3D printed brushless Gimbals - Info exchange

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Guys,

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]posted some pics from a 3d printed Gopro 3 Gimbal in the viacopter thread (rcgroups) a couple days ago some people were interested how its done, is it for sale etc.[/FONT]

Wanted to start this thread to exchange infos on all the topics concerning the specific gimbal of mine and temps to rebuild it, how its done which 3d print and all related infos.

Weight without the gopro like in the picture 172 gramms but one could reduce that by another 30 to 40 pretty sure by using plastic screws and less carbon used as a handle at the moment.

View attachment 10699

View attachment 10697View attachment 10698

View attachment 10695View attachment 10696

View attachment 10694View attachment 10693

Boris

Attachments

• photo 2 copy.jpg
    photo 2 copy.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 387
  • photo 1 copy.jpg
    photo 1 copy.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 280
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 385
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 3dgimbal2.jpg
    3dgimbal2.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 3dgimbal1.jpg
    3dgimbal1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 402
  • photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 367
Last edited by a moderator:

hjls3

fantastic Boris. Really looking forward to your footage and the ins and outs of how you build/re-built your gimble. have one (3d printer) on the way and hope to dive in head first without losing my mind :)

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
fantastic Boris. Really looking forward to your footage and the ins and outs of how you build/re-built your gimble. have one (3d printer) on the way and hope to dive in head first without losing my mind :)

Once you have it tell me i will send you the files to reproduce stuff you want to ! But the funnest part is drawing it and 3 hours later having it in your hands !

Boris

cabojay

Hey Boris, Like all your new stuff have a lot of people asking about your legs and gopro mount. Some said they wrote you and ordered some. Nice stuff i'm going to order a 3d printer pretty soon.. Jay

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Cabojay, i am not aware that anybody ordered anything from me, am not planning on selling something but ready to share files when it think the time is right and maybe take some fee if i put a part on shape ways. But cool you are going the 3d printer road think it will be fun for you !!!!

Boris

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
How much do you want for one of those? I've been looking for something like this for a very long time and I'd be interested in it even it was only single axis. If I missed the price, sorry! I didn't see it on here! Thanks!

Kilby

Nice work, Boris. I just joined a hackerspace in my area and they have a 3d printer I've been working on. I'm currently prototyping my NEX gimbal with the printer before cutting it out on the cnc. Saves money on CF that way. Can't wait to see some footage from your gimbal!

-Terry

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Very nice Boris! I still don't understand how using a conventional brushless motor has the accuracy to operate a gimbal. It baffles me everytime I see this. Wouldn't the accuracy be somewhat defined by the amount of poles?

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Very nice Boris! I still don't understand how using a conventional brushless motor has the accuracy to operate a gimbal. It baffles me everytime I see this. Wouldn't the accuracy be somewhat defined by the amount of poles?

It would be a number of things, such as the stability of the voltage and current provided to the motors and where that power comes from, e.g. receiver or battery for example. A receiver may be slower to respond and incapable of a burst of current necessary to carry the load efficiently versus direct battery power. Also with a brusheless motor you run the risk of it going 360 degrees around given there's nothing mechanically or software wise to keep it from doing that. A motor spinning around wildly would cause a 90 degree out of phase gyroscopic force that may cause you to crash also so there's a number of concerns with the much heavier motors versus a standard "servo". Things to think about...but I believe the number of poles, i.e. the ratchet action of the motor, may cause some issues with maintaining a very, very fine point of focus. My 2 cents anyway...maybe the creator will know the fine details given he's probably tested it. Still waiting on the availability and price of these bad boys.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast

Iris to tell the truth i have no clue how it is working :) I didn't read into the matter yet. All i did was take care that the gimbal was solid and created it so the gopro would be nicely balanced the way i learned by several attemps to get the Gh3 working with the zenmuse.

In general there are two kinds or motors ready for use on the market at the moment.

http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-G2208-018mm-80-Turns-Motor-for-Alex-Mos-Gimbal_1

http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-GBM4008-021mm-150-Turns-Motor-for-Alex-Mos-Gimbal_1

Other ones you see are self wound. The bigger ones have more torque allow you to balance bigger cams etc.

All i can say is that before the first setup attempts of the controller board I was thinking damm this is going to be a long road, but to tell the truth the whole setup configuring is dead simple, it just works !

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
first jumps in the garden. Seems to be working nicely. A little ore tweeking necessary

Last edited by a moderator:

Cody321

I have a few questions, first what kind of 3d printer are you using, is the material ABS? How easy is it to program the software and get the motors to zero and limit the rotation. The action looks super smooth... What about the power required for the whole system.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Cody its a ultimaker. I am not using ABS but PLA at the moment. PLA advantage can be printed without a heated bed but starts to deform at temps arround 70 celsius.
Programming the brushless gimbals is super easy not even comparable to the other stabis we know in traditional sense with normal RC servos.
The systems can be powered with 2s to 4s if i remember correctly. Its good though to keep it running on a constant V. I have my driver board hooked up to a BEC 12v !

Boris

Cody321

Hi Boris, thanks for the info. I am looking at a new build and really interested in this new tech for the gantry. I worked on my own gantry in the first project but am not happy about the performance of the servos. I wanted to order a few motors and a control board but they are out of stock for the moment. What kind of torque can you get, I know this is hard to evaluate.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
What kind of motors are those on your quad? The ones making it fly that is... They look rock solid and built pretty well. Are they? The whole thing looks great...goo work.