8FG & Naza set-up

DesJardins

Yes you can basically set some expo in the throttle but I haven't done any of that. My personal preference is to make sure everything is at zero; I like the 100% connected feel with everything and that is how I preferred all my Heli's as well. It's a "true" flight feeling

If you like I can do a little tinkering and see if I can make a vid if you decide that you really want some expo in that "center stick"

Last edited by a moderator:

mongo

lost soul
flying on a "grid" like that must help a lot with keeping the copter aligned with yer target, both going and returning. must be easy to catch lateral drift.

DesJardins

flying on a "grid" like that must help a lot with keeping the copter aligned with yer target, both going and returning. must be easy to catch lateral drift.

Oh yea especially since I am waiting to install my EzOSD since I had no more room for it on this small F450 frame. The TBS frame will give me the needed mount space

I think i got it figured out with the Throttle Curve menu:

View attachment 7194

If i'm correct, this should give me a 10 degree window transmitting 50% correct?

Yes you can basically set some expo in the throttle but I haven't done any of that. My personal preference is to make sure everything is at zero; I like the 100% connected feel with everything and that is how I preferred all my Heli's as well. It's a "true" flight feeling

If you like I can do a little tinkering and see if I can make a vid if you decide that you really want some expo in that "center stick"

Attachments

• 2012-10-21 18.32.11.jpg
    2012-10-21 18.32.11.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 336

DesJardins

Looks correct, check with the Quad plugged in the assistant and see if the throttle stick reacts different on input.

Keep in mind that if it's like flying Heli's with expo it may change your mind as at center stick it will feel "dead" within 5% both ways.

Pelted

Do you have a shot of how you ended up mounting your Futaba Rx? I now have about 10 packs through my quad in the last to days, and your videos for the 8FG setup have been perfect for getting that dialed in.

One thing I did was set my LD and RD to the Attitude and Pitch & Roll gains respectively. This allowed me to tune the gain then go back to the computer to see where they settled. After that I locked in the attitude gain so I can have that 2nd channel back. Thanks again for sharing your setup.

DesJardins

Do you have a shot of how you ended up mounting your Futaba Rx? I now have about 10 packs through my quad in the last to days, and your videos for the 8FG setup have been perfect for getting that dialed in.

One thing I did was set my LD and RD to the Attitude and Pitch & Roll gains respectively. This allowed me to tune the gain then go back to the computer to see where they settled. After that I locked in the attitude gain so I can have that 2nd channel back. Thanks again for sharing your setup.

That's awesome & I'm glad it helped!
Here is how I left set-up because I like my little custom mount, lmao

I will say that I am making another mount that has one antenna almost straight up and the other at 100degrees facing straight out the back and down a bit.

C8A88598-9153-47CE-AA8D-C2ED31F6E69D-354-0000002B492AEED1.jpg

BFD94247-CA52-427E-9D32-166F47F8BB99-354-0000002B4C47D626.jpg

0293D081-AE5A-44B2-BDD9-0B39154ACEDB-354-0000002B4735E777.jpg

DesJardins

Just got the "move your **** when you get home... xo" text
LMAO, it was so convenient moving everything to the hobby room!

08C94118-712E-4F4F-9DB9-9F264579243C-597-0000004429D52A72.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
atta girl.... don't let him have the house, he'll never leave, hahaha

Mine is everywhere, what a frigin mess. the rc dirtbag

DesJardins

atta girl.... don't let him have the house, he'll never leave, hahaha

Mine is everywhere, what a frigin mess. the rc dirtbag
LOL, should have seen the message when I took over our dinning room table on the weekend... Yikes
:)

That's quite the charging setup you got there. Can you charge 6 channels at the same time?
Thanks, yup charges all 6 packs in parallel which is pretty awesome!

kloner

Aerial DP
i've been doing it 2 years now,,,, i have no problem doing it right, except somehow i keep messing up and hooking the wrong crap together to where i either blow out the pcb or i blow fuses now with the whatever brand i got. you'd think it'd be pretty straightforward and usually is, but sometimes, i just kapow these things. I'm on my 5th or 6th paralel charging board now

DesJardins

Im interested to know more about that setup! Not that I can afford it.

