Photohigher skyline rsgs

The procedure to for opening the software and putting the RSGS into the programming mode was always to- power the RSGS and then while the red light was flashing to open the software and open the port and wait for the blue light on the RSGS. This should allow us to now 'save' our settings as long as the servos are OFF. For some reason this does not seem to work for me with 1.1.7. Has something changed in this procedure? Now if I do all of these steps exactly as explained and hit 'save', I get the red letters of death stating that the unit has failed to communicate.

DennyR

Yeah I found that also but sometimes if you cycle the power it is OK again. Save as you go.... Sometimes it take it and sometimes you need a beer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah I found that also but sometimes if you cycle the power it is OK again. Save as you go.... Sometimes it take it and sometimes you need a beer.

When you say "cycle the power" do you mean to go through the entire process again or just pull the power and power it up again without re-opening the software, etc.? No matter what I do I cannot get the blue letters, unless I go back to 'connect to port #'. Then I can hit save and get the blue letters and confirm that my new settings are saved in the software but I don't think that they are actually flashing to the RSGS even though they say that they are. If they were then I don't think that the RSGS would then try to move beyond the stops as it is doing when I power it up the next time trying to strip its own gears.

DennyR

When you say "cycle the power" do you mean to go through the entire process again or just pull the power and power it up again without re-opening the software, etc.?
I meant just tuning the power off and on at the gimbal but hey I just found something else. Just as I was about to say how well the roll was starting to look I picked up the model and noticed that a pan movement is now also controlling the roll servo as well. It just gets worse. I would stop wasting your time.

In order to get the pwm signal from the Tx to create a usable angle of tilt range the IMU needs to be 90 degrees from the horizontal. And that is after the Z auto set.

I don't think this firmware is gona work. I'll try once more from scratch.

mily

Hi,

I've put the Skyline in the shopping basket but found this thread and wondering if it makes sense to order it in this phase after few last posts. Is it worth purchasing it if it is completly experimental for this money? I'm really suprised why such the product can be in the stock if it doesn't work. Or most of these comments are exaggerated? Thinking on HF controller now but this is also the blind date. To buy the RSGS or not? It's hard earned money.

/mily

DennyR

Mily
Do not buy this product. It may come good one day. Put the money towards a Zenmuse if you want to make proper videos. If you buy a HF controller what camera mount are you going control? Go back over this thread a few pages and you can see the difference between Zen and the HF. No exaggerations here these are facts.

hi,

i've put the skyline in the shopping basket but found this thread and wondering if it makes sense to order it in this phase after few last posts. Is it worth purchasing it if it is completly experimental for this money? I'm really suprised why such the product can be in the stock if it doesn't work. Or most of these comments are exaggerated? Thinking on hf controller now but this is also the blind date. To buy the rsgs or not? It's hard earned money.

/mily

do not buy this product!!! Stay home and stick pins in your eyes as a far more enjoyable alternative.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'll sell you my new RSGS. I was going to ship it back but it costs so much to do so it might be better to sell it locally. The unit is very close but has issues. I think if you had time to mess with it and wait for future solutions to arise it has serious potential. but I dont have time at all to even try the firmwares.

aknauer

The procedure to for opening the software and putting the RSGS into the programming mode was always to- power the RSGS and then while the red light was flashing to open the software and open the port and wait for the blue light on the RSGS. This should allow us to now 'save' our settings as long as the servos are OFF. For some reason this does not seem to work for me with 1.1.7. Has something changed in this procedure? Now if I do all of these steps exactly as explained and hit 'save', I get the red letters of death stating that the unit has failed to communicate.

Hi all, I am Beta-Testing the 1.1.7 and have been testing this product right from the start.

