Group Build 2014, DJI NAZA/F450 Quadcopter!

jbrumberg

It's normal to be frightened of a new experience. It's also exciting. A lot of psychogenic biochemicals are kicking around. Sometimes individuals add to the natural mix as well. :drunk::very_drunk: That can get expensive. :upset:

fbiv1

I have followed along and watched all the videos. The f450 is complete. I checked the wiring connections with volt meter and I checked each esc motor combo with the receiver and radio no problem work great. Tried to program Dx6i and AR 6210 but could not get to work off anything but failsafe. Changed it DX9 and AR8000 now the Naza just flashes red non stop. any ideas. I can not get the motors to initialize as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. The weather is finally getting warm and I would really like to fly this weekend.

cjacobs

fbiv1 did you do a compass calibration? Could be the reason for red flashing light

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cjacobs

Finally flew mine here over the weekend. Wow what a rush. Got about 17 min flight. Flipped the receiver off to test failsafe. (warning: read/watch videos to have an idea of what happens when you swith to failsafe) I freaked. I thought for sure my UAS was gone. I thought it was going to fly up, up, up, and away. Wow anyway got some video hope to get it edited this week.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
While I'm doing the prep work for the next video, if anyone has any questions please post them and I'll try to address them in the video, kind of like viewer mail :)

fbiv1

lipo is charged and I checked it and the charge was full. Have not done the compass did not feel that far yet will try that . Thanks

(hope this is not a dupe -- thought I had posted it)
The die is cast for the next iteration: SunnySky 3508 700kv motors enroute, Aimdroix aluminum (extended) arms ordered, props from 12x3.8 to 14x4.7 ordered. That'll make it a 550.

Thinking of moving to a FW550 frame but with only 4 arms, i.e. keep it as a quad with bigger center structure.
Questions: anyone see a problem there? Will the symmetry be as a quad? Looks like it would be.
Anyone have 550 frame plates they'd like to part with?

Gil

cjacobs

lipo is charged and I checked it and the charge was full. Have not done the compass did not feel that far yet will try that . Thanks

I think if you do a compass calibration that should take care of the red flash

I also have my 550 built. Deciding if I want to build all the way out with another naza or run the course with the 450 and bring the components over. It's really interesting, I put the 550 together in a fraction of the time it took me to do the 450 and all the solder connections are bright and bulbous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.jon

Thanks for this thread, tons of useful info for a newbie!

However one thing I can't find anywhere is the inner height of the F450 frame, the assembly space between the bottom and top frame plates. Could someone measure it please?

gringers

Preoccupied
Thanks for this thread, tons of useful info for a newbie!

However one thing I can't find anywhere is the inner height of the F450 frame, the assembly space between the bottom and top frame plates. Could someone measure it please?

36mm

gringers

Preoccupied
I just realised you said the F450 and I measured the F550. However, it's got to be the same as I think they both use the same arms (which the boards attach to top and bottom) don't they?

.jon

Yes, they should share that measurement.

Does anyone have experience with EMAX-branded parts? I wonder how they would compare to stock DJI ESCs and motors, and whether I should just go for T-Motors or similar quality parts.

Rupe

Thought I'd share some bits I've changed/added to my F550.

A folding GPS stalk (eBay, needed some copper grease on the thread but works well).

View attachment 16227 View attachment 16228

Some legs (came from the US with imperial fixings. Need to replace them with some metric stuff.)

View attachment 16229

A cradle I've constructed for my Canon s95 to take stills (made out of glass fibre).
I've attached an FPV system to it so I can see what it's seeing.

View attachment 16230 View attachment 16231

And a 24" cymbal bag to carry it all.
I have to remove a screw from the legs and swing them in to make it fit,
but the 8" props don't have to be removed.
I can even wear it on my back with the straps and carry it on my motorbike!

View attachment 16232

Attachments

• 2014-02-14 20.13.04.jpg
    2014-02-14 20.13.04.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 2014-02-14 20.14.08.jpg
    2014-02-14 20.14.08.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 224
  • 2014-02-14 20.15.10.jpg
    2014-02-14 20.15.10.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 210
  • 2014-02-14 20.16.44.jpg
    2014-02-14 20.16.44.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 2014-02-14 20.17.13.jpg
    2014-02-14 20.17.13.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 261
  • 2014-02-14 20.23.20.jpg
    2014-02-14 20.23.20.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 447

.jon

Cymbal bag is a brilliant idea indeed! I'll be moving my copters on bike (the manly version with human engine), and a cymbal bag means I can ride out without my trailer. Nice!

Rupe

The cymbal bag *is* a great idea, but sadly not mine. I asked a question in the general discussion forum. It does need to be a 24" bag to accommodate an F550 (I tried a few alternatives first).

Yep - keen eyes, Bart. Carpet tape. It's good stuff.