Flamewheel 450 with Naza - erratic flying problems.

I have had the flamewheel quad and naza controller about a month now. It took a few broken props, and a set of motors to figure out the programming bit using my mac with windows parrallel. I'm currently running 10 x 4.5 props, the stock 10a gaui stock esc's, and some generic 960kv motors.It was flying great for a few days - I seem to remember gains @ 180,180, 160,180 ( I think) with the atti gains both at 85I crashed into the side of my house, and after changing a prop, had very erratic flying and hovering - so I figured I messed up a motor. So I replaced em, new motors and props, all checked and when I fire it up - Again, very very erratic flight; Will not hover, and when it "seems" to be ready to hover it will "jump" gaining altitude but flying all over like its in the wind.The Naza controller is mounted very well - so its not moving in any way at all... Frustration level is high - the only thing I have not changed is the esc's; - I re-wired, or checked and double checked.Anyone??; I'll try posting a video soon.I have tried so many gain settings, they all do the same thing..

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
try putting your gains back to 100 on all of them

are the props balanced at all?

do you have any expo programmed

get us pics of the airframe with the props in view

Tahoe Ed

Exactly how hard did you hit the house? Is it possible that you may have damaged the Naza? You have 3 gyros plus 3 accelerometers and a baro sensor. All of which are very sensitive sensors. The are well isolate from most vibrations and minor crashes but if you had a major biff and nothing else fixes the problem. I would look at the FC next.

hit

The "hit" was not that hard at all - only broke a prop, and didnt fall far. I cannot imagine that the FC itself is/was effected, but maybe I'll throw the old gaui brain in there just to be sure.
I tried setting all back to 100 - Still no dice, very erratic jumpy flying.. wants to climb when it should hover, and very wobbly.

No expo programmed, props are balanced.

If the Naza itself is messed from the small crash ( compared to the major hits the gaui brain took for months before and still works perfectly) I would be pretty dissapointed- It literally clipped a prop and fell 2-3 feet onto grass.

Last edited by a moderator:

RCNut

If you can open the Naza case (havent tried opeining mine) you might check to see if the PCBinside hasnt come loose. The case itself might be firm on the quad but if the PCB inside is loose it will give eratic flight.

kloner

Aerial DP
take a motor and give it a light push/pry and see if you see any cracks in the frame around the motor. do all 4

settings and props

So I spent some time again last night trying various settings in the gain control - from 100 across the board, working up using the google doc chart with everyones settings that were even close to mine... Same results.
Tried the stock 8" gaui props, and some 9" as well - same results again.

I am running 3s battery. Looked over the frame - no signs of damage at all- Like I mentioned it only tool a light hit to a prop, no big crash.

I'd like to think its in the brain since when I plug it into the gaui 344 brain it flys as it should.... Just not like the NAZA I paid for!

I would imagine opening up the Naza would void warranty on the unit? I think I'll send it back at this point, and end my frustrations in thinking its everything else.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
So I spent some time again last night trying various settings in the gain control - from 100 across the board, working up using the google doc chart with everyones settings that were even close to mine... Same results.
Tried the stock 8" gaui props, and some 9" as well - same results again.

I am running 3s battery. Looked over the frame - no signs of damage at all- Like I mentioned it only tool a light hit to a prop, no big crash.

I'd like to think its in the brain since when I plug it into the gaui 344 brain it flys as it should.... Just not like the NAZA I paid for!

I would imagine opening up the Naza would void warranty on the unit? I think I'll send it back at this point, and end my frustrations in thinking its everything else.

Try different esc's. I had exactly the same problem, the quad was flying erratic, jumping up and down while the throttle was in the same position. I swapped out the esc's for Arducopter esc's and it flew like a dream! Don't give up yet!

Gunter.