A2 FC Firmware 2.3 - Here We ALL go Again

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So just committed more time of my life beta testing A2 firmware 2.3

Cararpu says its working good for him on a F550. Would be nice to see some pics and video.

I have just upgraded ALL and all that has upgraded is the FC, everything else has stayed the same.

Is that just me or is that correct?

Just waiting for GPS lock and Ill be back

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So first flight of 8 mins and it held rock solid.

BUT Trim induced Yaws made it drift like it went to ATTI.

I have just tested it in my back yard so need to go to a BIG field and put it through its paces.

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
So flies good, aggressive gps hold but other wise fine. BUT on two flights I lost satellite and had to fight it back, power down and power up again! Al the time this was going on Speedy Gonzalas was hovering his WKM with full satellite lock. Now beginning to think this GSP puck is iffy as well.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Ill try and get some video of the 550 this weekend if I get a chance- I'll rag the living heck out of it.

rilot

I've got my S800 EVO on 2.3 and it's solid. Very happy with it.
You are correct that the update is just the FC for this one.

It really does sound like your GPS puck is faulty. When I flew last weekend I had a solid 12 sats for 4 flights. More than my crappy Phantom 2 could pick up anyway.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ill try and get some video of the 550 this weekend if I get a chance- I'll rag the living heck out of it.

Believe me I ragged the hell out of the DW Y6 this is on and yes its rock solid, 1m of the deck full throttle and hard banked turns, full sticks and it stays put very solid BUT my issues

1. My GPS LOSS
2. angle of attack in GPS and ATTI. There is no way this is going to reach the speeds my WKM Y6 can achieve.
3. Climb rate. Same esc's, same motors, less weight and its a mile away from the identical machine with WKM.
4. Really SAVAGE GPS grab

Ill give it this though its rock steady in everything, WHEN it behaves. For commercial video work it could be the dogs jobber, very smooth and I love the altitude hold at really low level, something I have never been able to achieve with out my heart in my mouth with the WKM.

Todays test flight where a quick run down to the field with virtually copter and packs. I tried to video the GPS lock one handed while trying to keep the copter from running away..my iPhone failed to grab it but I was fighting the copter AND the bloody phone.

Speedy Gonzalas thought he was recording video on his GoPro but was shooting stills.... mmmm checklist rule!

Tomorrow is anther day..

Dave

gtranquilla

RadioActive
My new A2 on my new Cinestar 8 - 1100 working very well so far..... 2nd flight.

Last edited by a moderator:

soler

Not sure if you still on but thought I would give you a try.

As we are relatively close in terms of distance do you want to try swapping over you gps puck with mine to finally bottom out the problems with your A2?

Let me know, I could do this weekend once I get back from my travels. PM me

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I've got my S800 EVO on 2.3 and it's solid. Very happy with it.
You are correct that the update is just the FC for this one.

It really does sound like your GPS puck is faulty. When I flew last weekend I had a solid 12 sats for 4 flights. More than my crappy Phantom 2 could pick up anyway.

I am coming to that conclusion. BUT I have sent one off already to Build Your Own Drones back in March and still have not received one back as a replacement. Numerous phone calls, texts emails and support page requests NOTHING.

My biggest bloody grip is since last september I have been going on about this but I have had no real response from the dealer, DJI forum support, DJI Europe, to DJI China. DJI china did respond a couple of time promising to sort it and suggested bog standard and obvious amateurish suggestions to my issues but when I sent them the videos of just what was happening they disappeared. I read somewhere BladeStrike stopped supporting this site because of me. He has now posted videos of the light bridge working and is posting how.. Great. I fly professionally, I have to build safety cases, I have to comply with the CAA air navigation order and my own conscience. I have to fly safe. I use WKM on 5.20FC and it just works great, solid, and most importantly safe as far as safe can be categorised.

As far as I am concerned the A2 aint safe, Lightbridge is probably illegal in the UK and will almost certainly not comply with OFCOM regulations. I aint bothered about the LightBridge, its interesting but its of not for commercial applications in the UK. The 500m/400ft rule will apply if not get stricter, so in the uk save your money don't bother. with it. There are other options for HD downlinking.

I have reported my findings of the A2 as objectively as possible with frustration born out of lack of support and the obvious frustrations that brings, especially when I look at all the time I have invested in trying to sort it out..

