Y6 versus Hexacopter....... Advantages one over the other? Chime in!!

tombrown1

Ney Lad you need something more challenging like UK winds!

I think a global meet is inevitable. After all the support I have received over the last couple of weeks it has made me really want to meet more of you guys.. how about us starting to looka the possibility of maybe a east coast US meet up. OR where do we all consider a global central point?

Dave

Love to host some of you guys out here on the east coast. I'm in Connecticut. There's a pretty good meetup in Swansea, Massachussetts near Cape Cod that meets about twice a year. Check out the 2nd annual multirotor fest thread over at that other site.

Lots of beautiful places to film around these parts. Say the word and I'll help put it together.

Tom

matwelli

Also I have found that a failing motor on a Hexa means a safe, but hard, landing whereas a failure on a Y6 means an immediate and uncontrollable crash at least with a Naza controller.

Redundancy - prototype Y6 :D

admittedly it had no payload, redundancy wont work unless you have more than 50% reserve thrust capacity

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi May,

Those are some really good results. Do you think the results will be the same if you left the props on but un-plugged the motors instead, my thinking is that this would cause more instability in the yaw department. I know the rotational mass on the motors are pretty small but I think it will still have a big effect.

Regards,

Andre

matwelli

Hi May,

Those are some really good results. Do you think the results will be the same if you left the props on but un-plugged the motors instead, my thinking is that this would cause more instability in the yaw department. I know the rotational mass on the motors are pretty small but I think it will still have a big effect.

Regards,

Andre

the results would be worse with the props on, if its a lower prop that has the issue, as it will freewheel and effectively block a very big %age of the thrust from the upper motor

if its an upper motor that dies, the results would be alot better

a true hex dosent have that issue (no lower props to block the uppers)

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I am to old and to long in the tooth to rise to challenges like that. I know what I know and for everything I need to do when I HAVE to do it there is no way a flat can do what I do with my Y6. I am sure in Hawaii when the wind blows you batten down the hatches coz u know what coming.. the rest of the time its bliss to fly in.

As far as redundancy goes then I dont even consider it. In my position I have enough other things to think about, if its going to fail it will fail, if I flew every flight I do thinking that was a possibility I would take up knitting.

I applaud your enthusiasm for the flat over the Y6 and you seem to know your craft so why even bother asking..

As far as prop testing is concerned then I have been there done it a long time ago.

I moved from the dark side of this art to a system that works for me and my requirements.. it works fine, in fact it works fookin brilliantly as far as I and my clients are concerned.

Please fee free to post your videos . mine are at

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos

Dave

Very well Dave, it's only a friendly challenge anyway...just gives me a reason to fly more :) http://www.youtube.com/helloman1976

My wind signature is so tiny I really have very little trouble with winds. I have video on there where I'm flying in 35mph winds with 45+mph gusts, watch me land there lol. My hexa is 24" across, the arms have holes through them, the main disc in the center is about 6 inches and the height without the legs is about 4 inches so my wind "signature" if you will is about ZERO. The legs are the only thing that cause me to drift in the wind and I only have those because I like my Go Pro underneath and I could just as easily place it where there are no props at all and on a gimble even and still maintain that same 4" profile and I mean I can do that right now without much effort, maybe 20 minutes max. I have a stick that sticks out from the base of the model that puts the camera in front of the entire model. It has a basic and simple gimble on the end of it, one axis, no props period.

DennyR

Now if you really want to lay down the gauntlet how about any MR against my TDR. Hybrid. OK it's not fair but.....

In between the bad weather here, I started shooting Naza H demo that shows just how good this stabilizer/autopilot really is. If you can fly a MR to a reasonable standard you could fly this thing. It was hands off in manual mode during the calibration flight.

Speed, stability, endurance, ease of transport, line of site orientation, reliability, Auto-rotation, Dual camera system, Even vibration....,.,. Can even throw in some gentle inverted aeros.

In GPS mode it looks like it is nailed to the sky.:tennis: You owe it to yourselves to get a small cheap heli with a Naza-H and see what you are missing. JR have something that is awesome for about 900 ready to go. With all Helis you do need to be careful with your maintenance and set-up.

