Mikrokopter YE GODS, talk about fiddly

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
How come no one here ever mentioned how absolutely fiddle-arse these MK drones are to assemble?

In the interests of getting a working drone organised ASAP I ordered an MK Octo (the four 'Y' arm version).

I have been soldering instrument and mic cables for years and fixing my amps etc. but this micro component soldering is something else. That molex socket for the power distribution board? Oh My God!

And then to really brighten my day a teeny-weeny little surface mounted wotsit has fallen off one the BL-Ctrl boards. That teeny-weeny doodah is going to hold up EVERYTHING for days while MK decide whether to replace the board, because nothing else can be done until the power distribution is installed, dammit.

Actually, I am a little surprised that the boards are not lacquered. I mean, no normal person is going to try and replace components are they? Just whack a new board on there.

RBlax

Did you get your boards pre-assembled? I personally had my power, fc, navi, and gps boards pre- assembled. Otherwise it would have looked like a soldering party up in there.

Putting these things together can be painful, but like everything else that is good. If it was easy then everyone would be doing it :)

Good Luck!

Crash

Defies Psychics
Actually, I am a little surprised that the boards are not lacquered. I mean, no normal person is going to try and replace components are they? Just whack a new board on there.
It's actually not that hard with the right tools. (see pic)

But you are right. MK should solder on at least some of the components. I think they do it so if the board is bad, they can blame it on the builder. ;)

Can you take a pic of the missing part on yours? I've been seeing a few parts falling off BL-Ctrls recently.

Attachments

• 5-01-11_ 003.jpg
    5-01-11_ 003.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 391

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
It is a small capacitor that fell off. MK said "... just solder it back on...". Well, of course it cannot be soldered because the solder pads are still on the board.

Before buying this kit I had decided that Droidworx drones looked better and I was also wary of MK because of comments about bad customer service. But I wanted to get a drone up and running ASAP and plumped for the MK Octo. Looks like I'm going to find out for myself all about their after sales service.

View attachment 721

Attachments

• BL-Ctrl-no.5.jpg
    BL-Ctrl-no.5.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 381

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
i don't know the MK guys personally but I'd guess they're a couple of computer programmers who got the right combination of code and pixie dust to make their board fly well. given the volume of product they're shipping, the quality problems probably reflect that their specialty is limited to programming and not manufacturing.

DennyR

I personally waisted a lot of money with MK and I will never go back. Pathetic engineering. Quality control does not exist. I sent two FC's back there, one of which had never been used. I got a bill for 250 euros for what should have been a warranty issue over the gyro problems they were having. And then when they eventually sent the boards back they were in the same state as when I sent them.
I guess it must be a part time job for a couple of guys who work in the electronics industry. Crash was right, they leave off a few components to get out of warranty. Once you put a soldering iron on it............ plenty of better stuff out there that works and unlike MK it keeps on working.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
All the boards I have bought have come pre assembled.. The BL's need soldering in to the distribution ring and the molex.. ahhh yes that little beuty.. I got a .4mm needle tip for my iron for that one.. Tin the two outerpads and the center little one. use the center little one to get the molex in place then work you way out. TEST it before dabing the two outer pads because if you have to get it off your buggered if you do them before testing.

plenty of better stuff out there that works and unlike MK it keeps on working.

Denny what you using?

BTW This fell off one of mine

attachment.php

jes1111

...I'd guess they're a couple of computer programmers...
Programmers? No! Anything but...! I've seen their code - it's a mess! In the bad old days when I ran programmers, I'd have fired anyone that turned in code like that!

Bartman

then they're running an illicit pixie dust lab and disguising it as flight and motor controllers

Crash

Defies Psychics
It is a small capacitor that fell off. MK said "... just solder it back on...". Well, of course it cannot be soldered because the solder pads are still on the board.

If you flip the cap over, are the metal pads still on it?

Any chance you can take a macro photo of the cap and failed joint.

tucker

I've been using an MK okto for one full year with not one mishap. You guys should buy these things RTF if you can't figure out how to solder a molex!

Bartman

actually, for $75 it's worth ordering the FC stuff ARF'd from the dealers. The power boards though, $200, is a harder number to accept but it's probably worth it if everything works when it arrives.
bart

DennyR

Droider

I am using Arducopter, OpenPilot, Minsoo Kim, Fyetech. All good stuff. One of my Arducopter boards has different gyros. I have a lot of MK stuff that is in good working order but I just wont use it out of principle. any reasonable offer accepted.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Droider

I am using Arducopter, OpenPilot, Minsoo Kim, Fyetech. All good stuff. One of my Arducopter boards has different gyros. I have a lot of MK stuff that is in good working order but I just wont use it out of principle. any reasonable offer accepted.

Got any 2.1 flight controllers you want to part with?

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
for $75 it's worth ordering the FC stuff ARF'd from the dealers.

Did not no ithe FC came any other way unless its the bare board you are talking about.. The ones I have bought (2) came ready to fly.. only thing else in the box was th buzzer.

Thanks Denny.. I will go OP when they get the bigger board for sure.. I am weel pleased with my CC quad

Dave

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well, the MK Octo is all together and remarkably it appears to work - even with the roughshod molex connector (gosh, wish I was as good at fiddle-arse soldering as Tucker :)).

It has taken a full week. Hasn't flown yet, in fact props have not yet been put on because I have only just finished wading through the KopterTool program. Only one major delay that was finally tracked down to a crummy ribbon cable connector between FC and Navi boards that would not grip the pins. Will ask MK for a replacement.

BTW, MK sent me another capacitor to replace the one that fell of the BL board. The original one could not be replaced because its solder pads were left behind on the board when it fell off.

Will see if it can fly sensibly when the rain stops.