Hello from Western Massachusetts

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That tape trick is awesome. Can't recall where I first saw it. Some video I think. I still need to build my test mount out of the Swiffer.

Do you have any idea what your quad weight is now that it's together? Also, did you program the ESCs or were they pre-programmed?

jbrumberg

Almost 1450 grams. My target weight was 1400 so I am pretty happy. I was pretty realistic about weight (I had a small sailboat.). I'll definitely be able to carry my #808.

The ESC's were pre-programmed, but not with SimonK. I'll get there when I get there. These things were flying before SimonK. I suspect there is something to do with the ESC calibration process that I did not do correctly.

I have plenty of time to figure it out.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I ended up doing mine with simonk because I had ordered the part to flash them. But if I hadn't, I know it was recommended to program them with a card (or by using Tx stick movements) that sets them up more specifically for use with multirotors. It's something to do with braking and some other options that are more heli/airplane focused when stock.

Either way, I think you're probably right about the ESC cal. Sounds like a more likely culprit.

mbowser

Hi all, first post here, hope I'm not cutting in on your thread but I saw that you were from VT and MA. I'm in Central NH now, but I grew up in Southampton MA, and went to 7th and 8th grade with one of the Perkins family from Cummington MA. I believe his dad owned the hardware store at the time, but it's been a long time.

Anyway, my 13 year old son and I have spent the past 2 weeks building up our first quadcopter. We based our build off Oddcopter.com's Easy DIY Build except we used the HobbyKing X650F glass fiber frame instead of the Turnigy H.A.L frame and we also originally had a i86 flight controller but eventually swapped it out with a KK2.1 (with v1.6 firmware) when we couldn't get the thing airborne with the i86.

We had a bunch of issues including 2 bad ESCs (Turnigy plush 30a) that made life frustrating because it wasn't readily apparent that they were bad. I finally ordered a few more because we just couldn't seem to calibrate throttle on the ESC's through the flight controller (we did use the programming card to set the initial values though). We found that the ESC throttle calibration was the most challenging part because it wasn't clear from the instructions what sounds we should be listening for (I'm clearly a bit thick when it comes to that sort of tone based programming). The result was that as soon as we applied sufficient throttle the quad would tip right over every time, and not always in the same direction.

Well, after many days of frustration (I felt really bad because this was my son's Christmas present and he was pretty dejected) we finally got the thing airborne with a reasonable degree of control. Of course in NH it is cold and snowy right now and we weren't prepared to risk crashing the thing in fresh snow, so we did our tests on our bed. As was said in a previous post, once you have lift off, it becomes readily apparent that this thing should not be inside. We did a bunch of foot-off-the-bed tests to confirm the controls were not reversed and called it a day. We took a little video that I posted here of our first liftoff (and a minor crash when it bounced on the bed).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKddhe0qrp4

Anyway, it's good to know others are out there working on similar projects, I'm looking forward to hearing and learning more about this hobby from everyone.
-matt

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Welcome aboard Matt. I am building a quad based on the frame you used. There is a thread about it over in the beginner lounge.

Helpful to hear that a non-obvious issue turned out to be the ESCs. Without any indicators other than the beeping tones, it's tough to be confident in the validity of their programming.

Good luck with the build.

Scott

mbowser

Welcome aboard Matt. I am building a quad based on the frame you used. There is a thread about it over in the beginner lounge.
Scott

I went through that whole thread last night, nice job. I like foam you put on the runners and the struts you put on the legs to stiffen them up. Even with the on-the-bed testing we've been doing, I've been worried that a hard landing would break them easily.

I'm also jealous that you found a snow free place to fly... I expect I won't be flying outside for sometime.

jbrumberg

Matt- Welcome and thanks for the input and advice. It is appreciated. Watching your video gave me the confidence to retry the "Indoor Bedroom Hover Test" once I go through recalibration and rechecking everything. The weather will certainly not be cooperating for awhile for outdoor flying of this build. I still need to set up my landing gear for outdoor flight as well. Pipe insulation looks tacky, but it works. I have my "toy" quads for that, and I still need to shovel off the deck for their launching and landing site. I will fly them in inclement weather. I made a poncho for my Tx out of an old shower curtain.

Welcome too Philip. I guess you do not have to worry about snow... Rain and wind and other tropical weather challenges, but not snow.

We are all in this together.

jbrumberg

Went through all the set up procedures again. The FC responds correctly on the receiver test and the props spin correctly and respond appropriately to stick input commands. I tried the ESC calibration as recommended by KK with the wire off technique and got all the what I believe to be the correct beeps w/o positive results. I removed the props and try the ESC calibration procedure with Tx at full throttle, again with all what I believe to be the correct beeps. Arm the FC. throttle it up, and all the motors start simultaneously. Put the props on- the 9047's on the CW motors and 9047R's on the CCW motors. Arm the FC. Auto level off. Full Power Scotty and NaDa DooDaa. It just sat that props 'a spinnin'. Now Matt got me thinking. Off go the props. Fire up the FC again and get the motors going at approximately 20% throttle. I put the auto level on and start to move the quad around. Motors kick in and out to compensate, but I notice that one of the motors is kicking in and out. Deactivate the self leveling and lower the throttle and I notice that one of the motors (#1) is not functioning consistently- cutting out and stopping earlier than the other three. So more research is needed, but it looks like I am getting close. It could be the motor or the ESC that is causing the problem. PITA, but part of the process. I guess that I need to think about some replacement parts already. More research, but I have the time.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Jay, while those other issue may still be causing issue - one thing I noticed in the previous post...

the prop that has the R at the end should be on the clockwise motor. The non-R on the CCW motors. R for right-hand rotation. Many people mistake it for being reverse. I'll tell you what would be super-helpful....

