Baltimore

Ronan

Just moved to Annapolis, but we service Maryland, DC, etc.

There's a few flyers around that i have seen, mostly sub 500mm quad's (phantom, F500ish), nothing like the 800 and 900 we have for work. Would be interesting to have a meet up, especially to have like-minded folks to chat with.

Usually around here most people ask how high do my drones fly, so it's hard to have a conversation with them, except for the usual information feeding session to educate the general populous.

It's hard to fly here, plenty of low flying helicopter's and planes (including fighter jets). A lot of the single engine private planes are in the 300 feet altitude range, right above residential housing... insane. Maybe the FAA should be more concern about those than our big bad 'drones'...:dread: Luckily where i work is a no-fly zone, except for our stuff. No chance of commercial, military or private planes/helicopters getting in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

Big change from the small towns in upstate NY I'm from! LOL! I work in Annapolis at Micro Performance so if you ever need computer work stop by. :)

I lived 10 years in NY, 25 mins from NYC in Eastchester haha

I used to do IT work a certain number of years ago, so i kinda do my own computer work but thanks :)

FlyGirl

I lived 10 years in NY, 25 mins from NYC in Eastchester haha

I used to do IT work a certain number of years ago, so i kinda do my own computer work but thanks :)

Jeez.... You probably think our traffic is a breeze. LOL!

jeff7457

Clueless but hopeful
Mr. Potter i see that... ;)

Pretty close from being famous Jeff. Ever thought of changing your name to Harry? haha :highly_amused:

Hahaha! Not! Heard them all. I would not mind the money that has been made with that name.

filmfly

Hi everyone, so is there interest in doing a meetup or fly-in sometime soon? I might be down that way in the next week or so - it would be great to meet you all.

FlyGirl

Hi everyone, so is there interest in doing a meetup or fly-in sometime soon? I might be down that way in the next week or so - it would be great to meet you all.

I'm up for it! I know Jeff is probably too and there are several others that Jeff and I fly with.... :)

Ronan

What is it with helicopters and single engine planes flying SO LOW in Annapolis? Isn't this illegal?

Today i'm in my garden flying my Phantom 2, i'm about 150 feet in the air when this police helicopter shoots by at high speed, right above our private residential area. I pulled the Phantom 2 down just in time. He WOULD have hit it... 150 feet in the air... what the HECK is he doing there + passing by so quickly. Every bone in me could feel the turbines and i could hear the windows nearby shake from it!!!

Completely INSANE. Same with those retarded single engine pilots that are flying at 200-300 feet...

This can't be legal... the minimum this can't be safe...

Wish i had a video of this lunatic, but my camera was only in live mode and not recording!

He was MUCH lower than this guy, and flew by very quickly:
61479-full.jpg

FlyGirl

What is it with helicopters and single engine planes flying SO LOW in Annapolis? Isn't this illegal?

Today i'm in my garden flying my Phantom 2, i'm about 150 feet in the air when this police helicopter shoots by at high speed, right above our private residential area. I pulled the Phantom 2 down just in time. He WOULD have hit it... 150 feet in the air... what the HECK is he doing there + passing by so quickly. Every bone in me could feel the turbines and i could hear the windows nearby shake from it!!!

Completely INSANE. Same with those retarded single engine pilots that are flying at 200-300 feet...

This can't be legal... the minimum this can't be safe...

Wish i had a video of this lunatic, but my camera was only in live mode and not recording!

He was MUCH lower than this guy, and flew by very quickly:

Are you over by Lee Airport in Edgewater? That's one of the problems... Then there is Freeway Airport down 50 so anybody taking off from there and heading to the eastern shore or the bay is going to fly out over Annapolis. Then ya got all the military helicopters... Throw in the police and news choppers as well as KBWI's TCA plus the approach for runways 33L and 28 at BWI it gets pretty damn crowded. :( Some of those police helis like the MD State Police really are far too low... I've never found a really good place around Annapolis to fly and have been flying at a local middle school near me in Glen Burnie. Technically it is within BWI's TCA but just barely and the approaches to those two runways aren't close. Since it is near the TCA we don't get much low flying aircraft traffic too. There are a few AMA club fields around us with one being very very close to BWI. I'm sure that is one of the ones the FAA wants to eliminate. It's a mess Ronan....

Ronan

Are you over by Lee Airport in Edgewater? That's one of the problems... Then there is Freeway Airport down 50 so anybody taking off from there and heading to the eastern shore or the bay is going to fly out over Annapolis. Then ya got all the military helicopters... Throw in the police and news choppers as well as KBWI's TCA plus the approach for runways 33L and 28 at BWI it gets pretty damn crowded. :( Some of those police helis like the MD State Police really are far too low... I've never found a really good place around Annapolis to fly and have been flying at a local middle school near me in Glen Burnie. Technically it is within BWI's TCA but just barely and the approaches to those two runways aren't close. Since it is near the TCA we don't get much low flying aircraft traffic too. There are a few AMA club fields around us with one being very very close to BWI. I'm sure that is one of the ones the FAA wants to eliminate. It's a mess Ronan....

I'm over at Watergate Village (10 minute walk to downtown, 2 minutes by car). So cross the bridge from downtown and i'm right there. DJI no-fly zone show's nothing in my area. I have seen the air force/navy new drone buzz around a few time's (it's home port is somewhere in Lusby i believe), but AFAIK there's no airport in/near Annapolis.

Map, green dot is where i am:
2d9pvds.jpg

Ronan

Ah yes Lee Airport, i'v seen it a few times. Lots of small single engine airplanes.

They really shouldn't be flying this low over residential area's... it's quite dangerous. What can i do about this? I REALLY don't want to be THAT guy that hits a helicopter/airplane because the idiots think it's fun to fly under 400 feet over houses...