Photohigher skyline rsgs

What makes me angry Steve is that one day it holds fine...turn it off, walk away without touching anything & come back to it 2 days later...now it doesnt hold level & keeps trying to roll over by 20+ degrees...so I switch off, walk away without doing anything else...come back 2 days later, attach the very same lipo & it holds fine!

With the NEW gimbals comming on the market, the AV130, AV200 & RSGS will be worth scrap only!!!!!

Ross

Ross you have my sympathies especially for someone who tries so hard. I just know I would have moved on by now in search of something else.

Personally I'm at that stage on the learning curve, looking for a gimbal and stabilisation. It maybe that my expectations are too high!! Just watched the promo video for the Hoverfly Gimbal on their site (https://vimeo.com/42166876) and that certainly did not sell it to me either. The only stuff I have seen online which looks lovely is that using the Firefly products. But when I mentioned this to someone with far superior knowledge than me, they said I shouldn't underestimate the amount of post production work in those videos. Whatever way I am no further forward.

ZAxis

As a long time observer of this thread, can I throw in this point ...
Everyone seems to expect the software to come right someday but surely its just masking deficiencies in the hardware . Isn't it time for PH to admit defeat and create a true version 2 hardware rather than endlessly just tinker with the firmware.

andy

MikeH

What makes me angry Steve is that one day it holds fine...turn it off, walk away without touching anything & come back to it 2 days later...now it doesnt hold level & keeps trying to roll over by 20+ degrees...so I switch off, walk away without doing anything else...come back 2 days later, attach the very same lipo & it holds fine!

With the NEW gimbals comming on the market, the AV130, AV200 & RSGS will be worth scrap only!!!!!

Ross

Hey Ross

Can you tell me roughly what the temp was on the day you last used it successfully and the day you tried unsuccessfully? was it big variation in temp? (just food for my thoughts.....)
Did you try restarting the skyline?
If it happens again try disconnecting the roll servo and starting the skyline, once it is initialised plug it in again.
and I am pretty sure you would have done this but make sure the tray is level on startup, I have a bubble level in my pocket to do that exact thing whenever it is started.

Macsgrafs

Ross you have my sympathies especially for someone who tries so hard. I just know I would have moved on by now in search of something else.

Personally I'm at that stage on the learning curve, looking for a gimbal and stabilisation. It maybe that my expectations are too high!! Just watched the promo video for the Hoverfly Gimbal on their site (https://vimeo.com/42166876) and that certainly did not sell it to me either. The only stuff I have seen online which looks lovely is that using the Firefly products. But when I mentioned this to someone with far superior knowledge than me, they said I shouldn't underestimate the amount of post production work in those videos. Whatever way I am no further forward.

Steve, there should not be any post production stabilisation in there movies as they don't state any & that would be illegal for PH to do, it would also get me a full refund from Barclaycard within days as it was sold fraudulently in that case!

As a long time observer of this thread, can I throw in this point ...
Everyone seems to expect the software to come right someday but surely its just masking deficiencies in the hardware . Isn't it time for PH to admit defeat and create a true version 2 hardware rather than endlessly just tinker with the firmware.

andy

Andy I agree my friend, why don't they just come clean....maybe because it would bankrupt them with everyone claiming full refunds.

Hey Ross

Can you tell me roughly what the temp was on the day you last used it successfully and the day you tried unsuccessfully? was it big variation in temp? (just food for my thoughts.....)
If it happens again try disconnecting the roll servo and starting the skyline, once it is initialised plug it in again.
and I am pretty sure you would have done this but make sure the tray is level on startup, I have a bubble level in my pocket to do that exact thing whenever it is started.

Mike, the octo is still sat on the kitchen table...it has been for 9 days now & the fiancee is not impressed, so the temp was a constant 20C...when working correct & when not working correct. We shouldn't have to disconnect anything, it just makes us look like total amateurs on a pro shoot...so if we have to disconnect them it means the RSGS is NOT fit for purpose & was sold under false advertisement (glad I saved the very first movie PH put online as evidence if ever needed).

Ross

mounirz

Hey Ross

i also thought it would be resistors affected by the temperature or humidity, resistance changes thus affecting the rsgs unit.....:upset:
by the way i wished i never bought the AV200 and the skyline,with the money and time spent i could have designed my own .... and i bet it would have been much better .........

