Basic Setup Instructions for FrSky Taranis, X8R and Naza-M V2

gringers

Preoccupied
Disclaimer: I am definitely what you would class as an amateur at this so I don’t know whether this is the best way to set up this equipment. In fact, I didn’t even own the gear until a couple of days ago!

With that said, I couldn’t find a single step by step guide to help me get a basic set up running (but I did find a lot of people doing a lot of head scratching) so I thought the way I came up with would at least provide a discussion point/point of reference going forward.

Binding the Tx and Rx:

1. Turn on the Tx, ensure the right model is selected by pressing the menu button once.
2. Press the page button to enter menu page 2 (of 13). Scroll down to the ‘Internal RF’ settings.
3. Ensure mode is set to D16, channel range to CH1-8, Receiver 01. Stay on this menu in anticipation of step 5 below.
4. Power on the rx whilst depressing the f/s button on it.
5. Back to the Tx - you now select [Bind] and a beep should indicate that the rx and Tx have successfully bound
6. Power of Rx and then Tx. Power on Tx and then Rx
7. Green LED should be showing on the Rx indicating the bind process was successful

Preliminary setup of the Tx:

Go to the Mixer Menu (page 6/13)
By default, the channels on the Taranis look like this:
CH1 – THR
CH2 – AIL
CH3 – ELE
CH4 – RUD
What we want (using an sbus connection to the naza) is:
CH1 – AIL
CH2 – ELE
CH3 – THR
CH4 – RUD
Additionally we will also need
CH5 – for gimbal control if you have one or if not gain adjustment
CH6 – for IOC commands (or gain adjustment if using a gimbal)
CH7 – for Control Modes (Manual/Atti/GPS)

To get the set up right:
1. Press and hold Enter on the first channel (CH1 – THR) and select edit from the sub menu
2. Move down to source using the +/- buttons. Then hit enter so it starts flashing
3. Use the +/- buttons to scroll through until youhave AIL as the selected source.
4. Press ‘enter’ to confirm and then ‘exit’ twice to go back to the previous screen
5. Repeat the process for channels 2 and 3 so that they are set to ELE and THR respectively. CH4-RUD does not need to eb changed
6. Next move to CH5 (currently empty). Press ‘enter’ to select, move down to ‘Source’ setting and press enter again to define a value. It’s probably best to choose a variable switch for this as it’s either going to be used for adjusting gains or gimbal control – 2 or 3 position switches just aren’t suitable! I’m going to use S1, (the variable knob on the left hand side) for this example.
7.Next move to CH6 and assign it a switch in the source as you did for CH5. This needs to be one of the three way switches because this will be used for IOC (Off/Course Lock/Home Lock). I chose Switch ‘SG’ as my source.
8. For CH7 you also need a three way switch which will be used for Control Mode Switching (Manual/ Atti/GPS). I selected switch SE as my source here.
9. Finally, with your 7 channels set up, head to the servos menu page (7/13) where you will need to Invert channel 6 by scrolling down to CH6, pressing enter followed by ‘+’ three times to highlight the ‘direction’ field. Press enter to select ‘INV’ and exit to leave. Changing the direction of this channel ensures that when your IOC switch (SG) is in the up position (as they all should be when starting up), IOC is in the off position. Moving the IOC switch to the middle will then enable course lock mode and moving it to the down position will enable home lock.

Connecting to the Assistant Software and Calibrating

1) Connect your powered up copter to your PC via the LED module. Open the Assistant software.
2) Check and calibrate your command sticks and X1 (gimbal or gain adjustment) through the Basic/RC section of the Assistant.
3) If you're not using a gimbal (or IOC), you can go to the Basic/Gain page of the Assistant and change whichever remote adjust drop down menus you wish to either X1 (or X2)
4) Go to Advanced/IOC page (if using IOC) and check the box. Flick your SG switch to ensure that it correctly highlights off/course lock/home lock in the up/middle/down positions.
5) Go to Advanced/Gimbal page if using a gimbal and switch it to ‘on’. Check the gimbal operates as expected with the ‘S1’ switch we set up on CH5 earlier.

