Basic Setup Instructions for FrSky Taranis, X8R and Naza-M V2

gringers

Preoccupied
Great Original Post!!

Here is a link to the Taranis User Manual.
https://code.google.com/p/opentx/wiki/OpenTx_FrSky_EN#openTx_for_FrSky_Taranis

Haven't played with the radio yet but does anyone know what the LS and RS (Right Slider) switch designations are?? For example (SB, SE, etc?) Trying to set Gimbal Tilt to RS.

Thanks!

You actually got it in your post! They are 'LS' and 'RS' respectively!

So for your gimbal tilt, choose the source for Channel 5 as 'RS' on the Tx and then of course switch gimbal control 'on' in the Advanced/Gimbal page of the Assistant software.

gringers

Preoccupied
Hi Everyone, new user here.

First off, thanks to gringers for setting up this thread. It is extremely informative and really has persuaded me to go with a Taranis x9d.
Currently, I have a phantom 2Z and planning on building an F550 with just about an identical part list to yours Andrew.
Was wondering how everything went with the update for your Taranis and if you've gone out flying your F550 yet?

Any advice you or anyone else would pass along to someone just starting out with building the F550?
New to RC stuff like this, but have been an electronic tech for more then a few decades. My expertise is more computer related.

Also have a question on the Taranis x9d. Are both the sticks self centering, or can they be setup that way (similar to the phantom controller)?
Was thinking about updating my P2Z to use the Taranis after I complete my F550 project.

Anyone have thoughts about self centering vrs standard throttle for Naza M V2 controllers? Or is it a preference type thing?

Thanks!

You'll do well to beat this as a 'starter builder' thread...it's not just the basics, it's very comprehensive!
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build-DJI-NAZA-F450-Quadcopter!

Re throttle - I use the standard/non centering or 'ratchet' throttle stick not least because I find it easier for a controlled ascent/descent. As is often the case though, if you're used to a self centering stick (is that what the P2 controller has - I've never had one?) then stick with whatever you're comfortable with.
Plus, it's easy to choose which type you want as long as you're happy to open up the case and adjust a couple of screws. Have a look at this video by R Scott Page for a detailed 'how to':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdofcIeQBHs

Zwyser

gringers, you are my hero! Thanks A LOT for going through the pain to write down this setup manual!! It was very useful to me after trying to set it up for hours without getting there.

Zwyser

I was trying to set this up according to the initial post but when I was out to do a testrun it seems like the gps was out of control. It was only flyable in manual. But I did get a green only blinking and also the fast blink for the home position set. Any idea what this could be? I have a Dji Phantom 1.2.1 with the Naza v2. I just unplugged both cables from the original receiver which were in the naza x2 and x1 port. I then plugged the x8r sbus into the x2 port so the x1 is empty. Is that the issue? Or any other ideas?

Ìt is really frustrating after all this work trying to setup the Arris CM3000 bl gimbal...

Thanks for any hints

gringers

Preoccupied
I was trying to set this up according to the initial post but when I was out to do a testrun it seems like the gps was out of control. It was only flyable in manual. But I did get a green only blinking and also the fast blink for the home position set. Any idea what this could be? I have a Dji Phantom 1.2.1 with the Naza v2. I just unplugged both cables from the original receiver which were in the naza x2 and x1 port. I then plugged the x8r sbus into the x2 port so the x1 is empty. Is that the issue? Or any other ideas?

Ìt is really frustrating after all this work trying to setup the Arris CM3000 bl gimbal...

Thanks for any hints

Correct, you connect the X8R to the x2 port using SBUS.

Once you switched to SBUS did you change the receiver type to 'D-Bus' in the Basic/RC section of the Assistant? (I presume it's the same assistant for Phantom as the normal Naza-M V2?)

Does everything in the Control Mode Switch section of the Assistant show as working/switching correctly between the 3 modes?

Zwyser

And the x1 port remains empty? What does the original connection from the Phantom receiver use the x1 port for?

I did change it to D-Bus in the Naza assistant software and all the control mode switches work properly according to the software (gps atti and manual). the led also cycles through the modes if I switch through the modes.

When I fly in GPS, the Phantom tries to drift to one direction quite heavily so that I need to counteract this movement with the sticks or it will just vanish to nowhere.

I have a video of the behavior which I might be able to upload later today.

Last edited by a moderator:

gringers

Preoccupied
And the x1 port remains empty? What does the original connection from the Phantom receiver use the x1 port for?

I did change it to D-Bus in the Naza assistant software and all the control mode switches work properly according to the software (gps atti and manual). the led also cycles through the modes if I switch through the modes.

When I fly in GPS, the Phantom tries to drift to one direction quite heavily so that I need to counteract this movement with the sticks or it will just vanish to nowhere.

