slo-Flyers around the house to compare measurements. Good luck!

Mojave

Are there any photos of AIMDROIX Coaxial Builds out there?

Is there anyone that has made a coaxial set-up with an X8 or XY8 configuration using AIMDROIX arms? I would like to see photos, build specifications, landing gear, or anything that you have. I have seen some very nice photos of coaxial builds early on in the thread but they were not of AIMDROIX coaxial builds.

Thanks a lot

maxwelltub

I had a coax set up but it was a real pain in the ***. If you are using the stock motors maybe it's not as bad, but mine were slightly larger and you really had to fight to get that coax setup to work. Would not recommend unless you are using stock dji motors.