XAircraft SuperX

Zirt57

My SX is rock steady on GPS hold, with minimal wind(5-8 mph). Rock steady defined as a VERY tight 3ft circle.... If any movement or drift at all. I rarely get a 1ft variation in up or down altitude, but for the most part it stays put.

BUT... I have noticed when I drive to a new location and fly, as close as a 10 miles away, the GPS hold seems to"hunt" around a little more when in a hoover. Maybe drift to a 5-6ft circle in hold. So I would land and recalibrate the compass then fly again, and it would be rock solid again. I thought it was weird that just a small change like that would make such a difference. Strange I know. So now I recalibrate with every flight, and rarely have any problems.

Have you considered something like that?....

While this map doesn't show your location, this map may give you an idea why you have to recalibrate even if you only change locations by miles. http://www.geometrics.com/assets/images/usmag-poster.pdf

Jeff

Electro 2

tHIS IS ON MY FUTABA RADIO the expo -45 the one in gui is 1.0:livid:

No expo of any sort is necessary or used an any channel with the SuperX. Could cause a difficult to fly condition that hampers your ability to control the aircraft. I suppose if you want "cooler" stick response in yaw, a dual rate step-down on yaw might be handy, but really, I find this unessecary. I have an 80% of yaw stick-throw dual rate programmed in on both radios used with the SX, but have yet to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why not use expo? That is how you can smooth out the center stick response. Maybe not on throttle, but certainly on elevator and aileron. I elevators and aileron on a switch for various expo settings and yaw on another switch for other expo settings. Works great depending on how I want it to feel,especially in manual flight mode.

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Why not use expo? That is how you can smooth out the center stick response. Maybe not on throttle, but certainly on elevator and aileron. I elevators and aileron on a switch for various expo settings and yaw on another switch for other expo settings. Works great depending on how I want it to feel,especially in manual flight mode.

Dhardjono flies a quad! no expo required

David

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
It doesnt matter if its a quad, a heli or an octo, people still use expo to smooth out the controls.

Lets see how many rotary pilots stick their hand up to using expo's :highly_amused: excluding Dhardjono He's already crashed!

David

Dhardjono

Well i only put yaw expo to 145 nothing else .:frog: But that crash cost mea lot i order extra extra parts for more crash to come maybe i will change my username to crash master 2 :tennis:

Stacky

seriously dude, tahoelight has been doing this for years, he knows his stuff. There are some very talented pro fliers out there using expo when they are working.
This guy being one of them and to quote his own words " I use a lot of expo on my sticks when flying." You can find that quote on one of his tutorial videos on his vimeo account.

Lets see how many rotary pilots stick their hand up to using expo's :highly_amused: excluding Dhardjono He's already crashed!

David

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
To say you dont need expo is like saying you dont use a condom because you're able to pull out in time, every time. Having said that.... on controllers that see the percentage of the throttle position and react accordingly(DJI, SuperX) I dont think they need a throttle curve, or perhaps a curve can mess things up. But on Hoverfly, you need this since the throttle is relatively linear to your position of the stick. If this doesnt make sense think of it this way.... On hoverfly if you have enough power you will take off at 25% throttle with 25% throttle. On DJI, and assuming XA, it would still require that you give it 50% throttle to take off. In a way this is better because you can rely on the heli going up or down based on where your stick is at. So that's just throttle. In regards to EXPO on the other channels, since they are read directly from stick position, they will react much more aggressively with NO expo as to adding expo. So if you are a 3d pilot and like the snap then thats one thing but most of us on here are shooting for smoothness. Expo is exactly what gives you that precise control so that a small movement of the sticks gives you a small gentle correction, yet moving the sticks all the way still gives you authority over the heli in the event you need it. With expo the output is still 0-100, unless you set it to go over in the radio, so the FC still gets a range that is the same regardless. Or am I missing the point here?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Properly tuning expo is the only way to REALLy get the most out of a rig.
Anyone who doesn’t use expo is either VERY, VERY VERY talented with hand control, or stupid.

