WARNING - Firmware 5.24

B

Bengit

Thanks for the heads up Droider. I had put 5.24 on my unit and got the white flashing when in either GPS or Alti mode. Rolled back to 5.22 today and it is flying fine. Always love moving to the latest and greatest. I mean, after all, what could possibly go wrong????

I did not have any dodgy led flashes when at 5.24, it also appeared to fly perfectly, just don't want to risk it.....

DennyR

I have been using it a lot recently, I had an issue with the GPS dropping out but I assumed it was due to it being an old one that had been knocked about a bit. I changed it to a new V2 unit and so far not had any problems. When it dropped out I ended up with my aileron and elev. sticks right in the corner fighting to hold it upright. " That got the heart going" it was trying to head off somewhere on it's own course.

In fact the job I am currently doing is the toughest I have ever done, it requires a very precise hold whilst I shoot 1440 GoPro footage and 12 mp still images every 5 sec. of birds nests on the side of a vertical cliff. Working at more than 140 feet away at times, the depth perception can be very difficult to judge as I need to fly within 3-4 feet of the nest. Just to make it even more difficult I take off and land on a small boat. The rocking motion of the boat really is a test on your flying skills the whole time. Totally knackered after a couple of hours. That said, this latest model with WKM and another with Naza is fantastic, I could not have done this job with anything else. It is a team effort but one boat driver has already been sacked......

I would make sure you have the latest GPS v2 with this firmware.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have been using it a lot recently, I had an issue with the GPS dropping out but I assumed it was due to it being an old one that had been knocked about a bit. I changed it to a new V2 unit and so far not had any problems. When it dropped out I ended up with my aileron and elev. sticks right in the corner fighting to hold it upright. " That got the heart going" it was trying to head off somewhere on it's own course.

In fact the job I am currently doing is the toughest I have ever done, it requires a very precise hold whilst I shoot 1440 GoPro footage and 12 mp still images every 5 sec. of birds nests on the side of a vertical cliff. Working at more than 140 feet away at times, the depth perception can be very difficult to judge as I need to fly within 3-4 feet of the nest. Just to make it even more difficult I take off and land on a small boat. The rocking motion of the boat really is a test on your flying skills the whole time. Totally knackered after a couple of hours. That said, this latest model with WKM and another with Naza is fantastic, I could not have done this job with anything else. It is a team effort but one boat driver has already been sacked......

Thanks Denny.. so you have no drop out with 5.24 and V2 GPS?

Dave

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I am really very critical against DJI, but the fact that lot's of crash-reports related to GPS are somehow "concentrated", meaning that for a week there is almost no crashes, and than within a day or two we can read reports about GPS failures, crashes or fly-aways almost every hour made me think.....

Here is my conclusion:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/solar-flare-electronics.htm

http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/earth-will-have-15-minutes-to-protect-electronics/

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/05/130514083539.htm

http://www.dw.de/scientists-warn-of-possible-peril-from-2013-solar-flare-activity/a-6041386

Checking the actual solar activity before a flight should be a must these days: http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

I guess it's nothing we can afford to just ignore

Chris

Hi Chris.. Thanks for the info. My Ops record required me to check everything from earth weather to solar weather to predicted satellite coverage of the Lat/long I am working. It all checked out perfect for the day in question.

But thanks for the very useful links that everyone should bookmark

Dave

B

Bengit

Hi Chris.. Thanks for the info. My Ops record required me to check everything from earth weather to solar weather to predicted satellite coverage of the Lat/long I am working. It all checked out perfect for the day in question.

Dave

Dave, have posted your findings at

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1486386&page=1242

Hope you do not mind, getting some interesting responses , cheers Dave B

Just I say I loaded 5.24 back up tonight and had 5 flights, no weird led flashes but didn't have the "balls" to hit failsafe/RTH...lol

Teamflail

Wow Denny, have to say I am in awe of your flying skills. That sounds truly exhausting and must be a huge challenge. Hope someday I can be close to the level of skill you have. Good luck!!

DennyR

Teamfail thanks and Dave, All I can say is that after fitting a new V2 it was a different machine, It felt really locked-in. It's 6 am. now and about to start another day at the office. A window of about 3 hours before the wind and temp. kill me. These machines have 25 min. duration.

Last edited by a moderator:

DennyR

Another good day and now only about 4 nests to do.

Four of us went out in the boat and all came back with a smile on the face, and the GPS v2's all working fine.

Imagine working from a nice cool boat in perfect surroundings. Ah... life's a ***** but some poor sod has got to do it.:tennis:

The most interesting point was when a fishing boat arrived in the firing range waters and we had to chuck um out.

APVXtreme

APVXtreme

Dave

As a matter of fact we are at the height of a solar cycle, the sun is going to shift poles in the next few months. Expect some nasty storms both solar and weather wise. This is one of the strongest cycles we have seen in recorded history so make it a priority to check conditions everytime you fly for the next while...

Cheshirecat

Ah! thanks Dave for the heads up, i too fly 5.24, early days for me with only 7 Flights on the SJ under my belt, Running V2 GPS but will keep my eye out. If i understood correctly i should be on the lookout for a sudden uncommanded veer off course as it drops into oversensitive Atti mode and then back to GPS.
Only seen 9 or more Sats locked and reported by the iOSD but she seemed a bit skittish in GPS this weekend although it was blustery on Sunday and not enough air time yet to fully understand how solid it should be.