Configuring the Control Mode Switch

1) Now go back to Basic/RC page which shows the graphical control Mode Switch Slider. Use the drop down menu to select Manual for the right hand tab. This ‘Manual’ tab should be highlighted when the switch is in the up position (but you will notice it doesn’t). Similarly, when the switch is in the middle positon, Atti should be highlighted (not failsafe)and when in the down position, GPS should be highlighted.
2) To fix this ‘alignment’ issue, go to the servos menu on the Tx (page 7/13) and scroll down to CH7. Select the min value field which is set to -100 and set it to -64 (minus 64). Similarly, select the max value field and change from 100 to 64 (positive 64). Finally select the PPM center field and change the value to 1530.
3) Now exit out of the servos menu and go back to the assistant. You should now see the graphical control mode switch working as we want and highlighting the appropriate mode dependent upon the switch position.

Setting Failsafe (for when the rx isn't receiving a signal from the tx)
1) Go the model menu (page 2/13)
2) Scroll down to Failsafe Mode
3) Select ‘Custom’ and then ‘Set’
4) Scroll down to channel 3 (THR) and hit enter.
5) Move the throttle to just over half way (hover). You should see the slider move and value change.
6) Hit Enter and then press the f/s button on the rx. The green light on the rx should flash twice.
7) Switch off the tx and check that in the assistant the control mode switch slider moves to failsafe and the throttle sets itself at just over 50%.
8) Failsafe is set. Now choose your enhanced failsafe mode in the Assistant.

Setting a 2 Position Switch for Failsafe (Panic Button!)

Let’s say that we want to use switch ‘SF’ as an immediate forced failsafe/panic button - no matter what mode we’re in and without having to turn the Tx off:
1) First let’s create a custom curve. Go to the curves menu (page 8/13) select CV1 and enter the following values into the Y field. Pt 1 = -54 (minus54). Pt 2=0, Pt3=49, Pt4=0 and Pt5=49.
2) Back in the Mixer Menu (page 6/13) we now have to go down to CH7, press and hold enter and then select ‘Insert After’.
3) Go down to Source and set it as SE
4) Go to Weight and set bit as -30 (minus 30)
5) Go to Curve and set it as CV1
5) Finally go to Switch and select SF(downarrow)
6) Exit out of the mix and check that toggling the SF switch to the down position whilst in any flight mode, puts the slider to the failsafe position.
7) Done!

Phew! I hope that helps somebody at least! Of course let me know if you spot any mistakes or have suggestions for improvements/advanced setups.

three6ty

Hi,
This just came up in a google search for me looking for this info. Superb info there. Thanks very much.
I'm about to buy a taranis. Jumping ship from a DX8
Cheers, Rich

Last edited by a moderator:

gringers

Preoccupied
Hi,
This just came up in a google search for me looking for this info. Superb info there. Thanks very much.
I'm about to buy a taranis. Jumping ship from a DX8
Cheers, Rich

No problem - glad it was of help! I need to get into some of its more advanced features soon - the rest of life has been making too many demands this week!

Oh and welcome to the forums!

gringers

Preoccupied
Pleased it's proving helpful for some of you :)

I was going to edit my original post a little including step #6 in 'setting the failsafe' because I've since realized that pressing the F/S button on the rx isn't necessary if you're using the X8R (although equally, it doesn't hurt anything if you do include this step). From what I understand, it is a necessary step for some older receivers.

However, I don't seem able to edit my original post.....am I being an idiot or is it some kind of forum feature that prevents editing of posts after a certain amount of time?

paktazh

hi guys I could not make mine to play music can anyone share me his EN or help me to play music in its back ground also playing the music track thanks

Here were the questions I had:

I didn't want to gum up the group build thread, but it pertains to bart's suggestion to start off simple and get flying in manual mode. I didn't post there because I'm sure there are hundreds of variables with RX/TX options, so just figured I'd wave a flag here for anyone familiar with the Taranis tx:

I have a quick question about setting up just the manual flight mode (without any of the advanced features for now):

1. I'm using a taranis FrSky tx & X8R rx.

2. I found a great step by step thread from gringers here:

http://www.multirotorforums.com/sho...tructions-for-FrSky-Taranis-X8R-and-Naza-M-V2

3. I want to set up the radio like bart has suggested with only the basics set up at first & the thread above walks through the failsafe/gimble/flight modes right off the bat, so I need to modify a little bit and have a few questions.

