WARNING - Firmware 5.24

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I think I'd rather go Hoverfly than MK. I wonder how many more Wookong updates there will be now the new DJI FC is coming out? Also wondering what the new FC will be like.

Also, Droider, did you have the IOC stuff enabled? I was going to try disabling that next, but if it makes no difference I'll just downgrade again like you.

hexacop

HexaCop
I had some email exchange today with DJI support and they have advised me to send it back to them.
Will let you know how it goes ...

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I had some email exchange today with DJI support and they have advised me to send it back to them.
Will let you know how it goes ...

MORE DOWN TIME!

Just roll back unit; a fix is released and forget the App for now..

Dave

hexacop

HexaCop
Even it means a down time, the chances are high that there is a HW fault involved in this issue and I want to get it fixed and work as expected with the latest firmware release.
Means I will send the entire Wookong unit to DJI and let them fix it.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
I don't think it means there is a hardware fault, the hardware hasn't changed in years. However, the software has a different effect, sometime good sometimes bad, every time a new upgrade is released. I doubt they will do anything with your unit if you sent it back, other than tell you it's fine or pretend they fixed something.

I don't think it means there is a hardware fault, the hardware hasn't changed in years. However, the software has a different effect, sometime good sometimes bad, every time a new upgrade is released. I doubt they will do anything with your unit if you sent it back, other than tell you it's fine or pretend they fixed something.
I agree.
However, hexacopter says he can't get into GPS mode at all. He may have a faulty GPS unit, but then again he blames the firmware, and it can't be both (firmware updates don't break GPS hardware).

CrashMaster

I have the WKM, iOSD, 5 way-points etc., but am now looking closley at the Xaircract SuperX Pro..... DJI are really testing the loyalty and patients of its 'Beta Testers' - i.e. us who have over paid for a product, which by now should be flawless but is evidently not.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Well xAircraft have been pretty terrible in the past, I wouldn't be quick to jump on their wagon. To be honest I'm a fan of DJI and have had much better results with their stuff over anyone else's. It's just they keep ****ing about with the firmware. I don't know if they know about modular programming, where you can get one area working just right then leave it alone and working on other areas has no effect on others. They're a bit like Microsoft, sometimes a new version is good, then the next version really stinks. With DJI they seem to try to improve one aspect, but bugger everything else up at the same time - there must be some way not to do that.

P.S. I didn't know that was a swear word as such, makes it look like I used the F word but I didn't :)

This one did, for me anyway. Stopped it working that is.
RC, I think you missunderstood my point. I know the new firmware has issues with talking to the GPS as we have seen plenty of posts to that effect. I was saying that the firmware doesn't break the hardware (I.e. doesn't fry chips that require getting hardware replaced), and I think that from hexacopter's posts, he does have legitimate hardware problems, not just an intermittent GPS drop like the rest are having.

RC Flying

A Drone Mind
Oh right, sorry I missed that then. I thought hexacopter was just adding himself to Droider's list of people affected by the latest firmware, that it was fine before upgrading.

I wonder if this was the issue that caused my brand new S800 Evo to crash on the maiden flight..?
ddikie, reading about your crash (which, BTW, I am really sorry for you and the crash and hope you get up and flying soon), it does not seem like it is the issue that Dave is warning us about. This issue in particular is that the WKM is dropping out of GPS and reverts to Attitude mode. Reading your crash description, it does not read that way. But if you had an iOSD onboard, you would certainly be able to determine that. Did you happen to have one installed? If not, I highly recommend that.
Side note: I totally identify with you and crashing a brand new S800. Happened to me on my 3rd flight and have $800+ of repair costs, and, in my case, the iOSD data proved it was my fault. (Long story described elsewhere on this forum.) It took me several/many flights after that before I felt totally sure of myself again, but you will get there.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Yet again I needed to grab some footage for the project I have been working on and yet again with 11 Satellites on the Spekturm AND Garmin the bloody thing kept switching to ATTI. HAve not had chance to revert back yet but as soon as I have a window I will. I just wonder what wouyld happen to flyers that rely on GSP flight if they use this firmware and also what happens in the event of a TX failure.. would it return home or just go off on its merry way in ATTI..