Here are the links to progressiveRC for the charger & "safe" parallel board

The PowerLab6 and parallel board can charge any 6 packs as long as they are the same cell count.
They can be different mAh, different state of charge 4.0 per cell or 3.7 per cell and it will safely charge while balancing all 6.

This was the best $ I have spend to date on a charger, you will need a good power supply though if your charging 6 packs at once.
Good thing is of you want to charge 1,2,3,4 or 5-6 you can in any variation you choose.

http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-6.html

http://www.progressiverc.com/fma-universal-multi-port-safe-parallel-adapter-for-jst-xh.html

ROVguy

Hey chaps, sorry Ive been a bit quiet recently, been spending a bit of time with the other half and getting caught up with the golf thing. Anyway, Ive finally had chance to get the quad out for a proper flight. It flew well and there were no incidents but I believe I still need to sort out the voltage alarms as it was flashing away after 5 mins (ish) and its a 5000mah battery. Below is a link to the video. There is no stabilisation on it. It was just a general fly around line of sight, basically just me getting the hang of it as Ive never properly flown before. I will post another clip later where I give it bit more of a thrashing and I take my cahones in hand and continue flying until 8:40. I will check the condition of the batteries later. Ive noticed the Go Pro goes very dark when faced towards the Sun, as there anyway to alleviate this?

Since flying Ive now updated the Go Pro to the latest firmware and turned on Protune (whatever that is!) and turned off the spot metering, although Im not sure if that is relevant for video capture.

Let me know if your thoughts or if you notice anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnmkjToyHdU&feature=youtu.be

Cheers!

Rich.

DesJardins

I turned my voltage cut off (Off) as it can be inaccurate at times and it only takes once to bring the MR down hard.
Also I keep spot metering off on the GoPro as it does cause that drastic light saturation or focus point while recording; have to tried it again after turning the spot metering off?

Don't forget to disable the GoPro auto shut off timers...etc so that it stays on until you turn it off. Incase you ever forget to hit record it will at least stay on :)

Another thing to do if not done already is to cover the left side of the Naza box so Sunlight doesn't cause a drop on you while flying in Att/GPS modes.

ROVguy

Thanks for the heads up Jon, I think I'm going to turn the voltage monitoring off.

The go pro auto shut off is disabled as is the spot metering. Hopefully I will get out for a fly again tomorrow.

I've not covered the left side of the Naza as yet, but I will do, even though the FC is in-between the two plates.

Here's the vid link

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=W89et2BotyE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pelted

Definitely cover the side of the NAZA, I had the altitude drop issue on my first flight then immediately remembered reading that. Luckily I had black tape with me and did both sides just to be safe since I couldn't remember which side needed the fix. Thankfully I caught it before it hit the ground.

The next thing I need to do is sort out a tweak to the throttle curve though. In manual I just cant get a steady hover with the throttle. It's somewhere near 50% but it's to narrow of a spot.

linter

didn't want to start a new thread for such a stupid question but ... is the s.bus cable just a regular male-to-male lead such as i'm currently using b/ naza and regular channel slots in my rx? if so, doh!

while i'm here. i'm a beginner and dont want to have manual on my three position switch after i calibrate it in the field; i'm afraid i'm going to drop into it by accident and not know what i've done wrong until it's too late. is there a way to "remove" manual in the field or do i have to go back into the naza software, etc?

thanks!

kloner

Aerial DP
it is just one of the servo lead for all channels instead of one for each channel........ doh

I wouldn't suggest trying to take manual out unless you pre program one switch to be a 3 way for it all calibrated and naother 2 way all calibrated then in "aux-chan" you can swap ch7 for the different switches. Key being having them both pre programmed so the centers fall on man, atti and gps where there suppose to be