4. So I think I need to set up the first 4 channels:

CH1 – AIL

CH2 – ELE

CH3 – THR

CH4 – RUD

5. At this point I get a little confused. Do I skip over channel 5 & 6 and jump right to setting up channel 7 (which determines the flight mode), but If I only want it set to manual for now, how do I go about that?

6. Lastly, for a failsafe (if the craft looses a signal), shouldn't I have something set up for that right off the bat? I think the X8R rx has some built in failsafe, but really I have no idea what that is, or what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gringers

Preoccupied
:encouragement: pleased it's of use :encouragement:

5. At this point I get a little confused. Do I skip over channel 5 & 6 and jump right to setting up channel 7 (which determines the flight mode), but If I only want it set to manual for now, how do I go about that?

6. Lastly, for a failsafe (if the craft looses a signal), shouldn't I have something set up for that right off the bat? I think the X8R rx has some built in failsafe, but really I have no idea what that is, or what it does.

Hey gomotomoto,

5 - Don't skip channel 5 & 6. It's easier to set up now whilst you're in the tx menus and working through logically. If you're keeping basic, I would use channel 5 for remote gain adjustment (which I found very useful when you're first trying to get the 'feel' for how your new build acts/reacts).
Setup channel 6 for IOC (you have to/should do it at some stage and at this point involves about an extra 8 clicks on your tx!). You can just leave the assigned switch in the 'off' position if you so wish until you decide you want to try out IOC (if you ever do, personally I don't like it!)

Even if you only want to fly in manual, you still need to set up your control mode switch properly ('Configuring the Control Mode Switch' in the first post). Once setup, it's up to you whether you choose to keep the switch in manual or use the other modes. Personally unless you're really confident with flying multis already, I'd definitely take my first flight in ATTI or even GPS if everything looks good.

6 - That's the 'Setting Failsafe' part of my 'how-to' :p By the time you get to step (7) of that section, you'll know from looking at how the assistant software reacts as to what happens when your tx looses signal (or in this case, you switch it off)

Hope that makes sense, shout if not!

Paul

chipwich

I've made three changes to this configuration. I have moved IOC to SB and flight modes to SC. Why? Because that mirrors the standard Phantom controller, and more importantly puts flight modes on the switch that all of my other aircraft use. Lastly, I use LS for gimbal pitch because I don't have to remove a hand from the sticks to reach a knob. I will grant you that the knobs are of higher quality on the Taranis than the sliders, which need (and will have) an upgrade. The sliders need more friction IMO. But for now, since I use my GoPro for FPV and to frame shots, that is not so much of an issue. Cheers.

gringers

Preoccupied
I've made three changes to this configuration. I have moved IOC to SB and flight modes to SC. Why? Because that mirrors the standard Phantom controller, and more importantly puts flight modes on the switch that all of my other aircraft use. Lastly, I use LS for gimbal pitch because I don't have to remove a hand from the sticks to reach a knob. I will grant you that the knobs are of higher quality on the Taranis than the sliders, which need (and will have) an upgrade. The sliders need more friction IMO. But for now, since I use my GoPro for FPV and to frame shots, that is not so much of an issue. Cheers.

Yup, you should definitely choose your switches to suit your own personal preferences.

I actually have gimbal control on RS for the ease of access reason but I used S1 as an example in the first post mainly because as you point out, the sliders on the taranis aren't that great (one of it's few flaws as far as I can tell)

gringers

Preoccupied
.....snip....I don't seem able to edit my original post.....am I being an idiot or is it some kind of forum feature that prevents editing of posts after a certain amount of time?

Check to see you are still signed in.

Yup definitely still signed in, can edit my last post in this thread but not older ones so I guess it's a forum feature. Perhaps if Bart or a mod sees this they can help :)

Just a cool little trick that I learned when selecting the switch for the source:

Once you've hit "enter" for the switch source -- and the source is selectable -- you can just toggle the switch you want to use and the tx will pick it up dynamically.

Give it a try, very cool!

gringers

Preoccupied
Just a cool little trick that I learned when selecting the switch for the source:

Once you've hit "enter" for the switch source -- and the source is selectable -- you can just toggle the switch you want to use and the tx will pick it up dynamically.

Give it a try, very cool!

Yup, I should have included that as well! Oh for edit ability!