Last edited by a moderator:

andrewrob

I thought some of you may be interested in our promo reel. Its shot using an AV200 with skyline runing 1.2.2
Cameras used were a Sony FS700, Sony NX70 and Canon 7D.
Some shots have post stabilisation but no more than 103%, So very little.

Enjoy

Great video, love that song too. What software do you use for post stabilisation?

Macsgrafs

i also thought it would be resistors affected by the temperature or humidity, resistance changes thus affecting the rsgs unit.....:upset:
by the way i wished i never bought the AV200 and the skyline,with the money and time spent i could have designed my own .... and i bet it would have been much better .........

Mounirz, I mentioned the same thing a few pages back. The resistors in use are 5% from memory, but the temp co-efficient is terrible. I was told that wouldn't affect it by PH, though myself being an ex army radio tech had to think hard on this...of course temp will affect the resistance of the resistors, therefore changing the total value & therefore throwing the RSGS off its programed centres! I did find some 0.001% temp co-efficient resistors...in Mexico, $1.50 (£1) a pop..postage was a killer though :(
When I think back to my last test, the octo is in the kitchen on the table...about 3ft from a radiator!!!! The radiator was on when I set up the RSGS....when I tried again this morning it was off? Yet I have seen many fly in the snow & in the glorious sunshine...it held in thier videos or they used post stab ;)

Ross

tombrown1

Ross, this thread is a painful read. You are clearly in agony. You obviously have a little bit of money to afford all your gear.

Keep your rsgs for tilt. Go buy a radian for roll. It works fine - it's easy to set up (comparatively), support is top notch at the freefly forums, and it's only $350. Plus you don't have to scrap your rsgs. Stop being a beta tester!

Its like what they say about women - never marry a woman expecting her to change for the better. Take rsgs for what it is now (not very good) and don't expect it to change for the better. Get yourself a fling on the side - that Radian sure is a hot little number.

Best,

TB

MikeH

Thanks for the kind words.

We use Adobe final cut pro, and Adobe After Effects.
My brother ( cameraman) has his own production company so that makes our lives alot easier!

Great video, love that song too. What software do you use for post stabilisation?

Can someone remind me what I do to keep the Pan function from spinning the airframe a bit on start-up. I had to reinstall the firmware tonight and am tuning again. I ran auto tune and have played with the pan center, but no luck. When it arms, even with the switch on the radio set to have the pan servo off, it still makes about a 20 degree rotation. Also, now I have messed with it so much, I don;t even know if pan is even centered. Should I have to use some radio sub-trim to prevent drift when flying? The instructions still suck....

Macsgrafs

Ross, this thread is a painful read. You are clearly in agony. You obviously have a little bit of money to afford all your gear.

Keep your rsgs for tilt. Go buy a radian for roll. It works fine - it's easy to set up (comparatively), support is top notch at the freefly forums, and it's only $350. Plus you don't have to scrap your rsgs. Stop being a beta tester!

Its like what they say about women - never marry a woman expecting her to change for the better. Take rsgs for what it is now (not very good) and don't expect it to change for the better. Get yourself a fling on the side - that Radian sure is a hot little number.

Best,

TB

Tom....that's the problem...I don't have ANY money!!!! Everything I buy is on barclaycard :(

The money I spent on the AV200+RSGS could have paid for my little boy to do swimming for the year or paid for my little girls school trip or helped towards my wedding or maybe paid for a hotel for our honeymoon in June instead of a 3man tent...so maybe you see why I'm angry & buying something else to put right what should be working from the start only fuels cowboy firms to continue exploiting the poor with sub standard shoddy gear! If you had seen my competition entry, you would have seen that I was using a gimbal that was 5 years old...no decent stabilisation at all. Looking at the smoothness of others I was left in a position of upgrade or get out of the MR camera market!!!

However, I do agree with you 100%.
Considering my AV200+RSGS is only 3 months old & now only worth scrap!!! I mean who in thier right mind is going to pay:-

£628 for an AV200
£207 for an RSGS
£266 for the AV200 360 kit

When this is on the market:-

http://www.fpvmodel.com/SBGC.html or this http://www.e-copter.com/portal/?page_id=97 and many other versions of the same thiong for less than 1/4 price of the original av200&rsgs!!!!!!