Actions I have taken

Reported and filmed the whole story.
Reported my finding on here
Reported my finding to DJI China
Reported my Finding to DJI Europe
Reported my finding to the DJI dealer - Build Your Own Drones

Frustrated Yes.. totally pee'd off and fookin angry at the lack of response to all the above and the DJI support guys on here to constructively offer useful suggestions. Yes.

I really hope all you guys out there flying the A2 and Lightbridge, where it is legal have trouble free and safe flying.

The A2 flight control systems I have are not safe to fly. If thats because of the GPS puck then DJI please replace them. I will be trying once more tomorrow to contact Build Your Own Drones asking for a new replacement GPS Puck I returned to them back in march.

Soler has kindly offered to meet up and so I can try his GPS puck. If anyone wants to see pictures of my builds of the A2 machines go check the pictures I have posted in my albums, and forwarded to DJI. Soler has sort of made me realise what this forum is about. Helping. SO I will keep on this until its solved and the A2 machines I have convince me that they are safe and will comply with my responsibility to ensure any flight I carry out can be done safely and not endanger anyone.

Thanks Soler

Dave

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Pretty much from the heart, Dave. With occasional personal perspectives you have otherwise laid it all out objectively over two lengthy threads and the lack of response and support from responsible parties is shameful, particularly considering how long this has been going on.

I wonder how long it will take the UK authorities, if they ever have the balls, to finally oblige manufacturers to assume a hefty degree of after sales responsibility. Because, as you point out, we are professionally obliged to comply with the Rules of the Air and certain standards of safety and therefore by extension, so should the manufacturer. After all, full size aircraft manufacturers are. Unfortunately, although the Chinese have and always have had the moral scruples of cow pats, they also have all the money, so I fear they will remain aloof for quite some time as so many governments fawn and grovel.

Sorry dude and best of luck sorting it out.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
This is the Cinestar 8 long arms flying with A2 version 2.3 FW..... So far I am very impressed with the flight control, stability and how solid it maintains a specific altitude.....
It is even better than my previous WKM on FW 5.20 which I found to be quite reliable in well over 150 flights.
But there is still much flight testing to be done to confirm all functions are working correctly.

My new A2 on my new Cinestar 8 - 1100 working very well so far..... 2nd flight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
updated mine too last night but haven't had a chance yet to fly it. it looks like all of the settings survived the firmware update. need to do calibrations, some flights, and then get back to making the gimbal work.

Quinton

I am coming to that conclusion. BUT I have sent one off already to Build Your Own Drones back in March and still have not received one back as a replacement. Numerous phone calls, texts emails and support page requests NOTHING.

Dave

Might be time to get in contact with your local trading standards office, never mind sending the puck back, you should be sending it all back.
Personally I think DJI should be investigated, never know if enough people got together with their problems.
I can't believe some of the things I have been told like "oh well this industry is known for things to be released not quite right" ah sorry, no that is not acceptable, unless we let it continue.

At least new rules are in place from this month..[h=2]Can customers cancel purchases made online?[/h] Individual consumers have the right to cancel purchases within a specified time - from June 2014, under the new Consumer Rights Directive this is increases from seven days from the delivery date (for products) or from the contract date (for services) to 14 calendar days and a model cancellation form will need to be provided to customers. If you fail to provide the right information, the cancellation period is automatically extended to one year. Refunds must also be given within 14 calendar days.
There are some exceptions where consumers do not have an automatic right to cancel unless you agree otherwise, for example, sales of customised or perishable goods.

Tahoe Ed

updated mine too last night but haven't had a chance yet to fly it. it looks like all of the settings survived the firmware update. need to do calibrations, some flights, and then get back to making the gimbal work.

Bart, even though the settings survived, I would recommend that you reset to default, do the advanced IMU calibration, reset all your settings or load from an exported version, map and calibrate your channels and Tx. After the Compass calibration, you should be good to go.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bart, even though the settings survived, I would recommend that you reset to default, do the advanced IMU calibration, reset all your settings or load from an exported version, map and calibrate your channels and Tx. After the Compass calibration, you should be good to go.

ok, will do, thanks Ed.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
BTW - If an MR seems to need a lot of throttle on liftoff, e.g., to gain altitude then settles down to a nice hover at 50% should one adjust the Attitude vertical gain or the recommended motor idle speed?

I used eCalc to size components for the AUW and there were no issues..... and this Cinestar 8 is lightly loaded for initial test flights.