DJIF550HexBuild2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 374
  • DJIF550HEXBuild3.jpg
    DJIF550HEXBuild3.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 449
Last edited by a moderator:

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Well it went together so fast and I wanted to fly tonight I just did a quick install.

I elected to go with the 8" props and a 4s 5000mah setup. Total weight is 3lbs 8oz.

Flew it in the house real quick in Atti mode on the WKM and its rock solid.

This will make for a great small camera platform.

Charging pack and might head out in the dark for a outside flight.

Will get better pics and video this week.

Proof will be how well it does in GPS with some wind.

View attachment 2238

Attachments

• DJIF550HexaBuild4.jpg
    DJIF550HexaBuild4.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 417

GGoodrum

I too have a sample set of this frameset, which I will be building up tomorrow. :) I got it from Sidney in order to optimize our new, slightly larger 2-axis gimbal that will be sized to carry a NEX-5N/7, a GH2 or a 550i. This one will also come with an integrated set of landing gear.

I know from playing with my WK-M XA Hexa setup that this size has more than enough power to carry a mid-size camera setup. The GoPro-equipped F450 setup, with Graupner 11x5s and two 4s-2600 packs has gobs of power, and nothing gets warm at all. The F550 hex will have plenty of power. :)

-- Gary

jforkner

Is there going to be an "upgrade kit" for the F550 Flame Wheel to migrate a Naza F450 Kit to the new frame (i.e., frame, 2 motors, 2 ESCs, cables)?

Jack

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Alright I couldn't wait last night so I went out to fly in the street.

Like I have mentioned I did a quick install and left all the wires just hanging. I'll clean it up today. For some reason I have this thing where if I do a clean install from the beginning I end having to redo it. LOL!!

I took one of the battery powered round lights that you push to turn on and Velcro it to the Lipo. :highly_amused:

It was a balmy 15F outside last night.

It found GPS in less then 30 seconds.

Here is a quick iPhone video I shot and my hands were freezing. It was dead calm, zero wind at all.

I'll adjust the gains and clean it up this morning.

Need my coffee.

http://youtu.be/v-lktp5nC7c

Last edited by a moderator:

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Is there going to be an "upgrade kit" for the F550 Flame Wheel to migrate a Naza F450 Kit to the new frame (i.e., frame, 2 motors, 2 ESCs, cables)?

Jack

I'll talk to DJI about that option. They are in Germany for the Nuremburg fair right now but I'll see what I can find out.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Cleaned up the wiring. Worked on the CG.

I also thought I would try the GPS on one of the arms. It makes for a cleaner install. GPS lock is very fast. Well under 30seconds. I was figuring being so close to the esc (right on top of it) and close the magnets of the motors it would be horrible.

Weight without Lipo is 2lbs 8oz.

View attachment 2245

Attachments

• DJIF550 Hexa5Build.jpg
    DJIF550 Hexa5Build.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 365
  • DJIF550Hexa6Build.jpg
    DJIF550Hexa6Build.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 338

GGoodrum

Sidney said the F550 hex, and the new "baby" F330 quad would be available to dealers in mid-March.

Robert, looks good. I'm about a day behind you. :)

-- Gary

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
Yes, we will have a big batch as soon as they are available. Free 2 day shipping. :)

I'm thinking 2nd week of March. DJI told me they were just waiting on the final packaging.

Latest flight data. 4s 5000mah with the 8" props is giving me an average of 300mah per minute. So 13-14mins.

I was flying in some pretty good winds -15-20mph today and having a blast. Granted it was moving around a little but I lowered the Attitude gains down from 100 to 85 and the basic gains are close to 200.

Hooking up the Eagletree data logger to see what max amp draw is with the 8" props then I will switch to the 10" props on 4s then 10" props on 3s.

I just need a little goPro mount. Hint hint GARY!!!

I'll strap my goPro2 on it soon enough.

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
With 8" props and 4s 5000mah pack the highest amp draw I can get is 32.8amps.

Putting on 10" props.

And watching football.