Nice snow vid. BTW Dave.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
Now if you really want to lay down the gauntlet how about any MR against my TDR. Hybrid. OK it's not fair but.....

In between the bad weather here, I started shooting Naza H demo that shows just how good this stabilizer/autopilot really is. If you can fly a MR to a reasonable standard you could fly this thing. It was hands off in manual mode during the calibration flight.

Speed, stability, endurance, ease of transport, line of site orientation, reliability, Auto-rotation, Dual camera system, Even vibration....,.,. Can even throw in some gentle inverted aeros.

In GPS mode it looks like it is nailed to the sky.:tennis: You owe it to yourselves to get a small cheap heli with a Naza-H and see what you are missing. JR have something that is awesome for about 900 ready to go.

Nice snow vid. BTW Dave.

Oh it's on, I'm bringing this then...LOL!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Seems I have a few questons to answer here, great it gets my head out of the mess I am dealing with right now!

Dave, thanks for the feedback. Not "obnoxious" at all - you've got the background to confidently state what you know. I appreciate the info. So... what camera are you planning to lift with the SJLX4?

I have built it for lifting upto 2.5KG. It has a purpose but what ever I lift it wont be mine!. It will fly for about 15 mins with the CX730 / 550D but I never really want to fly for that amount of time anyhow. I usually limit planned flights to 6/8mins max. SO my ADX3 is more than capable of that with 1.1Kg.

Breezmount
I'm guessing LIDAR.
Nope. But this is something I have been asked to look at.

Tombrown1
Love to host some of you guys out here on the east coast. I'm in Connecticut. There's a pretty good meetup in Swansea, Massachussetts near Cape Cod that meets about twice a year. Check out the 2nd annual multirotor fest thread over at that other site.

Lots of beautiful places to film around these parts. Say the word and I'll help put it together.
Post some links. That sounds quality and I would be well up for a trip. Thanks for chipping in.

Matwell... you just got to much time down there buddy.. just love your innovations and (this wont be a word but) inventionalness! ;-)

Pilotman
Want to see you videos but your link isn't correct.
Sorry heres the link
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDroider

Helloman1976. good stuff, you obviously have something you like... so do I! There is no way I could keep a 'wind signature' like that and fly the cameras I have to. Hence my set up. Now if we are talking wind signatures for must fly then my F450/GP3 is the tool.

Denny, just now and again and I mean just now and again I wander off and look at SR. I am so tempted to give it a go. Maybe and Just maybe if I could jump a plane to your gaff you may convince me to give one a whirl... BUT I really have to weigh up just how to place it in my portfolio which I find hard to justify, especially when you look at what my Y6 was battling in the Rivington video and also the English Lakes video I posted on Vimeo. BTW I am honoured you liked my Rivi shoot.. Gives me a bit of a hike up after all the SH1T I have been through this last few weeks.

Helloman.. I guess the quadshot is going to serve a purpose but its not on my radar as being anything I could employ.

Dave

DennyR

You are welcome to come over but the weather is no good for about two more months. We start skiing next week.

It is not such a big deal to get into helis. and you don't need such a bespoke machine such as my TDR Hybrid. The Naza H will make it a lot easier. I think with Align coming into the market with the S800 Trecker cameraship it will turn a few heads, for those who want to lift Red Epics etc. but I don't see the big picture going that way, I think cameras and gimbals are going to get better and smaller so the helis will not need to be so large. I am currently flying my TDR on 4000 mah batteries.

helloman1976

Ziptie Relocation Expert
I really don't have much of a problem with wind unless I'm hovering or something like that and it's heavy wind, say 25mph+. When I go up to 1500 feet on a windy day I get blown around some but other than I really dont have much of an issue with it. My kind of flying is not your kind of flying for sure. Most of you guys want to get the arms and blades out of the shot and for me, that's apart of the shot! lol.... I like seeing the machine, I don't care about making money filming things...could care less. I like sport flying too, low, fast, high, falling, tumbling, rolling etc etc...no gimble gonna hold me down :) "...cuz there ain't no stings on me..." - Pinocchio.