The power-up procedure is the same as before, assuming you have installed the new 1.1.7 software:

1. plug the programming cable into the USB port and PanInput
2. open the Skyline Software
3. connect to the COM Port the USB is providing - testing the connection
4. power up the Skyline (while long red flashing connect to the COM Port the USB is providing)
5. after long amber and flashing amber LED the unit will go into setup mode

This works for me every time.
To flash and re-program the unit I do the following:

1. unplug all inputs from the RX - just in case there are inputs coming from there
2. plug the programming cable into the USB port and PanInput
3. connect to the COM Port the USB is providing
4. go to the Update Tab and select the new Firmware
5. run update
6. when the progress bar starts filling power up the Skyline - (it will show "connected" in blue lettering)
7. when the update is complete it will say so at the bottom - the blue LED will be on
7a. AGAIN connect to the COM Port - else you will get an exception error on the next step (blue LED)
8. in the Update Tab click "Restore Defaults" (I do this for good measure, although not certain if it is needed) (blue LED)
9. click save settings (I do this for good measure, although not certain if it is needed)(blue LED)
10. click disconnect, then connect again - now the default values will show(blue LED)
11. ensure the gimbal assembly is sitting firm (vibration proof) and high enough for the tray to roll and tilt freely(blue LED)
12. level the tray by hand to absolutely level and ensure it will not wander in any direction(blue LED)
13. click "Set Level XY" and OK on the following popup dialogue (blue LED) (new level set message)
14. TILT the tray to 90° in the direction where the camera would be facing down(blue LED)
15. click the "Set Level Z" and OK on the following popup dialogue (blue LED) (new level set message)
16. level the tray by hand and click "Auto Tune"(blue LED)
17. now the gimbal will go through a series of gyrations which may seem a bit violent at the time - unless it is going full-lock and self-destructing, let it do it's thing. Ensure the bench/table it is sitting on is not being knocked, shaken by you (or the cat) in any way.
When the levelling is done (green LED) the tray should end up level and the servos will be humming
18. Increase the tilt and roll position gains until the tilt stabilizes satisfactorily.
19. click "servos on" (this may need to be clicked a second time) to re-enter Setup Mode (blue LED)
20. click "save settings" (blue LED) (settings saved to flash)
21. un-power the Skyline and remove the programming cable from the Pan-Input
22. power the Skyline to check the setup

There are still some hickups with this version in response speed of roll etc. However, considering the issues we had the improvements point in the right direction.

Although I do understand the frustration and anger this unit has caused, I feel urged to comment on some of the language used here. Let's be civilized and treat each other with respect. I know Kim and everybody at PH personally, and can assure you that they are genuine and of high integrity. Yes, they got themselves into a corner and might have jumped the gun with the release of the Skyline. And because I have met Kimberley I am convinced that he will do everything in his power to see his customers right in the end. Let's not forget that the PH reputation is at stake, and who should be more concerned about this than Kim.

And just in case anybody wants to ask - NO, I don't benefit in any way from writing here, nor do I work for PH or hold shares in the company.

Let's bury the hatchets.

Axel

nicwilke

plug the programming cable into the USB port and PanInputplug the programming cable into the USB port and PanInput

Hi all, I am Beta-Testing the 1.1.7 and have been testing this product right from the start.

The power-up procedure is the same as before, assuming you have installed the new 1.1.7 software:

1. plug the programming cable into the USB port and PanInput
2. open the Skyline Software
3. connect to the COM Port the USB is providing - testing the connection
4. power up the Skyline (while long red flashing connect to the COM Port the USB is providing)
5. after long amber and flashing amber LED the unit will go into setup mode

This works for me every time.
To flash and re-program the unit I do the following:

