Zenmuse Z15 GH2 or Z15 GH3?

cbuk

In a nutshell, I am finding it hard to decide between the Z15 GH2 with secraft conversion kit and the Z15 GH3 and any input would be really appreciated. I will be carrying the GH3 although I dont have the Olympus 12mm lens yet. I would like to be able to rebalance for ND filters which I know has been done on the zen GH2 and it also looks like its possible on the newer zen GH3 (http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?15184-DJI-acknowledges-Zenmuse-GH3-fault-But-when-will-it-be-fixed/page4 - post #34).

I have invested a lot of time and money into a new X8 build and I'm now really happy with its stability. My original plan was to use a non camera specific Alexmos brushless gimbal so I could pick and choose cameras and lenses. Unfortunately, I tried this route but couldnt achieve the stability I was hoping for. So this is pushing me down the zenmuse route.

In addition to the reputed stability of the zenmuse, its compatability with the other DJI electronics I have on the craft (WKM, AVL58, OSD and datalink) is an added bonus - the HDMI/AV conversion is especially useful. But are there any strong reasons to go for either the GH2 with secraft conversion of GH3 zen?

I know the zen GH3 had initial problems, a lot of which were sorted with the firmware recent update. But from what I can gather there are still problems with offset horizons and horizon drift when panning. Can anyone confirm whether or not there are still problems with the horizon or any other problems for that matter? Are there, or were there, similar problems with the zen GH2?

I have also heard the general murmours that the build quality of the zen GH3 is not as good as the zen GH2 (or other previous versions of the Z15). Again, is there anyone that has both gimbals that could confirm whether or not this is the case in their opinion? I heard the motors make more noise on the zen GH3 but is the noise indicative of a significant issue/problem? Are there any other differences in build quality? From photos, it looks like the dampeners work on a compressional basis on the newer GH3 but extensional on the older GH2 zen - should this come into the equation when trying to decide which to get?

I get the impression that the zen GH2 is more "time-served" and stable; its for this reason I guess I'm leaning slightly towards the zen GH2 with conversion rather than the newer zen GH3. I think my main concerns with the zen GH3 are the possible horizon problems.

Probably too many questions in this post to answer but it gives an idea of my thought process, allbeit rather confused! Is the choice between the two as difficult as I'm making it or am I missing something obvious? Is there an obvious choice or is it "horses for courses"?

Flubbs

I have an alexmos 2 axis for the same reason, and I have to say I have no problems with it, I've been contemplating the z15-gh3, just to get an easy 3 axis but, I don't want to limit myself to the one camera, especially with the new 4K Panasonic around the corner, I flew my Nikon D7100 with 12-24f4 (1.2Kg) last week and aside from the faff balancing the whole thing it was fine, the only issues I have is controlling it I have it set to one of the rear sliders on the T14, without ratchet, and found it to be notchy so I slowed it down on the TX and it seems to be better, smoother, Flying shortly so hope it is. Found it nice to be able to use longer lenses too.

rotorvista

Hi Chris
I would say the GH3 for the price difference for a start and for the compression dampening as it's a lot more secure than having your camera hanging by some balls of rubber. The motors are only slightly noisier and it's simple to balance it for a ND filter, I was flying with it on today no problems. I solve my horizon issue by levelling it in fpv mode (or whatever you want to call it) and it's fine if panning using the Jibs yaw to pan. I should really adjust my IMU to see if I can sort it out just haven't had the time. I don't know if everyone has a horizon issue maybe just me?

cbuk

Thanks for the reply Ian. The price is going to confuse matters slightly because I was looking at a second hand zen GH2 with conversion kit for around £1350. The gimbal in question is still under warranty so the price difference in getting the zen GH2 would be in my favour (enough to budget for the olympus 12mm). I fully agree price would be a big negative if I was trying to locate and purchase a new zen GH2.

As for the dampening; I've got to agree with you. If I went for the zen GH2 I would use some kind of safety tie or lanyard through the dampeners so if they did come loose, then the gimbal doesnt plummet to the ground (I recall seeing a youtube video about this). I'm wondering if the main problem with the extensional over compressional dampening is safety rather than stabilisation.

Hi Chris
I would say the GH3 for the price difference for a start and for the compression dampening as it's a lot more secure than having your camera hanging by some balls of rubber. The motors are only slightly noisier and it's simple to balance it for a ND filter, I was flying with it on today no problems. I solve my horizon issue by levelling it in fpv mode (or whatever you want to call it) and it's fine if panning using the Jibs yaw to pan. I should really adjust my IMU to see if I can sort it out just haven't had the time. I don't know if everyone has a horizon issue maybe just me?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I've been recommending to people to go for the GH2 version as there have been no complaints about it at all. It just works. I have not heard of anyone having an issue with the dampening balls system either. I thought it might be beneficial as in an incident with the ground the balls should just be ripped out saving the Zen somewhat (I've not put this to the test though!).