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
you know, it's funny, being the owner of the worldwide multi-rotor community, i get to see/read a lot of stuff and it's threads like this one that make me sit up and wonder, what the f**k?

isn't DJI making enough money off of us to be able to test and retest new firmware releases before making them available to their customers? aren't you guys freaked out every time something new comes along from them knowing that it might spell the end of your hard work and expensive investments?

i'm not surprised that these things happen, i'm surprised that everyone continues to buy their products and trust their helicopters to DJI's shoddy attitude.

just my two cents. sorry if anyone's offended.

bart

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I would try a HF if I could get a deal.. Thing is that all my craft are CAA registered with WKM so its not that easy or cheap to shift FC's Saying that I have some new units coming from DW one of them is for a test rig so maybe a HF Pro and Gimbal controller could be tested and IF found to be as stable as the rest of my fleet then at the next CAA renewal I may opt to swap FC's to HF...but that comes with a significant cost in the rewrite of the OM AND the retest of every machine I convert to HF!

For now I will revert to what I know works FW wise on DJI WKM

Dave

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I would try a HF if I could get a deal.. Thing is that all my craft are CAA registered with WKM so its not that easy or cheap to shift FC's Saying that I have some new units coming from DW one of them is for a test rig so maybe a HF Pro and Gimbal controller could be tested and IF found to be as stable as the rest of my fleet then at the next CAA renewal I may opt to swap FC's to HF...but that comes with a significant cost in the rewrite of the OM AND the retest of every machine I convert to HF!

For now I will revert to what I know works FW wise on DJI WKM

Dave

As much as I hate to say it, I don't know anymore if HF is the answer! They're off seeking greener pastures elsewhere it seems, I'm not sure where to turn although I'm very anxious to try an MK flight control with 6S/I2C afro ESC's when they become available.

Sorry for the thread drift, carry on!

Bart

ddikie

ddikie, reading about your crash (which, BTW, I am really sorry for you and the crash and hope you get up and flying soon), it does not seem like it is the issue that Dave is warning us about. This issue in particular is that the WKM is dropping out of GPS and reverts to Attitude mode. Reading your crash description, it does not read that way. But if you had an iOSD onboard, you would certainly be able to determine that. Did you happen to have one installed? If not, I highly recommend that.
Side note: I totally identify with you and crashing a brand new S800. Happened to me on my 3rd flight and have $800+ of repair costs, and, in my case, the iOSD data proved it was my fault. (Long story described elsewhere on this forum.) It took me several/many flights after that before I felt totally sure of myself again, but you will get there.

Unfortunately the iOSD & FPV cam / flight recorder & video TX / RX systems were not installed as I was waiting for the new Zenmuse GH3 / Cannon 5d to come out before I installed all this kit onboard..I was just taking it out for a test thinking foolishly all would be ok...should have know better. The issue i face now is that DJI have not released any spare parts apart from the EVO arms for sale yet I have been onto them and there answer was ..production will start soon and we will let you know...whilst the packaging etc may not be ready yet for props esc / motors etc for sure they are all in production for the KIT allready so why they could not release some of these parts for existing EVO owners i can understand..it actually leaves me with the only option to buy a Second EVO kit to get off the ground..I would prefer a droidworx
Skyjib-X4 Titanium but there are no dealers in the UAE to offer support so i would be on my own although i hear they are far more service friendly in there
[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]approach to customer relations..LOL you live and learn..[/FONT]​

DennyR

If you are considering alternatives why not use Naza M? It works for me, but then so does WKM v1 with GPS V.2, I don't use the GPS except for a few special jobs.

I am also using one of my old boards that has stood the test of time and saves a lot of weight.

My alternative that is proving to be a good move is a simple Afro32 with my Dragonlink system. (Turdigy9x with ER9X firmware) The LRS is important if you are flying behind trees etc. 2.4 gives enough range for most AP work but it does not like to get in tight places where you might loose Line of Site. You can also have a little fun and do some FPV. (No RTH so reliable OSD link is required) The Naze32 board is tiny and the system is very basic which I like. The multiwii firmware is very reliable. I would not chance it with GPS yet as that is an ongoing work. I like to keep away from any autonomous inputs that could interfere with the job in hand.