WKM in ATTI/GPS hovers for 2 minutes and nose dive.

Hello:

I purchase a WKM/S800 and on my maiden flight.. the S800 hovers for about 1-2 minutes at about 2 feet off the ground.. I walked around to inspect the vibrations, the unit took a nose dive. I did not get it on video.

So, I called up the place I purchase it from, and could not do much except order parts for me since I did not have it on video, and though I am an honest man, I can't expect them to trust my word. I order arms, rotors and esc anyway.

So, while i was waiting for the S800 parts, I went ahead and ordered a new WKM and a F550 ARF (motors, ESC, blades).. this time, I had better luck.. it flys great.. only issue was that when I would try to calibrate, it would go BLUE LED for the horizontal calibration, but when I turned 360, expecting the GREEN, no GREEN LED.. the BLUE just turned off.

Anyway, I video taped it and the seller as me to send it back and suggested that I use the first WKM to put on the F550 and fly it on there while wait for the replacement S800 and the other WKM to get looked at.

So, after the swap the WKM from the S800 to the F550, I finally got it calibrated and flew it around.. works great.. except for some twitching and bird chirping from the unit when flying. I did a video and flew it out far on a GPS/ATTI.. about 5 mins and activated Fail-Safe by turning off my TX. The bird came back as expected, twitching along the way and landed it about 1-2 feet from the initial takeoff.. i was please since that is the first time that this specific WKM has flown since the S800 flipped. I checked the ESC solder as others have posted but have had another person check it and they also don't see it being an issue that would cause the ESC chirping.

After this WKM and the F550 landed, I just took it up and hovered about 15ft on GPS/ATTI and the plan was to let it fly till the battery went low and activate fail-safe land. Just as I picked up and moved the camera in view of the TX and F550, and was going to set it next to the TX so that the camera can see both the TX and the F550 hovering till it lands. .the F550 flips just like the S800.. on camera this time. I did not have the TX on hand.. it was also in the video sitting on the bench.

The person I purchase from is great and very responsive. They are also going to take care of fixing the ESC heat fix in replacing the 30ohms resistors with the 0-5 ohms wire on the S800. They also are helping me with some free replacement arms for the F550.. that was a good gesture and ask me to send this WKM back to them for testing also.

They are doing what they can and so far I am very please with their support, but DJI has not recommended or commented on my situations (video) as of yet. I have spoken to several FAA inspectors in this area and they voice the safety of these things, I was a fool to think that the more expensive FC would help minimize some concerns.. now I know how dangers these could be (low-end, high-end, any end) if the LIPOS would catch on fire after it falls from a higher altitude. We have had a pretty dry season and hot.. so it would not take much to enjoy the fireworks and put more FAA eyes on this potential fun hobby.

I am wondering if anyone has had similar or know of anyone that has experience this.. (watch video).. remember, the F550 had been hovering for about 5 mins or less already.. it also has completed a RTH and landed accurately. What are possible causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiNfdNZxYU

Thanks again,

KS

apeman88

What firmware are you on? The newest 5.12 have some issues especially on Octo where motors will either spin to full speed or shut off completely. There's a thread on there on that.

Ken

Hello Ken,

thanks for the heads up... this specific WKM was on 5.08 when it took down the S800 a few weeks ago.. then when I moved it to the F550 frame, I updated it to the 5.12. Both are Hexa.. Are there any places for WKM users to post environement and issues similar to bug tracker or something like that? I am new to this and would really benefit from being able to read a bug tracker to get current on historical data.

Again thanks for the reply and suggestions.

Regards,

KS

plingboot

bird chirping?

i've had this on my quads and it's always been related to esc/motor timing issues - and mainly due to the mt3506's i'm persissting with.

when there's a significant quick input, one esc will either reset or the motor will stutter (making that noise) and then theres a similar endo crash. but i fly low over LONG grass while forcing the issue, to avoid damage.

what esc and motors are you using?

HEX junky

How old is your WKM? if before Jan 2012 then you could have the issue with Motor1. There is a DJI service bulletin for this...you need to check it, sounds like this might be the problem.

EgonW3

Hello:

I am wondering if anyone has had similar or know of anyone that has experience this.. (watch video).. remember, the F550 had been hovering for about 5 mins or less already.. it also has completed a RTH and landed accurately. What are possible causes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQiNfdNZxYU

Ca 6 weeks ago I had similar crash: http://vimeo.com/43633734 (password: HexaCrash). Crash is at 2:18.
I've bought it in the end of january 2012 and received it in february. It was flying without any problems on my F450. After a crash caused by my mistake (lipos out of juice) I've rebuilt it to F550 and upgraded it to 5.06. I had two crashes, both caused by fliping right during hovering. I've also niticed some unexpected twitching during flight and white flashes (my IMU is precisely and firmly fixed on lower plate, without any foam tapes etc).
I've replaced M6 ESC and motor and downgraded it to 5.02 (mostly because of higher temperature of motors). After that i had no such problems (I've only notiiced tendency to drift). Now I've upgraded to 5.12 and after first flight the only problem I've noticed is that i need much higher gains.

@plingboot,

I am using the 30A OPTO and DJI 2212/920KV motors that came with the ARF F550 kit.

I have another video of a flight that is just forward moving, no other input and you can hear it chirp and see it tip as a plane waving at you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VkMHknS1S0 listen carefully at 0:32-0:35 as it flies to the left of the screen.

KS

bird chirping?

i've had this on my quads and it's always been related to esc/motor timing issues - and mainly due to the mt3506's i'm persissting with.

when there's a significant quick input, one esc will either reset or the motor will stutter (making that noise) and then theres a similar endo crash. but i fly low over LONG grass while forcing the issue, to avoid damage.

what esc and motors are you using?

@HEX junky,

I just got this less then 2 weeks ago. I have it sent back to the seller to look at it. They are pretty helpful and have agreed to help with providing 2 arms that had broke too.

KS