A2 with DJI D-Bus adapter or Futaba S-BUS adapter?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi All,

Kicking around my need for connectivity to the new A2 build and wondering if there's a better choice of the two available short of using pure Futaba SBUS equipment

There's the DJI D-BUS adapter, 8 channels and $229!!
http://aerialmediapros.com/store/a2...2-dbus-adapter-dji-flight-control-futaba.html

Then there's the Futaba S-BUS adapter, 10 channels and $59
http://www.espritmodel.com/futaba-s-bus-sbe-1-pwm-adapter-encoder.aspx

or am i reading the utility of these two products all wrong?

Thanks,
Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
why wouldn't you just hook it up pwm once you already have all the wires coming out of the rx? sounds to me like an additional failure point

Bartman

why wouldn't you just hook it up pwm once you already have all the wires coming out of the rx? sounds to me like an additional failure point

i'm not sure i'm getting what you're saying. ppm from where?

kloner

Aerial DP
not ppm, pwm as in each wire from you rx that would goto the sbuss adapter can just plugin to a2 pwm style (8 servo wires form rx to fc) DJI calls it traditional mode

the main advantage to sbuss/dbuss is the ability to send more than 8 channels into it.... and being one wire, none the less to just convert is to sbuss in adapter seems to me like an additional failure point

the same way you hook up a hoverfly board

Last edited by a moderator:

econfly

The short answer is (a) just bind to the A2 with the radio, or (b) connect the Futaba receiver to the radio via a single S.Bus/DBUS cable.

Then the question is how to handle gimbal control and gear. The A2 has four outputs for other channel assignment, so one can be programmed for gear and three can go to the gimbal. That completes the job unless you want telemetry or to fully use available channels for additional gimbal control. If so, my plan below is one way to go.

I have an A2 build in process and am planning on using a 7008sb receiver (so I can get telemetry on the radio), with that receiver connected to the A2 via S.Bus (DBUS). I will run the gear out of the A2. For the Zenmuse (one-man setup) I am planning on running the Futaba receiver in D mode (that gets me channels 9-12 out of the receiver on ports 1-4). Then I'll use a Futaba SBD-1 decoder to get channels 13 and 14 out (I also need the Futaba PC interface tool to program the SBD-1). All-in, that should get me 5-6 channels for Zenmuse control and 8 channels dedicated to the A2 and gear. I am waiting on the SBD-1 to try all of this, so this is just a plan at this point.

Quinton

The short answer is (a) just bind to the A2 with the radio, or (b) connect the Futaba receiver to the radio via a single S.Bus/DBUS cable.

What exactly is it you want to do?
Econfly basically summed it up what is required, its a very simple setup, and nothing is really required, unless you want to do something completely different.
If you want telemetry back to your transmitter a 14sg then you will be wanting to add the R7008SB receiver to the A2 (by plugging in a single cable via s-bus which can control all your channels), if you do not want telemetry then you do not need a receiver, just connect directly to the A2s built in channels.

Bartman

...........unless you want to do something completely different.........

yes and no, at the moment i need to do test flights so i might just put my DSM2 satellites into the A2 but I might also want to do a traditional receiver at some point.

@kloner, i didn't realize the A2 could take discreet channel inputs. i was going to hook it up to the computer tonight to do firmware updates and configuration stuff so i guess i would have stumbled across it at some point.

thanks for the help all,
bart

Bartman

i'm actually working back towards Hoverfly with a stop in DJI land for a little while.

kloner

Aerial DP
i never knew that.... they are doing some weird stuff with this thing. Can't wait to get it off my rig...... Come on synapse

Carry on, good luck with it all.....

econfly

I'm pretty sure it can't. That's what the D-Bus adaptor is for. See page 10 of the A2 manual

Yes, good point, and I may have not answered the right question in my earlier post.

If you want to connect to an A2 with a Futaba radio directly (bind to the A2) or with a Futaba receiver (over S.Bus/DBUS) then you don't need anything else. But, if you want to use a receiver that doesn't communicate over DBUS (or a radio that can't bind to the A2) then you need an adapter to get those discreet inputs into a single DBUS connection. Unlike the NAZA or WKM the A2 does not allow separate connections for rudder, throttle, etc. There may be some other solution for Spektrum (or other radio) users, but I don't have any experience with that.

Bartman

Yes, good point, and I may have not answered the right question in my earlier post.

If you want to connect to an A2 with a Futaba radio directly (bind to the A2) or with a Futaba receiver (over S.Bus/DBUS) then you don't need anything else. But, if you want to use a receiver that doesn't communicate over DBUS (or a radio that can't bind to the A2) then you need an adapter to get those discreet inputs into a single DBUS connection. Unlike the NAZA or WKM the A2 does not allow separate connections for rudder, throttle, etc. There may be some other solution for Spektrum (or other radio) users, but I don't have any experience with that.

OK, so back to my original question....is the DJI D-BUS any more reliable or sanitary to use than the Futaba D-BUS adapter?

I didn't think the A2 could take discreet channel inputs but didn't want to be rude about it! Looked at it last night and thought WTF am I missing? :)

econfly

OK, so back to my original question....is the DJI D-BUS any more reliable or sanitary to use than the Futaba D-BUS adapter?

I didn't think the A2 could take discreet channel inputs but didn't want to be rude about it! Looked at it last night and thought WTF am I missing? :)

I've been using S.BUS for everything for a while now and just didn't even register the issue... :)

So, this is just speculation (no experience with either option), but from reading the specs of both I can't see why the DJI adapter would be any better. If I were doing it, I would go with the Futaba adapter.

Bartman

I've been using S.BUS for everything for a while now and just didn't even register the issue... :)

So, this is just speculation (no experience with either option), but from reading the specs of both I can't see why the DJI adapter would be any better. If I were doing it, I would go with the Futaba adapter.

i'm leaning that way and so will probably order one tonight although i was going to use a Taranis on it but that's in limbo being that I'm caught up in a delivery problem with Hobbyking. I've been kicking around the idea of a new Futaba radio but I've already got a bunch of extras I have to sell. Maybe I"ll list them tonight. (Futaba T8J-New, Hitec Aurora 9 like new with 2 Rx's, JR9503 DSM2 used but still in great shape, and eventually a Taranis with three X8R receivers...if anyone's interested :) )

thanks
bart

kloner

Aerial DP
All over these forums when i've seen this controller hooked up to anything but the internal rx it has issues. when i bought the a2 had to purchase a 8fg to run it since that was the trend. as of a couple months ago there website said they only supported the internal rx, did that change? said didn't support spektrum, some other stuff.....

Bartman

i hear ya steve and i'm inclined to agree which is why i'm considering a new Futaba radio. a few people have reported success with the S-BUS adapter so I might give that a try first. $650 for another radio might get me thrown out of the house!

Bartman

i actually have a brand new T8J that I bought for the ImmersionRC EXUHF that I sold not long after buying it. maybe I'll try that for now, i'm pretty sure the receiver has SBUS

Bart

fdproductions

FD Productions
@Kloner, you've had issues with A2 internal rx? my understanding was this was a futaba based receiver and after extensive test flights I can to the conclusion my aircraft flys significantly better and more responsive just running transmission with the internal RX inside the A2, but very recently I had a flyaway with my A2 and 14SG.

my questions

what kind of issues did you run into when just running your rigs with A2 only and no RX

had you ever range tested your set-ups? *i can fly ridiculous far with just running the A2 RX versus my 7008SB

when using the futaba 7008 Rx does the A2 still use its existing antennas? In which case, is there are way to disable this in the A2 assistant somehow?