I know Carapau uses the GH2 converted to GH3. Maybe he can help make up your mind?

cbuk

Thanks Ben,

I hadn't considered the plus side of the zen GH2 dampeners...valid point. Am I right in thinking you do a lot of single operator work? If so, do you find yourself switching between the different modes during flight or do you fly mainly in fpv/rest mode? Is there any deadband in fpv mode or is it necessary to switch non orientation mode to eliminate all yaw movement? I wont ask any more question for fear of pushing my own thread off topic!

I've been recommending to people to go for the GH2 version as there have been no complaints about it at all. It just works. I have not heard of anyone having an issue with the dampening balls system either. I thought it might be beneficial as in an incident with the ground the balls should just be ripped out saving the Zen somewhat (I've not put this to the test though!).

I know Carapau uses the GH2 converted to GH3. Maybe he can help make up your mind?

Benjamin Kenobi

Hi Hi,

I don't fly in FPV mode but I like the dead band in non-orientation mode as it softens your yaw movements. I do a lot of single operator work and do use course lock (zenmuse) for steady video. A little yaw movement can ruin an otherwise great shot. I also use a two man setup but just give the cam op the pitch control (or tilt as I like to call it), makes it look a lot smoother if tracking a moving subject.

Make sense?

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
The GH2 is an excellent gimbal. I have had experience of the Zen being ejected on a crash but thankfully not on my rig. Without doubt, this saved the gimbal from a lot of damage. I have had no problems with my Zen what so ever. It's a tried and tested design whereas the GH3 version is still having the odd teething problem (this looks as though it might have been solved in the latest firmware). So a big thumbs up from me for the GH2 converted to carry a GH3 and now decision time over to you!

cbuk

Thanks for your replies guys. You obviously rate the zen GH2 highly. As you say Carapau, its now decision time and down to me! Cheers

nemorov

I would go for the GH2. I have a GH3 Zenmuse now and having all sorts of problems with it. OK I've rebalanced a Blackmagic camera to fit it, but its perfectly balanced in all axis yet still makes loads of noise and vibrations which destroy the image quality. The first one I had went back and was changed for a new one but that has the same problems. I have the latest software loaded. My old GH2 gimbal was rock solid from day one even if the camera wasn't perfectly balanced but the GH3 just doesn't seem to be the same beast. Obviously if I had access to a GH3 and lens I could prove once and for all that this thing is not working properly but from what I've seen so far I would go back to my GH2 any day.

LarsNiko

But isn't there some problems with the center of the lens not being in in the horizontal center of the gimbal and therefore moves up and down while rolling?

Benjamin Kenobi

What's that got to do with this topic? This is a GH2/3 zen discussion.

And no, I don't notice the problem you mentioned. The lens seems centred to me.

LarsNiko

What? It got everything to do with this thread? I've read more than once that when you convert Zen GH2 to GH3 with the Secraft kit the GH3 comes of center on the horizontal axis. I own the GH2 and want to convert so it's an important question to me. But if you have experience in the subject I trust you. :)
It's hard to find videos from converted Zenmuses.

Benjamin Kenobi

Oh, that's what you meant. So sorry!

HorizonAP in the UK have lots of videos with a GH3. BBStratus too. Flyonix were using one also.

Everyone seems to think up imaginary problems with the Zenmuse but the results are still stunning compared to anything else. It really is a great gimbal!

LarsNiko

Oh, that's what you meant. So sorry!

HorizonAP in the UK have lots of videos with a GH3. BBStratus too. Flyonix were using one also.

Everyone seems to think up imaginary problems with the Zenmuse but the results are still stunning compared to anything else. It really is a great gimbal!

No problem, maybe my comment was a little confusing. :) I'm Swedish so english isn't my primary language.
Thank you! I will have a look!
Yes it is! But when you convert it and change the frame I guess some problems can occur.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!

with which lens?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
just ordered the GH3 version. oh how i hope i don't regret this decision!

now i need a good used GH3 body......Craigslist here I come.

cbuk

just ordered the GH3 version. oh how i hope i don't regret this decision!

now i need a good used GH3 body......Craigslist here I come.

I doubt you will regret it Bart. I went for the ZGH3 in the end and must say I'm blown away by its stability. It was the fact that the ZGH2 relied on extensional dampners rather than compressional dampners that swayed me to go for the ZGH3 and not ZGH2.

The panning can be a bit twitchy starting but I have my pan set up using one of my futaba dials so its never going to be as smooth as sticks. I have my tilt set up using a head tracker plugged into my trainer port and velco'ed onto the back of the tx and that works a treat.

A question for you @Bartman, does the @ function work on this forum's software?