HOW ABOUT LISTING IT AS CLOCKWISE!!! Seriously! Is there really the need to decipher the damn prop rotation? Is this really the place for cloak and dagger??? :)

jbrumberg

Scott- You may be a life saver. Nowhere did I see mention of prop assignment according to the "R" designation anywhere. The way that thing just sat there going nowhere props turning was maddening. Maybe just maybe. I'll give it a shot. Thanks- Jay.

Eureka!!!!!!!!:triumphant: Scott- I owe you a cold one or two or more :). Yes I could achieve a bedroom hover with some degree of control :). That #1 Motor cutting out was at a really low throttle setting- way below flight settings. Apparently my ESC calibrations attempts were solid. It's too bad it's too wet outside for fine tuning. I do not want to push my luck today. I guess that I should set up my landing gear for outdoor operations. This is great. Thanks again. Jay

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Glad to see that worked. I'm sure there will be fine tuning (or not, the KK2.1 is supposed to be pretty well sorted from the get-go), but at least you now know that you're close!

Congrats!!! Won't be long now...

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Woo Hoo Jay!!!!

Glad the situation was resolved!!! I had a similar problem on my Nano QX.....it wouldn't take off. I called Horizon Hobby and the gentleman coached me through seeing which prop was CCW vs CW. Turns out I just had the wrong prop on the wrong motor! I'll be placing orders for my remaining stuff today so "FINGERS CROSSED" I should have my stuff by next weekend or early the week after. Can't wait to start doing all this stuff soon!

Mike :)

jbrumberg

This is the benefit of goal oriented group process. I posted as much information as I could to give as many people an idea of what I was doing and with what I was dealing. Many eyes and ideas on the project. It sure helped me. I hope I can and/or continue to help others as well. I will probably do a little weatherizing in the near future so I can do some additional "fine tuning" outdoors, but there is a nasty, sloppy, icy weather system coming in tonight-tomorrow that may help knock down some snow and help clear out more test flight area. The KK2 boards are pretty well basically tuned; but as usual to this hobby (We all tweak those basic adjustments.) I have seen quite a few standard basic adjustments to stock settings with which to experiment with increased experience and comfort level. We'll see because I'll share what I learn.

Good luck on your build Mike. :) I still fly my "toy" quads every chance I get.

jbrumberg

Getting ready for that outdoor fine tuning session. Landing struts are a "go" for now; tacky, but functional. I do not like how securely that "fancy" velcro strap holds the battery. I'll be adding some velcro tape to the battery and to the attachment plate for a more secure fit for the present. Now the weather watch, wait, and ....

Attachments

• DSC01587.jpg
    DSC01587.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 245

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I think you may end up appreciating the tacky, but also more forgiving landing with that foam on there.

Also, with the dome protecting the electronics you can probably brave the outdoors, as long as you have an area that you feel comfortable lifting off from (flat for setting the base level on startup).

Im thinking that if I can get to a park that has an area free of huge drifts, I may be able to get outside sooner than March!!! :). After crashing as much as I did, I'm not as worried as much about the snow as I was before...

mbowser

The propeller direction took me a while to figure out as well. I ended up having to slowly spin each one in cw or ccw direction to make sure I would have downward thrust. Jay, glad you were able to get the quad airborne and hovering. I'm going to have to fix the mount for my battery because the thing slides all over the place and throws off stability. I like motopreserves (Scott?) battery "keeper" tray.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Yep. Scott, that's me.

I went ent with that battery tray because after all the reading and researching these Lipo batteries, and the explosions that seem to be lurking around every corner, it was time for something more secure. I think Jays idea of Velcro directly on the battery is probably a good one. Mine holds nice now with only one strap, but it's heavier than just using Velcro alone.

jbrumberg

I use velcro as SOP on all my 1S LiPo's for my X1's. I used velcro on my 2S LiPo's on my Coax heli until it went MIA without problems (MIA and operationally). I'll probably wrap a little extra clear wrapping/duct tape around my 3S batteries for this unit for a little extra protection before I add the velcro tape. Sometimes the velcro tape attaches more strongly than the wrapping tape around the LiPo's or at least on all those stickers on the batteries.

Scott I had that tacky pipe insulation, wooden dowels, rubber bands, and those wiffle golf balls on one of my heli set ups. That was tacky, but it worked really well... and all kinds of parts went flying when I landed "roughly", but the chassis stayed intact. It's probably mostly intact still, maybe, if I ever find it.