1. unplug all inputs from the RX - just in case there are inputs coming from there
2. plug the programming cable into the USB port and PanInput
3. connect to the COM Port the USB is providing
4. go to the Update Tab and select the new Firmware
5. run update
6. when the progress bar starts filling power up the Skyline - (it will show "connected" in blue lettering)
7. when the update is complete it will say so at the bottom - the blue LED will be on
7a. AGAIN connect to the COM Port - else you will get an exception error on the next step (blue LED)
8. in the Update Tab click "Restore Defaults" (I do this for good measure, although not certain if it is needed) (blue LED)
9. click save settings (I do this for good measure, although not certain if it is needed)(blue LED)
10. click disconnect, then connect again - now the default values will show(blue LED)
11. ensure the gimbal assembly is sitting firm (vibration proof) and high enough for the tray to roll and tilt freely(blue LED)
12. level the tray by hand to absolutely level and ensure it will not wander in any direction(blue LED)
13. click "Set Level XY" and OK on the following popup dialogue (blue LED) (new level set message)
14. TILT the tray to 90° in the direction where the camera would be facing down(blue LED)
15. click the "Set Level Z" and OK on the following popup dialogue (blue LED) (new level set message)
16. level the tray by hand and click "Auto Tune"(blue LED)
17. now the gimbal will go through a series of gyrations which may seem a bit violent at the time - unless it is going full-lock and self-destructing, let it do it's thing. Ensure the bench/table it is sitting on is not being knocked, shaken by you (or the cat) in any way.
When the levelling is done (green LED) the tray should end up level and the servos will be humming
18. Increase the tilt and roll position gains until the tilt stabilizes satisfactorily.
19. click "servos on" (this may need to be clicked a second time) to re-enter Setup Mode (blue LED)
20. click "save settings" (blue LED) (settings saved to flash)
21. un-power the Skyline and remove the programming cable from the Pan-Input
22. power the Skyline to check the setup

There are still some hickups with this version in response speed of roll etc. However, considering the issues we had the improvements point in the right direction.

Although I do understand the frustration and anger this unit has caused, I feel urged to comment on some of the language used here. Let's be civilized and treat each other with respect. I know Kim and everybody at PH personally, and can assure you that they are genuine and of high integrity. Yes, they got themselves into a corner and might have jumped the gun with the release of the Skyline. And because I have met Kimberley I am convinced that he will do everything in his power to see his customers right in the end. Let's not forget that the PH reputation is at stake, and who should be more concerned about this than Kim.

And just in case anybody wants to ask - NO, I don't benefit in any way from writing here, nor do I work for PH or hold shares in the company.

Let's bury the hatchets.

Axel

Thanks for the update.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mily

Mily
Do not buy this product. It may come good one day. Put the money towards a Zenmuse if you want to make proper videos. If you buy a HF controller what camera mount are you going control? Go back over this thread a few pages and you can see the difference between Zen and the HF. No exaggerations here these are facts.

Thanks for advice but unfortunatelly Zen is very,very expensive with its very limited functionality - not for now. Wow, so many irritated voices and emotions about this product. I'm currently building something similiar to Cinestar gimbal or Zenmuse and need controller that give me a quite big bunch of options to use, to tune my mechanical project. It's unbelievable we have already 2012 and it's really hard to find autonomious and solid controller in 3-axis - it must be really complicated or not proper "experts" take this issue into their hands. Maybe it's time to take Cortex or some DSP into hands and program it according to own needs. We have lot of open code like ArduImu v3, Naze that could be inspiration. Uff. Someone said that bad, not tested, released product could be a killer for the company. I wish PH could overcome all difficulties and release final well working stuff. But If I won't buy the Skyline, HF, Zenmuse what to put into my project?.. no altarnatives.

Stacky

Trouble with the CC3D is even when it is released it will be out of stock within hours however it will be as close to fully tested as anything can be so the wait will be worth it.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We would like to acknowledge that we knowthere is a problem with the Skyline and in hind sight we probably released thesystem to early. There is not much wecan do about that but I would also like to assure people that we are trying ourbest to get the firmware to a state that it is acceptable. We are not going to give up and we are goingto work on it until we can get a good result. We only have a small engineering team with two electronics engineers whoare both working on finding a solution. We are also getting some assistance from an external electronics engineeringfirm to try and help us get the issue resolved as soon as possible.
With regards to some comments about us misleading people tothink that the Skyline would be able to compete with a direct drive system likethe Zemuse – this was never intended. The Skyline will never be as smooth as the Zemuse mainly due to servosversa direct drive brushless motors. TheSkyline was developed as a cost effective stabilisation solution for the AV130and AV200 gimbals and possibly others. We have neverreleased videos with post stabilisation to try and cover things up. And we havenever asked people to show up the product. The videos that we have released andadvertised are exactly what they are and show exactly what the Skyline is doing.

