Greatings from Southern California

Lochenvar

Hi All,

I’ve been flying RC gliders since the late 70’s and have recently been crashing an old EF Sabre. Since I’m now out of spare parts for the Sabre, it’s time to move on. I’m amazed at the changes to the RC world in recent years and am looking forward to transitioning to multi-rotors. What’s nice is that my daughter has caught the bug (go figure) and we’ll be doing this together.

Our thoughts, at this point, are to build up something on an F450 frame and learn as we go. We’ve already learned a lot.

Thanks to all.

Glen

p.s. I just spent Christmas day in shorts and flip-flops, and even for S. CA that's just not right.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
Hi All,

I’ve been flying RC gliders since the late 70’s and have recently been crashing an old EF Sabre. Since I’m now out of spare parts for the Sabre, it’s time to move on. I’m amazed at the changes to the RC world in recent years and am looking forward to transitioning to multi-rotors. What’s nice is that my daughter has caught the bug (go figure) and we’ll be doing this together.

Our thoughts, at this point, are to build up something on an F450 frame and learn as we go. We’ve already learned a lot.

Thanks to all.

Glen

p.s. I just spent Christmas day in shorts and flip-flops, and even for S. CA that's just not right.

Hi Glen!

I put a post up but I messed it up...LOL....

Here are some threads to get you started with the DJI F450! Note there is a sticky on the group build that will get you started!

Keep in mind....research, research, research! It will help tremendously!

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=505632

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?6005-Newbie-DJI-F450-Build

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4330-Batteries-for-dji-f450

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1881544

This thread is about us trying to build an F450....good information here from basics of tools to a discussion on ESC's etc.....

http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?14280-Group-Build

I am going to build one of these within the next month....awaiting supplies.

If you are getting back into the hobby then I suggest you determine your GOALS with flying the quads or hexas...etc.

There are a ton of new things on the market nowadays from flying FPV (you watch as you fly) to GPS and waypoints (you tell the multirotor where to go)....autoleveling, retrun to home, etc.......

Once you start to learn all you CAN do with the quad, assuming you desire to, you will open a literal Pandora's box of things you can chase down a rabbit hole ;)

Hope this gets you started!

Cheers,

Mike :)

Lochenvar

Thanks for the start Mike. I truly appreciate the links and the inspiration.

I think the changes that amaze me the most are the radios and the flight controllers. My first radio, back in '79, was a Futaba FP3FN. I saved for a year and paid about $180 for it, and it was one of the least expensive radios going back then (Kraft, ha, out of my league). Now that same $180 (or less) will get you a programmable best. FC's, I won't even mention how advanced; they could probably have landed the LEM.

The best part though is watching the interest light up in my daughter's eyes. The flying parts are second nature to her. I'm constantly amazed at how fast she picks things up. She's got great hand-eye-controller coordination (she was born with a controller in her hand) and has been flying circles around me with the little Estes ProtoX. Now though, she needs to learn the heart of the matter which is the "research, research, research" and the knitting together of systems. There, she has not a clue. We'll start with the links above, add a few hundred Google searches, and she'll see that there is way more to this than wiggling a Tx stick around. She wans to do aerial photography. Ok by me, off we go.

Yeah, we have no seasons here...

Thanks all,

Glen

BTW, how do you paste text into a thread?? I had typed this out in Word, but it wouldn't paste over. Right click didn't work, nor did ctrl "c" and "v"...

COMike93yj

Still Building!
That's great that your daughter is so excited about this! It is really nice to have someone else be as enthusiastic about the hobby so it makes flying all that more fun!

Not certain on why the cut/paste doesn't work for you. I simply just highlight the area and use the right click for copy...once the cursor is in the box and flashing I hit right click and paste it. Odd....

Lochenvar

Yeah, the paste thing is weird. Typing directly in the box is a slow process...

We'll see if she can stay committed once the research confusion sinks in. To me it's sometimes the most satisfying part; when you actually figure it out.

I envy you in Colorado, I would certainly trade the warm winters, concrete and asphalt to live in your state's beauty year round.

Thanks again for the primers...

COMike93yj

Still Building!
No worries Glen!

All my pieces and parts are starting to arrive via the UPS/FedEx/postman and I am getting excited to start things up. I am going to get an iCharger 308 Duo. I skimped on an Accucell 6 and when it arrived one of the buttons just simply fell out! HobbyKing gave me a store credit for it and did not want it back. I then realized that in the future I will be charging a lot more batteries and decided to get a nice charger. I also picked up some HP server power supplies that came in today and I will run them in series to power up the charger.

It was a beautiful morning here in CO. Hit the mid 50's but the temp has plummeted to about 40 and it is still going down. The radar is showing snow headed our way so I hope it gets here soon so I can watch it!

Cheers!