Aerodrive 8 vs Herkules II what's better for a DJI

I am still waiting to hear back from Mr. Andreas Baier an explanation on this matter, and how they will procceed and offer replacements boards.

Well, they seem to be doing the silent treatment as far as support for the Herkules II boards go.
I requested direcly some more info about why the boards were failing under the claimed amperage and if an upgrade path was offered to the customers that bought one, and I get no responce.

Vortex

That's pushing the Aero Board beyond the limit but it didn't burn up....Not on that flight but the air temp seemed quite cold too!!! I noticed they have an all up weight of 10.5kgs not payload

Vortex

https://vimeo.com/34295014

Im flying with aerodrive + MK for 2 months, i pushed board to 250 amps with 10kg payload and the board was not even hot.

That is only 31.2 amps per motor. It seems like a very low amp draw for such a big machine and load.

My airframe with 4 batteries and gimbal already weighs 8.0kgs so if I were to carry a 10kg payload that's put it at over 18kgs.

What is your all up weight with the 10kg payload??

Lanzar

That is only 31.2 amps per motor. It seems like a very low amp draw for such a big machine and load.

My airframe with 4 batteries and gimbal already weighs 8.0kgs so if I were to carry a 10kg payload that's put it at over 18kgs.

What is your all up weight with the 10kg payload??

SJ8 with 2x 5s 8000 weights around 9kg.
Othervise max lift was 6x 1.5l of water + canon d600 camera so the whole rig was 19+20kg. Dont ask flighttime cause u will get it in seconds hahahaha. Othervise was a funy experiment.

Vortex

SJ8 with 2x 5s 8000 weights around 9kg.
Othervise max lift was 6x 1.5l of water + canon d600 camera so the whole rig was 19+20kg. Dont ask flighttime cause u will get it in seconds hahahaha. Othervise was a funy experiment.
Hi Lanzar, That's what I am expecting too......9 kgs sounds about right. I am running 4 x 3S 8400 packs to give me 6S to liven the AXI 4120/20 motors up.....5S will not cut the mustard!!

Lanzar

Yea but 6s is possible on herkules only but the current is way more than allowed so u can burn herkules and the skyjib becomes earhtbrick :) We did test on aerodrive bard. Yea 5s on 4120/20 is a nogo. U need more rpm/v so 6s is a must. Or u go for 4120/?? for more prm/v. Then 5s is good.

Vortex

Yea but 6s is possible on herkules only but the current is way more than allowed so u can burn herkules and the skyjib becomes earhtbrick :) We did test on aerodrive bard. Yea 5s on 4120/20 is a nogo. U need more rpm/v so 6s is a must. Or u go for 4120/?? for more prm/v. Then 5s is good.
YES....I know that which is why I am waiting for the High Current Herc Board which is being designed to work with big motors such as the 4120/20 on a big Okto. The problem with the Aero board is most applications are running in excess of the maximum rated amperage of 35A Cont and 45A @ 30 secs with a max of 5S.

I don't think I will be risking a $50K camera plus Kopter with the Aero board knowing I will be overloading it.......

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Vortex aren't you being a little to strict with you calculation. I totally agree with the approach that ideal your ESC solution should hold the max A even burst etc. The question is if you will ever reach these areas considering that you are aiming at a hovering platform with the skyjib were picking up great speeds or giving it a fast fall and catching it again, should not be considered from beginning on when you plan your flights ! Especially if you are aiming at 10 KG total etc.

Like the viennese guys i think hovering arround 10,5 kg with 70 80 A seems reasonable. Check 1:56 min when they give it a push reaching 120 plus A

But if you want to stick to the Axis I understand !

Boris

Last edited by a moderator:

Vortex

Vortex aren't you being a little to strict with you calculation. I totally agree with the approach that ideal your ESC solution should hold the max A even burst etc. The question is if you will ever reach these areas considering that you are aiming at a hovering platform with the skyjib were picking up great speeds or giving it a fast fall and catching it again, should not be considered from beginning on when you plan your flights ! Especially if you are aiming at 10 KG total etc.

Like the viennese guys i think hovering arround 10,5 kg with 70 80 A seems reasonable. Check 1:56 min when they give it a push reaching 120 plus A

But if you want to stick to the Axis I understand !

Boris

Hey Boris,

My MR is already 8kgs and it's not finished so I am looking at a flying weight of somewhere around 9kg unloaded and 18-20kg loaded. That's why I went for the SkyJib

I have always worked on having a safety margin specially for a "Commercial" unit carrying very expensive equipment in "Unfriendly" territory so reliability is a major requirement.

The math is fairly simple and what would the makers of the Aeroboard or any other board, which is clearly overloaded, say after it burns up and crashes. I'd like to think my insurance would cover it but knowing they are always looking for a way out, I am sure this would leave the door wide open.

This is just the way I see it.......

Regards,

Lance

Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hum think its going to be a rough one to get people motivated to start something off like this and than in combo with open source.

ESC32 is coming from OP and some other guys was reading a thread in RCgroups are also starting dont know how serious.

But one good news for WKM users if it dosent have to be a complete board castle creations is finally picking up on the ESC multirotor demand.

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-phoenix.html

MultiRotor: New Multi-rotor vehicle type changes throttle response to allow for faster throttle response. Throttle processing has been completely rewritten to prevent aliasing of the throttle while limiting motor output throttle change rate.

more options are going to pop up.

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
hum think its going to be a rough one to get people motivated to start something off like this and than in combo with open source.

ESC32 is coming from OP and some other guys was reading a thread in RCgroups are also starting dont know how serious.

But one good news for WKM users if it dosent have to be a complete board castle creations is finally picking up on the ESC multirotor demand.

http://www.castlecreations.com/downloads/frh-phoenix.html

MultiRotor: New Multi-rotor vehicle type changes throttle response to allow for faster throttle response. Throttle processing has been completely rewritten to prevent aliasing of the throttle while limiting motor output throttle change rate.

more options are going to pop up.

Boris

Nice to see that someone is starting to look at doing it right for multirotors but at $80 to $100 per ESC I won't be running out to buy a set of 6 for the CineStar!

Ken