DJI ESC's

rwilabee

I'm thinking about putting together a hex using the XAircraft frame. How do you like the DJI Naza ESC's. I can't decide between them or maybe some Hobby Wing Fun Fly 30 amp. The DJI looks like they have the motor connectors built right on to the circuit board. By the way I'm going to be using one of my WKM's with them.

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Skyman

I just got my NAZA, and it seems DJI 30A ESC works well, 'cause I am new to use NAZA, so I chose their complete F450 Kits. Yes, their F450 Frame is different, the ESC can be soldered on the Frame circuit board.

rwilabee

Did they give you any programming instructions for the ESC or does anyone know if the DJI ESC's are programmable.

rsun

Go for the DJI ESC's.

I it plug and play to the Naza so I believe it is the same for the wookong.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
DJI ESC is a Hobbywing, just one that's built to their specs with the programming settings already done. There's nothing magical or special about them other than they cost 2X as much as a Hobbywing and there's no BEC so you get even less for twice as much.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
is turnigy plush (when they're not backordered) still a good all around ESC for multi-rotors? I may do a new small quad to get more comfortable flying strictly FPV soon. prolly use the OP CC board.
thanks,
bart

rwilabee

Hey Ken...

Maybe I would be better off with the Hobbywing as I was planning to use some Avroto motors and maybe the timing is set for their DJI motors unless it would be the same. I also don't like flying with any kind of cut off and lots of times I will set my ESC to Nicad so that there is no cut off for sure, as I don't want the bird going down hard if I should fly a little too long. Do you think with a HobbyWing Programming card you could reprogram them? I kind of like the motor pins on the DJIs being so short would make for a clean install.

Rich

DJI ESC is a Hobbywing, just one that's built to their specs with the programming settings already done. There's nothing magical or special about them other than they cost 2X as much as a Hobbywing and there's no BEC so you get even less for twice as much.

Ken

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Rich can you post a picture of the DJI ESCs. I guess the connectors on the DJI ESCs are nothing more than soldered on gold connectors, which are not a good approach ! Gold connectors directly soldered onto pad on any boards are just prone to get loose and come of being stressed by vibrations. The best solution is to solder on the cables directly once you know the spin direction of your motors is correct, if the ESCs don't offer forward or reverse mode for the motors !

Of coarse you can reprogram hobbywing ESCs. I dont think that DJI ESCs are in anyways different concerning their firmware than the Hobbywing ESCs ! So the same setting are available.

Boris

rwilabee

Thanks Boris...

I think I'll just use the Hobbywing ESC's. I sure don't need to have a connector come loose. I was looking in to the Maytech but couldn't find them in stock anywhere here in the States.

Thanks Rich

Rich can you post a picture of the DJI ESCs. I guess the connectors on the DJI ESCs are nothing more than soldered on gold connectors, which are not a good approach ! Gold connectors directly soldered onto pad on any boards are just prone to get loose and come of being stressed by vibrations. The best solution is to solder on the cables directly once you know the spin direction of your motors is correct, if the ESCs don't offer forward or reverse mode for the motors !

Of coarse you can reprogram hobbywing ESCs. I dont think that DJI ESCs are in anyways different concerning their firmware than the Hobbywing ESCs ! So the same setting are available.

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
If you take the maytechs i would rather take the V1 than the V2. I just ruined 6 of m axis motors with the V2 version. Not suer yet what went on ! But not to take any risk take the v1 version !

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hey Ken...

Maybe I would be better off with the Hobbywing as I was planning to use some Avroto motors and maybe the timing is set for their DJI motors unless it would be the same. I also don't like flying with any kind of cut off and lots of times I will set my ESC to Nicad so that there is no cut off for sure, as I don't want the bird going down hard if I should fly a little too long. Do you think with a HobbyWing Programming card you could reprogram them? I kind of like the motor pins on the DJIs being so short would make for a clean install.

Rich

Now that's an interesting question that I'll have to explore later. The Hobbywing programming card is the same one for Turnigy and it worked fine for the DYS ESCs I have as well, so later I'll try hooking it up to one of the DJI Escs on my F450 and see if it does anything. Quite possible the programming function has been disabled to keep people from changing the "optimum" settings they've put in there which in reality is nothing more than specifying no govenor, fast startup, no cutoff, and a couple other things. If I wasn't about to head out the door for a birthday party at the inlaw's I'd do it now but SWMBO would have a fit if I started poking around with a multi right now... ;)

Ken

rwilabee

Thanks Boris I think I'll just use the HobbyWing I'm assuming they are the proper HZ rating for the WKM.

Rich

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Now that's an interesting question that I'll have to explore later. The Hobbywing programming card is the same one for Turnigy and it worked fine for the DYS ESCs I have as well, so later I'll try hooking it up to one of the DJI Escs on my F450 and see if it does anything. Quite possible the programming function has been disabled to keep people from changing the "optimum" settings they've put in there which in reality is nothing more than specifying no govenor, fast startup, no cutoff, and a couple other things. If I wasn't about to head out the door for a birthday party at the inlaw's I'd do it now but SWMBO would have a fit if I started poking around with a multi right now... ;)

Ken

Ken take it with you to the party :) and fiddle around with it at the party :)

Boris

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I Would be curious if you could use it to program the DJI esc. Let us know.

Thanks Rich

The answer is no, the programming card does nothing when hooked to the DJI ESC. That doesn't really surprise me since it's intended for a single application, multirotors, there's no need for a lot of programming options so they're probably fixed in the firmware and the programming option disabled.

Ken

rwilabee

Thanks Ken...

I think I'll just go with some HobbyWing for my Hex. I was thinking about the Maytec but they don't see to be available anywhere.

Rich

The answer is no, the programming card does nothing when hooked to the DJI ESC. That doesn't really surprise me since it's intended for a single application, multirotors, there's no need for a lot of programming options so they're probably fixed in the firmware and the programming option disabled.

Ken