RCJardin

Not so new and improving
Out of interest (I am new also) how does it work? I have been advised to dial in 40 per cent but if I am not happy is 50 per cent more or less control?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Expo is not more or less control. You still get 100% at the ends of the sticks (if you have your end point set to 100) Expo changes the amount of travel from linear to either accelerated or decelerated curves.
Check this:

View attachment 15171

Attachments

• ExpoCurves.jpg
    ExpoCurves.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 475

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
Okay I fly an X650 and don't use Expo, others that fly the X650 that I have asked don't fly expo, I do have a 20% expo set up on my radio but never used it! and not to slay a sacred cow (It is Christmas) I recently found this article that perhaps the more knowledgeable could respond to.

It seems to me through the many videos that I watched that many people don't really understand what the "Expo" (Exponential) function does on an RC transmitter. Most people believe that the expo will smoothen/dampen out the movements of the airplain and make it not so sensitive, which is not true, in fact, partially, the expo will MAKE the airplane more sensitive and twitchy. As I am studying engineering, I see exponential curves almost everyday, so I will try my best to explain how they work.

The web site this seemingly outlandish statement comes from is here:

http://andrewbotros.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/what-is-expo-in-rc-airplanes.html

David

When I put in a - expo, the sticks become less sensitive to reaction near center stick. I like soft controles. also, keep in mind that i fly in manual mode when filming. It is a personal preference. I am not sure how you can say expo can't dampen out the movements. When we fly these electronic units, they can move with an electronic feel to it, especially with auto level an gps response, but lower some expo and small movements on center stick won't even move the copter. Do an experiment. Add + expo and try to fly smooth video clips. Then add - expo and take some video footage. Report back and tell us what you think. Carfull flying with + expo. No you don't need to use expo, but I do think using expo helps in many filming situations. HFP (not super X) offers something to smooth out the reaction for how fast auto level (Atti) returns to center. That is a great feature!

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
When I put in a - expo, the sticks become less sensitive to reaction near center stick. I like soft controles. also, keep in mind that i fly in manual mode when filming. It is a personal preference. I am not sure how you can say expo can't dampen out the movements. When we fly these electronic units, they can move with an electronic feel to it, especially with auto level an gps response, but lower some expo and small movements on center stick won't even move the copter. Do an experiment. Add + expo and try to fly smooth video clips. Then add - expo and take some video footage. Report back and tell us what you think. Carfull flying with + expo. No you don't need to use expo, but I do think using expo helps in many filming situations. HFP (not super X) offers something to smooth out the reaction for how fast auto level (Atti) returns to center. That is a great feature!

I think your videos are fantastic. :encouragement:

David

Av8Chuck

David

Okay I fly an X650 and don't use Expo, others that fly the X650 that I have asked don't fly expo, I do have a 20% expo set up on my radio but never used it! and not to slay a sacred cow (It is Christmas) I recently found this article that perhaps the more knowledgeable could respond to.

The web site this seemingly outlandish statement comes from is here:

http://andrewbotros.blogspot.com.au/2010/06/what-is-expo-in-rc-airplanes.html

David

David if you've never used expo why would you be opposed to it, more importantly why would you advise someone for or against something you don't use?

I'm more knowledgeable, that's why you shouldn't trust 90% of what you read online...

X650Mouse

Take no prisoners
David if you've never used expo why would you be opposed to it, more importantly why would you advise someone for or against something you don't use?

I'm more knowledgeable, that's why you shouldn't trust 90% of what you read online...

No need to put words in my mouth or re-write my posts! I'm not opposed to it! and am yet to be convinced it will provide a benefit to me, but once shown will be happy to apply it!

I don't think I have advised anybody not to use it! how could I advise anybody to use or not use it as I don't know much about it?

I offered here an alternative view that I found, it is up to an individual to make their own assessments, if you shouldn't trust 90% of what you read online how did the application of expo gain ground?

Anyway it's Christmas and the last thing I want is to create dis-harmony amongst the members but freedom of speech should not take a back seat to one's opinions

David