I have a video of the behavior which I might be able to upload later today.

Does it fly ok in ATTI?

Have you tried a compass calibration?

edit: x1 is for gimbal control/gain adjustment

Zwyser

It flies ok in atti, but I think something is wrong there too. Can't really describe it as I could not fly too long in that mode as I did not want to risk anything. I actually did calibrate the compass just before take off but will try again and report back.

If I unplug the compass, will it fly without that information just based on gps data? In this way, I could try to find out if the compass is the culprit.

chipwich

FYI, X1 outputs on the F2 port for gimbal pitch. Gains should be set to 0 if using a brushless gimbal controller.

SMP

SMP:

Here's my mixer line for that:

GIMBAL (+100%)S1 Switch(SA↑) (GIMBAL)

Explanation:
"GIMBAL"= channel 8(label/name in Taranis) on my X8R receiver
"S1" = the left knob and is the "source" of the control
"Switch(SA up)" = the S1 ONLY works when SA up is active

So what you need to do is to make a mixer line entry for your gimbal control channel and change the "source" to "RS". It should look like this:

CHx(or the name you gave it), (+100%), RS, --------, "your text"

Leave out a switch unless you want a switch to control RS like I have done.

Then, when you get the gimbal tilting, maybe it goes to far up or not far enough down, etc, using the RS slider, so adjust the "weight" and "offset" of that mixer line to make it go to the limits you want. Probably a bit of trial and error and would look like this:

CHx (+90%)CHx, ---, Offset (-20%), (VIDEO-A) ((Important parts are the (+90%)[the weight] and Offset(-20%) ))

Hope this helps,
Ron

Guys you are the best!! Thank you Glacier!! Gringer!!

chipwich

Just to add to what Ron posted, on my QAV540G, in addition to whatever offset you use, I'm using weight of 85% and 7 second Delay both up and down. The delay is definitely personal preference, but without one, the gimbal moves too fast for a smooth pan up or down without a cut scene. If you want to keep the pan in the video, I would think about 7 seconds is the quickest that you would want it to go, and after watching some recent videos, I'll probably slow it down further, maybe 10 seconds or longer. I'm no pro, bu it seems that when the pans are too quick, that you loose frames and that it looks mechanical IMO.

multiman

HELP NEEDED PLEASE
I have a Taranis radio I set up with a Naza V2 as per the instruction above with A Gaui 330x quad
All it wants to do is flip over violently
I had the exact same problem when I tried to program the Taranis with the Original flight controller that came with the Gaui 330X
It wants to Flip and it very unstable also if you give it left,right back or forward controls it want to throttle up
Ive checked and double checked the setting as posted in the first post and NO luck

I was flying this same quad with the orginal Gaui FC a few weeks ago with a DX8 basic set up no problem

It it the Taranis radio? Could it be defective
Im completely frustrated
Im still kinda new to the hobby and only have basic radio set up experience with the DX8 I previously had but man Im ready to Chuck that Taranis

I have a Taranis radio I set up with a Naza V2 as per the instruction above with A Gaui 330x quad I NEED HELP PLEASE
All it wants to do is flip over violently
I had the exact same problem when I tried to program the Taranis with the Original flight controller that came with the Gaui 330X
It wants to Flip and it very unstable also if up give it left,right back or forward controls it want to throttle up
Ive checked and double checked the setting and NO luck

I was flying this same quad with the orginal Gaui FC a feww weeks ago with a DX8 no problem

It it the Taranis radio? Could it be defective
Im completely frustrated

If your flipping violently on takeoff, check that your prop rotation is correct. You could have the push props pulling and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

multiman

Rotation seems fine
Also does not explain the throttle up problem??
If I hole the quad on a table from the bottom up can feel the motors throttle up hard when you give it even slightest input with the up Elev for example
And up can feel the quad trying to push hard to the forward right position

When mine flip during tryout flights (more times than I care to say) it's always esc motor control wire going to the wrong plugin on the fc.

chipwich

back to my original question
Could the Taranis be defective?

Doubtful. Sounds like your motors/props are spinning the wrong way, or that the input direction is incorrect. In Assistant, I would run the motor check and in calibration that the control the inputs are do not need reversing.

multiman

I tried doing the motor check in the Assistant but the motor will not turn
But I turned the throttle off and on a number of times and can visually confirm the props are tuning the proper direction
May be Im missing something
One thing I was not 100% clear about was the whole Xbus connection thing NOT SURE IF THIS is messing things up
I connected all the wires from the receiver to the NAZA and also the Sbus
And I also tried with out the Sbus and with only the Sbus and no other wires from the receiver
But it does not explain why I could not get the stock Gaui controller to work and be having the exact same problems with NAZA as well

Man this is frustrating