I'm still looking into these inline 8's and 6's Kloner was talking about. I bet they are fast and apparently are now also becoming flying wings that can transition from one state to another. I've been waiting for that to show up so I can finally get an Osprey :D

View attachment 9299

Attachments

• bellboeing_v_22_osprey.jpg
    bellboeing_v_22_osprey.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 334

jfro

Aerial Fun
Newbie here. Looking for the silky smooth video shots I see on the Octo's but on a smaller and less costly setup. Trying to decide between hexa or maybe a XY8 or quad 8.

Appears that for Ti, GH2, or Gh3, and down, a XY8 might be a decent compromise between this Y6 or Hexa conversation?

jfro

Aerial Fun
Doider, I just figured out today what a XY8 was and that is Bartman creation and am now following it. Watched some footage posted by Droider which I understand is a XY8.

tombrown1

Seems I have a few questons to answer here, great it gets my head out of the mess I am dealing with right now!

I have built it for lifting upto 2.5KG. It has a purpose but what ever I lift it wont be mine!. It will fly for about 15 mins with the CX730 / 550D but I never really want to fly for that amount of time anyhow. I usually limit planned flights to 6/8mins max. SO my ADX3 is more than capable of that with 1.1Kg.

Breezmount Nope. But this is something I have been asked to look at.

Tombrown1 Post some links. That sounds quality and I would be well up for a trip. Thanks for chipping in.

Matwell... you just got to much time down there buddy.. just love your innovations and (this wont be a word but) inventionalness! ;-)

Pilotman
Sorry heres the link
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheDroider

Helloman1976. good stuff, you obviously have something you like... so do I! There is no way I could keep a 'wind signature' like that and fly the cameras I have to. Hence my set up. Now if we are talking wind signatures for must fly then my F450/GP3 is the tool.

Denny, just now and again and I mean just now and again I wander off and look at SR. I am so tempted to give it a go. Maybe and Just maybe if I could jump a plane to your gaff you may convince me to give one a whirl... BUT I really have to weigh up just how to place it in my portfolio which I find hard to justify, especially when you look at what my Y6 was battling in the Rivington video and also the English Lakes video I posted on Vimeo. BTW I am honoured you liked my Rivi shoot.. Gives me a bit of a hike up after all the SH1T I have been through this last few weeks.

Helloman.. I guess the quadshot is going to serve a purpose but its not on my radar as being anything I could employ.

Dave

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1728460&highlight=swansea

Next meetup will be spring. Looks like there is going to be fpv racing this year!

HPL

Doider, I just figured out today what a XY8 was and that is Bartman creation and am now following it. Watched some footage posted by Droider which I understand is a XY8.

Now that you have figured it out, could you 'splain it to those of us who have NO clue please?

DennyR

Aye Up Denny U got a link?

Dave
I am planning to put the Naza-H Vid. up next week when it's finished, just putting a GoPro-3 on the side to see the Zen working, thats is. if it stops blowing a gale and pissing down.

I feel sorry for the poor people who came here for a holiday last month. They were expecting blue skies and endless sunshine. At least it's a bit greener.

It did not used to be like this. Five years ago we had to ship water into Cyprus by tanker from Greece, this place was drier than a dead dingos donger, all of the dams were empty. That and the bad forest fires gave me something else to document from the air and add to a book profect. They can have their water back now.

I have a book that sells for 20 euros that also documents the North side of the Island. It was the only time in 36 years that the Turks allowed anyone to officially overfly. It is unique as I doubt that it will happen again in my lifetime. It is a best seller and comes with a 40min DVD full of aerial video production with voice over from David Symonds (BBC).

It is also a good reference for those out there who might one day want to make some money shooting a book. I can tell you how to go about self publishing. You only get paid once to shoot a gig but books can sell for many years.

Most of the images in that book have sold countless times to other publishers. PM me if thats of interest.