DennyR

It is advisable to not move your craft in the first 5 sec from start-up. In this situation that was not possible so I did a recalib. at the start of each days filming. I had no problems with the stability and the lift-off was always straight up and rock solid all the way. View attachment 13267

Attachments

• G0010892.jpg
    G0010892.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 883
  • Me in Boat Akrotiri.jpg
    Me in Boat Akrotiri.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 837

ChrisViperM

Which site do you use and how do you interpret the data?

I use this one:

http://www.n3kl.org/sun/noaa.html

Is there a more thorough/correct way to check? How should I interpret the data? Yes, I'll read some more....

The main figure we are interested is the KP-index......here it's always up-to-date:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/rt_plots/kp_3d.html

http://sunearthday.gsfc.nasa.gov/swac/tutorials/mag_kp.php

Green bars = everything OK

Orange and red bars = I don't fly

Chris

It is advisable to not move your craft in the first 5 sec from start-up. In this situation that was not possible so I did a recalib. at the start of each days filming. I had no problems with the stability and the lift-off was always straight up and rock solid all the way. View attachment 16795

I can't believe you're launching and recovering from that RIB ! As my kids say, AWESOME!

Teamflail

It is advisable to not move your craft in the first 5 sec from start-up. In this situation that was not possible so I did a recalib. at the start of each days filming. I had no problems with the stability and the lift-off was always straight up and rock solid all the way. View attachment 16795

I agree. Can I do the Garth and Wayne move now? "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!!!!" Very impressed Denny!

Edit: Sorry if the Garth and Wayne reference is lost. From a US TV show, Saturday Night Live. I hope it makes sense though!!!

DennyR

Actually the piece of wood at the back was not my idea. Someone else who was pitching for the job wanted it. I simply put my hand out and catch it. Thats also a better solution for T/O as well because you don't get hit with the swell.....

It is the high level of concentration in the 40 deg+ heat that wears you down.:tennis:

The machines that I use are Phantom size, so only 1100 grams with a 6000 mah. bat. I spend a lot of time with the I-phone/vibration APP. An invaluable tool if you want a really stable machine that is also efficient. They are made from carbon, balsa wood and foam. They are not meant to be crashproof as that is not an option plus they must float on water.

You can do a lot with a GoPro black these days......

View attachment 13274 They probably look a bit rough round the edges compared to some of the off the shelf offerings but they are designed and in constant dev. to do the job and try and stay ahead of the game. Everybody and his dog now has a phantom and to be quite honest a phantom can do a lot in the right hands.

The next GoPro and Cineform software could be the final nail in the male jewelry heavy lift syndrome coffin. That would make our chances of long term survival much better.

Sorry about that!

Attachments

• Models.jpg
    Models.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 368

Actually the piece of wood at the back was not my idea. Someone else who was pitching for the job wanted it. I simply put my hand out and catch it. Thats also a better solution for T/O as well because you don't get hit with the swell.....

You can do a lot with a GoPro black these days......

View attachment 16802 They probably look a bit rough round the edges compared to some of the off the shelf offerings but they are designed and in constant dev. to do the job and try and stay ahead of the game. Everybody and his dog now has a phantom and to be quite honest a phantom can do a lot in the right hands.

The next GoPro and Cineform software could be the final nail in the male jewelry heavy lift syndrome coffin. That would make our chances of long term survival much better.

Sorry about that!

Amazing! Great stuff. Indeed, a GoPro Black does some good stuff, here's something I shot recently in my hometown in Ireland, using a DJI F550 and a GoPro black on a cheap gimbal.
What made all the difference to a smooth picture was Premiere Pro's Warp stabiliser effect...
http://youtu.be/KWRv_YMg-qE

Phantoms are the iphones of copters!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
.....The next GoPro and Cineform software could be the final nail in the male jewelry heavy lift syndrome coffin. That would make our chances of long term survival much better.

denny

your tendency to make grand speculations is a never ending source of entertainment for me.

i see we're going in the same direction as far as prop designs go. what's the point of a stiff material is it's being used in a flimsy design?

DennyR

Bart

Ah, so you do find the time to occasionally pitch in with a little counter opinion. No doubt ruffled your feathers with the thought that your DSLR elephant might be a bad idea in the light of natural redundancy. So, as you did take the time to look I will try to explain as much as I can without divulging more than you need to know.

Actually the carbon props. on the larger machine are mounted in a special way and have no bearing on the technology used on the smaller one. The motors which are rewound and balanced to a very high standard are mounted on arms that have a very high torsional strength and if you look closer you will see that the motors are rebuilt so that the drive shaft comes out of the top. This results in a prop. to mount surface overhang of only 6mm. Actually the shafts float softly against the thrust bearings. (magnetically Centered) Coupled with this the ESC's are tuned to these particular motors and this is also a factor in producing the kind of smoothness that is required if you want to even start to think about suppressing aerodynamic harmonics.

The other machine has the motors mounted in the conventional way and as such uses only very light plastic props. 8x4. In comparison to say a Phantom the vibration level is in the order of 50x less than on the samples tested. You should get yourself some proper equipment and start working with facts. Wild theories and guesswork never worked in F1 and they don't with MR's.

As visitors to my workshop will attest to, when I place my Vib. APP on the side of an arm I get three straight lines in the X,Y and Z. The minimal signal that can be seen is the slight Japanese bearing noise.

I have yet to find a high end standard motor that is anywhere near balanced properly. FWIW.

Glad to keep you amused even if it does appear to be out of alignment with your own thinking. Why was I so preoccupied with this vibration tech? Well the TZ40 that I was tasked with developing was the most sensitive camera I have ever seen. Along the way many things came to light.

I make machines that can do the job that keeps me ahead of the opposition so I can continue to do what I do for a living. In the light of recent developments many old timers have and will fall by the wayside.