WMK Cinestar 6 & 8 builds

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am aware that the announced builds by RT Ryder and others of the WMK / Cinestar series of MR are generating a lot of interest.

Rtryders build thread has been hijacked slightly by the enthusiasm of the members wanting more info and lots has been given by lots of people including RTryder BUT I thought I would start this thread so Rtryders build thread is just that.. His build thread..

So

Start posting info and aqsking questions in here..

Dave

GGoodrum

I'm thinking that if I can find suitable ESCs and motors with a bit lower kV, I'd like to try an 8s setup on a CS6. If you double the voltage the current is halved, for the same number of watts. Less current is always a good thing, in my opinion. For one thing, heat losses go up as a square function of the current, so less current means less heat losses so you get an efficiency bump. The problem is that I haven't seen any of the more popular ESCs that are known to play nice with the WK-M MC that works on 8S. Same thing with motors. I haven't found one in this 35-38mm diameter size class that have a kV lower than about 700. It'll probably take a special wind.

Anyway, my quest begins... :)

-- Gary

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
and those are the guys behind the QCs torx etc etc. If you order 500 pieces :) you can choose your configuration :)

GGoodrum

Interesting. I'm afraid, though, that the ESC is going to be the limiting factor, for now. It is a lot harder to get somebody to redesign an ESC in the 40-60A range to run at a higher voltage. It took three years of pestering CC before they finally did the 50V HV series. :) It's too bad that the CC ESCs won't work with the WK-M, because then I'd use the 40A ICE2 HV and get motors wound for 10s! :frog: Anyway, I think 6s is probably going to be the limit, for now.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
if you are really interested in that talk to www.andreasbaier.de his the father of the Herkules II ESCs and I think he mentioned when i was visiting him that he wants to go higher with the voltage than 6s.

Andrypascal

google translation

Hello GGoodrum, I wonder if you're happy with your motor hyperion zs2213-22?
Are they silent?
The attachment of the helix clamp not yours right?
The shaft 6 mm beyond the guide well propeller? This in not vibrate?
cordially
pascal
in france

GGoodrum

google translation

Hello GGoodrum, I wonder if you're happy with your motor hyperion zs2213-22?
Are they silent?
The attachment of the helix clamp not yours right?
The shaft 6 mm beyond the guide well propeller? This in not vibrate?
cordially
pascal
in france

Hi Pascal --

Those Hyperion motors are on my VC-600-X8, and I'm quite happy with them. They have quality bearings and magnets, and are quite efficient. Right now I'm using them with APC 12x3.8 on top and APC 11x4.7 on the bottom motors. This setup weighs a little over 3kG, with two 4s3300 packs and the motors stay fairly cool.

View attachment 1517

I'm just starting a new CineStar 6 build today, though, and I'm still looking for motors and ESCs. I'd love to stick with Hyperions, maybe a Zs-3014 or a Zs-3020, but the lowest kV they have for those is over 900. To run on 6s, I need something in the 600-700 range, I think, but these are very hard to find.

-- Gary

Attachments

• VC-600-X8-18.jpg
    VC-600-X8-18.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 336

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
one of you playing arround with the QCs in Ecalc yet what values are you guys giving them ?

Thanks

Boris

GGoodrum

I'm finally making progress on my CineStar 6 build. I can't go too far without the motors, but they were shipped today. Basically, they are the same as the QC 3328, with a kV around 700, I think. I also have six HobbyWing 40A Platinum ESCs on there way, so I'm hoping to get them by Wednesday as well. I'm going to start out running a pair of 5s-5000 packs, and see how it does. Initial props will be Graupner 11x5s. Initially, for a mount, I will use one of Andrey Kim's (AskmanAP...) old two-axis CF mounts, modified with a 2:1 belt drive in each axis. Eventually, I'm hoping to upgrade this setup to the CineStar gimbal, but for now, this will have to suffice. I think it will be okay because I plan to use a pair of high-speed, high-resolution Hitec servos and run them on 7.4V, so it should be fairy responsive. The belt drive will smooth out the operation.

Since I can't really swing another WK-M setup right now, I'm going to move the one that is on my X8 over here, and then put something else on the X8. I have a new-in-package XA setup, including the active GPS and compass, that I've had since June. I think what I'll try is just leaving the GPS and compass off until they finally get around to fixing the fatal flaws in the GPS/compass functions. (I stopped holding my breath long ago... :upset: ). I can live without the position hold function, on this platform, but I'll really miss the altitude hold feature, though. Anyway, it seems to have a decent gimbal output implementation, so I can try it with my GoPro mount. I may later switch to the Naza, because it still has altitude hold and the camera outputs.

Anyway I'm taking CS 6 pics as I go, and I'll post them here later on.

-- Gary

GGoodrum

I made some progress today, on my new CineStar 6 setup. I still need to do some sort of platform to carry the WK-M widgets. This is setup for mk electronics, normally, so I will need to do like Ken did, and use a center section from something else as a platform. I have several center sections from the Hoverthings/VC-550 frameset, and they look to be about the right size.

I also need to figure out and fabricate some sort of power ring/harness., for the ESC leads. After I get that done, I can do the final assembly and transfer the WK-M setup over to this platform, from my X8.

I did finally figure out how to attach my new mount that I cobbled together from no less than four different mounts that Andrey Kim did for me awhile back. I also converted this to be belt-driven, in each axis, with a 2:1 reduction. The servos are a new pair of Hitec HS-7666HB hi-speed/hires (12-bit) digitals that just came today. Anyway, I found a small G10 plate that had the right holes already in the right places in order to attach the triangular camera plate from the CineStar kit. This piece bolts up to the patented isolation adapters which are attached to the lower center frame.

Tomorrow, I hope to have this all buttoned up. :) I'll post some more pics then.

-- Gary

Attachments

• CS 6 Mount-01.jpg
    CS 6 Mount-01.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 326
  • CS 6 Mount-02.jpg
    CS 6 Mount-02.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 346

GGoodrum

Attached are some pics of my CineStar 6 build. I still have a bit to go, but hopefully, I'll have it flying by the weekend (assuming I can stay off of RCGroups' DJI thread... man what a frustrating experience this whole gimbal issue has turned into... :black_eyed: ). Anyway, I still need to figure out a scheme for a suitable electronics platform, and then I also need to fabricate some sort of power harness. Everything else is pretty straightforward. I'm not exactly sure about the landing gear. They are actually quite solid, especially when the ends are bolted together, but I may use some spacers, to spread them out slightly, and stick on a couple of Nerf balls. :)

The last shot shows the reative size, next to my 600-size X8.

-- Gary

Attachments

• CineStar 6-01.jpg
    CineStar 6-01.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 429
  • CineStar 6-02.jpg
    CineStar 6-02.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 379
  • CineStar 6-03.jpg
    CineStar 6-03.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 374
Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

It's going very well GGoodrum!

One question about vibration dampening brackets: Did you install them? I'm curious where do they fit into the frame.. ( I figured it out by checking the manual of Cinestar :) Very nice idea.. )

Last edited by a moderator:

GGoodrum

It's going very well GGoodrum!

One question about vibration dampening brackets: Did you install them? I'm curious where do they fit into the frame.. ( I figured it out by checking the manual of Cinestar :) Very nice idea.. )

Thanks. :)

I agree with Ken, the CineStar's vibration dampener scheme is the real "secret sauce" of this design. I think Tabb has a patent on it. Anyway, it works really well. :)

-- Gary