I'm not stickign with PH equipment because I want to...it's because I have to :(

Regards
Ross

PS $350 is £222, but if you look at the price UK sellers are charging....£595 for 2 axis radian..making it £300 for single axis or in USA money $471

Helifish

Tom....that's the problem...I don't have ANY money!!!! Everything I buy is on barclaycard :(

The money I spent on the AV200+RSGS could have paid for my little boy to do swimming for the year or paid for my little girls school trip or helped towards my wedding or maybe paid for a hotel for our honeymoon in June instead of a 3man tent...so maybe you see why I'm angry & buying something else to put right what should be working from the start only fuels cowboy firms to continue exploiting the poor with sub standard shoddy gear! If you had seen my competition entry, you would have seen that I was using a gimbal that was 5 years old...no decent stabilisation at all. Looking at the smoothness of others I was left in a position of upgrade or get out of the MR camera market!!!

However, I do agree with you 100%.
Considering my AV200+RSGS is only 3 months old & now only worth scrap!!! I mean who in thier right mind is going to pay:-

£628 for an AV200
£207 for an RSGS
£266 for the AV200 360 kit

When this is on the market:-

http://www.fpvmodel.com/SBGC.html or this http://www.e-copter.com/portal/?page_id=97 and many other versions of the same thiong for less than 1/4 price of the original av200&rsgs!!!!!!

I'm not stickign with PH equipment because I want to...it's because I have to :(

Regards
Ross

PS $350 is £222, but if you look at the price UK sellers are charging....£595 for 2 axis radian..making it £300 for single axis or in USA money $471

Ross Macsgrafs,

I have been following this thread and have made a couple of posts but i really believe you have no reason whatso ever to continuously bag a product, when i believe YOU are so totally responsible for 95% of the problems you have encountered. Further you then make posts telling others how to fix their issues with out any understanding or background of the problems other than to copy someone elses advice.
You have tried to reinvent a fix or Dabble with no proceedure or protocol and that is why you have made such a mess of the whole show.
You were given some great advice to watch a video of how to set up the gimble and obviously you did take some notice finally and you started getting results.
That in its self proves you didnt ever follow the instructions even if they are very limited and poor.
Now your trying to say your kids are being deprived of a better life. Come on mate???

Firstly why dont you try removing the slang off logo inyour signature refering to RSGS as being realy Sh*t ..... Do you realy think the guys at PH would want to help you in any way with that at the bottom of every post you make??

Secondly you bag the gimble and the price you paid for it. If you really think that its poor quality and not value for money then there is no product in this world that is ever going to satisfy you. I feel it is an incredible peice of precision engineering for its price and challenge you to show me some thing better.
For the price of the RSGS and the job it is doing for most users there is nothing else that compares.
Now lets not forget this is a $3-400.00 item and even with the gimble a less than $2000.00 set up. NOT a $700,000.00 Cineflex which is probably the only thing thats going to get you the results i asume you are expecting.

Your set up obviously has some problems but you will never get a good result by just uploading another firmware or beta test and think its going to fix it. You need to go back to the very start and set it up as it was designed and supplied with the tips and tricks that are proven fixes. I am sure your going to find you have a mismatch somewhere be a different receiver or transmitter or ****ty battery or some thing and if you do it all one step at a time you will get the same result as the rest of us that are having great sucess within the reality of what this products limitations, cost and design can provide.

Failing that just insure it and crash it and claim your insurance or something but please stop your whinning .
You just might learn something if you pull up and listen.

Im finished....sorry everyone else...had to get that off my chest.

Aviator

I gave up with my RSGS months ago haven`t touched it fiddled with it, anything.. I get some reasonable footage out of it on a calm day with a little post? but mainly I just use that machine for stills now... I only bought the RSGS because it was supposed to be the best so I forked out double money for that priviledge only to find I could have spent half that and got better.. I will never use PH again for that very fact.