Thank you,
Kimberley Attwell
Photo Higher

nicwilke

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. We would like to acknowledge that we knowthere is a problem with the Skyline and in hind sight we probably released thesystem to early. There is not much wecan do about that but I would also like to assure people that we are trying ourbest to get the firmware to a state that it is acceptable. We are not going to give up and we are goingto work on it until we can get a good result. We only have a small engineering team with two electronics engineers whoare both working on finding a solution. We are also getting some assistance from an external electronics engineeringfirm to try and help us get the issue resolved as soon as possible.
With regards to some comments about us misleading people tothink that the Skyline would be able to compete with a direct drive system likethe Zemuse – this was never intended. The Skyline will never be as smooth as the Zemuse mainly due to servosversa direct drive brushless motors. TheSkyline was developed as a cost effective stabilisation solution for the AV130and AV200 gimbals and possibly others. We have neverreleased videos with post stabilisation to try and cover things up. And we havenever asked people to show up the product. The videos that we have released andadvertised are exactly what they are and show exactly what the Skyline is doing.

Thank you,
Kimberley Attwell
Photo Higher

Thanks Kimberly,
I think a few people need to understand this before shooting off at the mouth at Photohigher, and in particular Kim. There's no need to make personal attacks here. Keep up the development PhotoHigher, as I'm in this for the long term and know the PH products are excellent. This talk of ZenMuze and the like really annoys me also, as its not comparing apples with apples. It would be nice to hear if there's going to be a direct drive upgrade for the AV's, i'll be in that for sure.
Thanks for the update.

DennyR

Thank you,
Kimberley Attwell
Photo Higher

After some further attempts to get the resolution without the oscillations I found this....
The gain setting on the tilt axis needs to be at least 250 otherwise it is way to slow too start the initial correction. (the FSR of your gyro is too high)
That gain setting (250) is much too high to prevent oscillation, however, That can be cured with the fitment of a piston dampener from a buggy. This must be placed on the tray arm next to the IMU not at the opposite end. When looking from the front of the lens the imu should be on the right.
I now have the tilt working with this method.
I expect that the roll could also be improve this way.
Do not fit a friction device to the servo as this is at the wrong end of the drive chain. The wind up in the tray and the belt drive is where most of the problems come from when you place a 550D etc. on the tray. In essence the resolution between the IMU and the tray arm inertia is now tighter.
The PID algorithm needs to control the deceleration better to stop the continuous overshoot.

Kimberley Your advert clearly states Rock Solid Gimbal Stabilization. That statement is not withstanding what ever else is on the market. It clearly never has been rock solid and is not fit for purpose (YET). With any luck we may be able to help you achieve that goal as we are all stuck with it.

Perhaps you should reimburse us all or offer a significant bounty for the one who gets you out of this mess.

Ab74

Hello, DennyR.

Do you happen to have a video/pic of this mod? I had my gain settings on a really low setting to prevent the oscillation but as you said, dampening is way too soft or late against the hexa movement.

I think the RSGS is better than my previous onboard FC stab. But could be probably improved with some mods to the mount. What I did was placed a rubber band at the bottom of the tray. It removed some of the jitters.

After some further attempts to get the resolution without the oscillations I found this....
The gain setting on the tilt axis needs to be at least 250 otherwise it is way to slow to start the initial correction. That is much too high to prevent oscillation however That can be cured with the fitment of a piston dampener from a buggy. This must be placed on the tray arm next to the IMU not at the opposite end. When looking from the front of the lens the imu should be on the right. I now have the tilt working with this method. I expect that the roll could also be improve this way. Do not fit a friction device to the servo as this is at the wrong end of the drive chain. The wind up in the tray and the belt drive is where most of the problems come from when you place a 550D etc. on the tray.
The PID algorithm needs to control the deceleration better to stop the continuous overshoot.