Yaw and altitude hold with Naza/GPS

kloner

Aerial DP
it could be as simple as the motors wanting oil to the props being out of balance. anything little the craft has a hard time making the motors do everything perfect. One thing i've noticed is the more available power the better. 28mm motors or more should be the minimum to do much more than hover for the naza to work really well.

your close now, feel for heat in anything, if found chase bearing/prop balance in that direction. if cool, keep cranking the gains

DJIFlyer

it could be as simple as the motors wanting oil to the props being out of balance. anything little the craft has a hard time making the motors do everything perfect. One thing i've noticed is the more available power the better. 28mm motors or more should be the minimum to do much more than hover for the naza to work really well.

your close now, feel for heat in anything, if found chase bearing/prop balance in that direction. if cool, keep cranking the gains

I am using Cobra 2217/20 KV 960 motors with 22amp Cobra ESCs on this quad. I checked them with my digital laser thermometer after a 7-8 minute flight and they were only 95 degrees which seems pretty cool considering that it is already 85 degrees outside temp. I have never considered oiling the motors in any way and did not know that one could do that. I figured that they had sealed bearings. I always balance my props as close to perfection as possible because smooth aerial photography is my goal. I am going to head out again right now and try some more test.

DJIFlyer

this is the oil the main US Cobra importer sells

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/product_info.php?cPath=70&products_id=372

it's not needed till the grease starts wearing off, it'll extend the life, you'll see it in heat first, drop of oil heat goes away

Thanks for the link. I will look into it. I just came in from flying one lipo and noticed the strangest thing: Yesterday the quad would hold altitude when flying straight away and lose altitude when reversing straight home (same orientation; nose stays forward). Today it is the opposite. I have heard that sun on some sensor can cause this but my Naza FC is covered by a small black dome (a little lid) on top that will not allow sunlight to hit it. This is really odd.

DJIFlyer

I just ran it again and noticed something new, and embarrassing. When I changed out my lipo I realized that the previous one had been mounted in such a way that the CD was shifted slightly forward. I experimented with this and it made a huge difference in terms of holding altitude in both forward movement and reverse. As a pilot I realize how important proper weight and balance is so this was stupid oversight on my part. Apparently my motors are not prepared to compensate for this very efficiently so I guess I will have to dial this in more carefully.

kloner

Aerial DP
yea, your gonna want to get the cg consistent. i do velcro straps and i always line up a common thing like arm bolt X or whatever. cg doesn't matter to hover, but as soon as you do forward flight it's all about cg. in general you want the cg back a little bit for forward flight........ nose heavy sucks on multirotors

DJIFlyer

yea, your gonna want to get the cg consistent. i do velcro straps and i always line up a common thing like arm bolt X or whatever. cg doesn't matter to hover, but as soon as you do forward flight it's all about cg. in general you want the cg back a little bit for forward flight........ nose heavy sucks on multirotors

This was a huge resolution for me. I can get this quad to fly perfectly in all directions now with just a little bit of extra consideration for when I mount my lipo. I also believe that your tip about finalizing the assistant with 'green' in the throttle window was critical as well. Thanks so much for helping me to work this out. I am going to get into some fine tuning for weight and balance when I get home from work later today. I'll drop you a note when I get some video.