Finishing up MK Hexa XL build

kuau

So I am finishing up my MK Hexa XL build using AVROTO motors and Maytech esc's. I am new to the WKM FC and have read the latest WKM manual V2.1.
Couple of questions.
First in regards to where to mount my GPS and what size poll to use.
In the picture I have attached I have the GPS placed on the rigger M4, is this a good place for the GPS to be? Also which length poll should I use, the WKM comes with 3, short, medium, and long.

Secondly, I have mounted the IMU directly in the center, my question is in the WKM assistant software in the "Mounting" menu where it asks for X,Y,Z position of the unit do I just leave them at 0 because I have it mounted in the center?

I have already updated to the latest FW, and also calibrated my Hitec Aurora 9 transmitter, plugged everything in, and made sure the motors were spinning in the right direction which they are..

As you can see be my photos this is kinda of a custom build with the MK, I used 3 center plates for the build. My Maytech esc's are all on one level, then on top if the WKM stuff...

Any other advice....?
Oh year I forgot on this build what props would be recommended right now I have APC 11X4.7 would these work? Or do I need to go bigger?

-Steve

Attachments

• _DSC0817.jpg
    _DSC0817.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 259
  • _DSC0816.jpg
    _DSC0816.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 209
  • _DSC0815.jpg
    _DSC0815.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 259

AIRCONROB

Hi Steve, I see you're on same par as me on "custom" build, very neat.
The GPS I have mounted the same on M4 which I am told thats ok, and I've used the medium stick, and the IMU settings i have left at zero as it is bang on centre.
As goes for the prop size that depends on how many cells you are going to be running on. Also what is the size between motor to motor?
Cheers
Rob

AIRCONROB

View attachment 1984
Yes I have used 3M pad and a couple os cable ties. And the motors are those the Avroto 2814 Short Shaft?
[h=1][/h]

Attachments

• 2012-01-02 18.02.55.jpg
    2012-01-02 18.02.55.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited by a moderator:

kuau

Well almost there, Just to verify:

Next thing is doing the setup for the XYZ coordinates for both the IMU and GPS. I have the IMU right in the center so I assume I leave the IMU placement at all zeros ? Then for my GPS I measure from the center of the craft to the GPS for the X coordinate which in this case is 12cm so I punched in -12 because its behind the IMU on the M4 rigger. and I punched in for the Z coordinate 5cm because it's on the poll.
I hope thats correct.

Lastly I tried to do a compass calibration, I flipped the control switch from pos 1 to pos 3 quickly 6-10 times (yes I have my 3 way switching working correctly It goes from GPS to ATTI to fail safe) as it says in the manual,
I then get a flashing blue light, is this correct or should it be a steady blue light?? Then it says to rotate the copter CW till green light is constant, again when they say constant is that mean green light flashing or steady green light?

Oh yeah. I just attaches the landing gear, seems very flimsy, any other options, and I have yet to mount my camera mount... Want to make sure it's flying ok.
Steven

_DSC0821.jpg

_DSC0819.jpg

_DSC0818.jpg

kuau

Pretty much done,
I got the compass calibration figured out, I am just waiting to get my props in the mail.
Now if I could figure out how to install my CC Bec Pro I will be good to go.
The only thing that concerns me is the flimsy MK landing gear

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
nice build Kuau

i agree about the landing gear if you got a couple of pieces of tube you and a few cable ties you could make a couple of skids braced with cable ties as a temp measure

other wise looking nice

keith

kuau

Thanks Keith,
Do you think I need to do something with the motor wires coming out of the riggers?
I tried to install the wires in the riggers as described in the manual, but the wires form the Avrotors are to thick to go through the existing wholes in the riggers.

gadgetkeith

likes gadgets
looks ok if you mean the first inch from the motors

ive looked at lots of other peoples builds and must admit looks nice and clean running wires inside booms etc

i just keep thinking about the entry point is so vunerable in case of a crash unless you can fit a cap or wire guard of some sort

but it seems thats how its done

have not built one yet so not realy the one to ask but looks good and clean

i used to hate trying to get realy good clean wire set up on me helis as there never seemed to be room to get it all perfect

as long as you are happy does it realy matter what others think

somones probably got ideas as far as protection to wires etc

keith

kuau

Build done...

Here is my completed build with averticalview camera gimbal.
Test flown a few times now, Still have some wobble though.
I have some new Graupner E-Prop 11x5 on the way to replace my 11x4.7 APC SF, base on RTryder (Ken) advice.
I have my gains turned up a lot 300%

Steven

Attachments

• m2.JPG
    m2.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 272
  • m1.JPG
    m1.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 257