XAircraft SuperX - Taranis - X8R

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry, I thought you had said you clipped the red & black servo wires from the ESC. They are unnecessary for opto esc. I don't know that they harm things - people go back and forth about this. Leave it for now. But if/when you remove them - make sure they are isolated so they don't short anything.

The superx should be getting power directly from the PDB. Nothing inbetween. No regulator, no UBEC. Just a straight run from the power. It has an internal BEC to handle the power. Maybe this is your issue?

If the motors are twitching, they certainly have power. I was talking about signal current, sorry. If the motors are twitching with a slow beep - it means they are not recognizing the signal flowing from FC (or in this case the Rx directly) through ESC to the motor. This is the issue I had with mine - but again, for me it wasn't an issue with the Rx/throttle calibration - since the signal was be coming directly from the Rx. My issue seems to be a SuperX problem sending enough signal to the ESC/motor to let it know it's ready.

Make sure you have the servo wired correctly, with the white signal wire on top row of the Rx?

That's all I've got....

mediaguru

Sorry, I thought you had said you clipped the red & black servo wires from the ESC. They are unnecessary for opto esc. I don't know that they harm things - people go back and forth about this. Leave it for now. But if/when you remove them - make sure they are isolated so they don't short anything.

The superx should be getting power directly from the PDB. Nothing inbetween. No regulator, no UBEC. Just a straight run from the power. It has an internal BEC to handle the power. Maybe this is your issue?

If the motors are twitching, they certainly have power. I was talking about signal current, sorry. If the motors are twitching with a slow beep - it means they are not recognizing the signal flowing from FC (or in this case the Rx directly) through ESC to the motor. This is the issue I had with mine - but again, for me it wasn't an issue with the Rx/throttle calibration - since the signal was be coming directly from the Rx. My issue seems to be a SuperX problem sending enough signal to the ESC/motor to let it know it's ready.

Make sure you have the servo wired correctly, with the white signal wire on top row of the Rx?

That's all I've got....

Na I clipped the servo wires to make the jumper cables. My ESC's are not opto. They have a BEC on them if I'm not mistaken.

I'll check the obvious later tonight, like maybe having the servo wires upside down. Pretty sure they only fit one way though.

I'll mess with it more and report back my results.

I did notice that the SuperX can take the 22 volts. Does that mean I don't need the regulator at all? Can the RX get its power from the sbus of the superx?

Once again thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
What jumper cables are we talking about here???

the superx doesn't want anything in between it and the power. It can handle 3-6S lipo. I guess once you get above that it may need something else.

The rx will definitely get it's power via sbus connection.

Test it out and let us know how you do.

mediaguru

What jumper cables are we talking about here???

the superx doesn't want anything in between it and the power. It can handle 3-6S lipo. I guess once you get above that it may need something else.

The rx will definitely get it's power via sbus connection.

Test it out and let us know how you do.

Talking about the jumpers used in the binding process of the TX/RX.

I'll reconfig so the superx is getting 22.2v directly from the PDB and I can apparently save a few grams and get rid of the voltage regulator.

Thanks. I have some work to do and will let you know. I'm sure I'll have more questions later!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just to clarify: you cut some servo cables to bind RX? Didn't you get the little black jumpers with the radio?

mediaguru

Found 'em. They were hidden in with the keys. I'm going to do a TX calibration then rebind using the jumpers, just in case.

mediaguru

Ok latest update:

I rebound the TX with the jumpers. Communication between the TX/RX seems to be fine.

I then did a TX calibration as per the youtube video posted here. Checked throws and they appear to be proper at 100% when all the way to any side.

As suggested, I ran an SBUS connection between the RX and the SuperX, also another connection from the throttle channel 1 to a motor/esc. The SuperX gave me a green flashing light.

Still get the initial 1234 beeps from the esc, no battery cell indicator beeps, and go straight to the beeps that are about 2 seconds apart. The esc manual says about this "Throttle signal is irregular or lost"

Even with the RX disconnected I get the same beeps.

I had read somewhere that some who had issues like this started their TX with the throttle in the middle. That did nothing. I'm wondering about perhaps checking the outputs of the RX with a multi-meter to see if channel 1/9 is producing a signal.

I don't see movement on the TX home screen when I move the throttle etc. I do see some movement of items representing trim knobs and switches. Not sure if that means anything. Do I need to perhaps make a new setup in the TX and manually assign all the pots to channels?

That's all I had time for yesterday. Next I will connect the superX directly to the PDB 22.2v but I kind of doubt that is the issue since the esc beeping is independent of whether the RX or superx are powered up.

Any other ideas welcomed.

Wondering if I need to unsolder the PDB connections to the motors/escs and try to calibrate with only the esc/RX connected to a battery without the PDB. Once again, that doesn't seem a likely issue either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a taranis channel assignment issue. When you mention not seeing movement on the main screen - I'm not sure what your looking at/for.

From main screen, short press the page button (4x I think) to bring up channel page. It should look like bars running horizontal. Moving the throttle stick all the way up should show in the bar move all the way right on both 1&9 if it's set up the way you stated. Conform that, so we know whether the throttle channel is indeed outputting data.

SoCal Blur

I'm wondering... which servo wires do you have connected between the ESCs and the SuperX? Only the signal wire or the signal and ground wires?

mediaguru

I'm beginning to wonder whether this is a taranis channel assignment issue. When you mention not seeing movement on the main screen - I'm not sure what your looking at/for.

From main screen, short press the page button (4x I think) to bring up channel page. It should look like bars running horizontal. Moving the throttle stick all the way up should show in the bar move all the way right on both 1&9 if it's set up the way you stated. Conform that, so we know whether the throttle channel is indeed outputting data.

The channel page has horizontal bars which show movements, yes. When I move the throttle, #1 and #9 display the movement.

I will try hooking up a different esc tonight or tomorrow, to rule out one bad esc/cable.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm wondering... which servo wires do you have connected between the ESCs and the SuperX? Only the signal wire or the signal and ground wires?

I think he said he had all 3 wires still connected.

This whole thing is eerily like the issues I had - I'm hoping for better results.

mediaguru

I don't know for a fact that I "should" be seeing movement, but seems like I should. The highlighted red sliders in the LCD display don't move when I move the sticks.

View attachment 18525

Attachments

• no-movement.jpg
    no-movement.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 332

mediaguru

I think he said he had all 3 wires still connected.

This whole thing is eerily like the issues I had - I'm hoping for better results.

All three wires currently connected. Since the ESC's are getting power from the PDB I could easily cut the +/- on one, leaving only signal, and see if that helps.

SoCal Blur

All three wires currently connected. Since the ESC's are getting power from the PDB I could easily cut the +/- on one, leaving only signal, and see if that helps.

I didn't read through the entire thread, sorry - The reason I asked is that some people just use the signal wire. My configuration is like that but I don't use a SuperX. Other configurations require that the signal wire and the ground (-) wire are conneted. Since you have both connected, that can't be the issue.

mediaguru

I didn't read through the entire thread, sorry - The reason I asked is that some people just use the signal wire. My configuration is like that but I don't use a SuperX. Other configurations require that the signal wire and the ground (-) wire are conneted. Since you have both connected, that can't be the issue.

Well my inability to perform esc throttle calibration seems independent of the SuperX anyway, since it is done without the SuperX in the loop.