Macsgrafs

Ross Macsgrafs,

I have been following this thread and have made a couple of posts but i really believe you have no reason whatso ever to continuously bag a product, when i believe YOU are so totally responsible for 95% of the problems you have encountered. Further you then make posts telling others how to fix their issues with out any understanding or background of the problems other than to copy someone elses advice.
You have tried to reinvent a fix or Dabble with no proceedure or protocol and that is why you have made such a mess of the whole show.
You were given some great advice to watch a video of how to set up the gimble and obviously you did take some notice finally and you started getting results.
That in its self proves you didnt ever follow the instructions even if they are very limited and poor.
Now your trying to say your kids are being deprived of a better life. Come on mate???

Firstly why dont you try removing the slang off logo inyour signature refering to RSGS as being realy Sh*t ..... Do you realy think the guys at PH would want to help you in any way with that at the bottom of every post you make??

Secondly you bag the gimble and the price you paid for it. If you really think that its poor quality and not value for money then there is no product in this world that is ever going to satisfy you. I feel it is an incredible peice of precision engineering for its price and challenge you to show me some thing better.
For the price of the RSGS and the job it is doing for most users there is nothing else that compares.
Now lets not forget this is a $3-400.00 item and even with the gimble a less than $2000.00 set up. NOT a $700,000.00 Cineflex which is probably the only thing thats going to get you the results i asume you are expecting.

Your set up obviously has some problems but you will never get a good result by just uploading another firmware or beta test and think its going to fix it. You need to go back to the very start and set it up as it was designed and supplied with the tips and tricks that are proven fixes. I am sure your going to find you have a mismatch somewhere be a different receiver or transmitter or ****ty battery or some thing and if you do it all one step at a time you will get the same result as the rest of us that are having great sucess within the reality of what this products limitations, cost and design can provide.

Failing that just insure it and crash it and claim your insurance or something but please stop your whinning .
You just might learn something if you pull up and listen.

Im finished....sorry everyone else...had to get that off my chest.

Nice to meet someone on the books no doubt!

you come on here, slag me off without even reading whats been posted. I was the one who put the instruction video up in the first place, but maybe you cant follow basic instructions like READING!!!!!!

I am responsible am I...you are obviously some sort of super human who has been here with me every step of the way, a newb with 9 posts & all in the RSGS forum...you come across as someone with a vested interest in PH's business a paid shill ... do you think I don't have a right to complain? Because that's the way you are coming across, but I suppose ignorance does breed people like yourself.

why should I remove my tagline....after all its the truth, my truth, maybe you should click on the text within the brackets, because I'm sure its a recording of you stating your reply ;)

Strange how you pipe up after I showed others how the AV200 & RSGS will be worth scrap value only with the new far cheaper & far superior gimbals arriving in the market..if I was a mod on this forum I would check your IP against a few others...I'm sure they would be from a common source.

For your information, if you had actually read through my posts you will see that I have NO receiver inline, its purely the rsgs trying to do its job, very poorly at that. The BEC is a high current device powering the rsgs & servos only.

so you are advising me to insure & crash it...what a total load of crap you talk...that will not cure the problems that others are having...WAKE UP!

Since you state you are having success...show me a link to your videos, put your money where your mouth is???

the problem as I see it is a crap product with clever marketing, all I can say is roll on these new gimbals at 1/4 price of the old useless ones available on the market now!

What results am I expecting? I'm expecting that something I have paid good money for to work as advertised...thats not complaining, that's stating FACT!!!!!!!

Maybe you would like to see a video taken with my RSGS v1.2...just for you since you seem to have a problem with someone speaking the truth:-

Even with the original software/firmware there are problems with the roll axis..so going back to 1.2 is not a way forward..would you agree?

If I'm the only one complaining, why has the post straight below yours said the same story as me? now who can't follow basic instructions..READ!!!!

I belong to 3 MR groups on facebook, they are full of people complaining about the rsgs...maybe all those can't follow basic instructions as well :) ;) :)

the bottom line is, PH released a product that we were all wanting for, but it turns out the product has terrible instructions (not professional at all) & only semi works, in fact it doesn't work as advertised...just read back through this thread & see how many have just given up & accepted the loss of money, I'm not one of those people...I will continue to state facts!

Have a great day!

Regards
Ross

How about using this forum for helping each other. This forum needs to stay on topic a bit better. I don;t have the time to read the endless rants. Sure, make your complaint and end it there. I have had better luck with RSGS than picloc so far. But, I sure would like some advice getting this thing set up better. It is close to being what I need.